Open Aire Aktiv build thread

skunark

Re: Open Aire Aktiv build thread
« Reply #80 on: 24 Sep 2017, 09:08 pm »
Jimbones,

What's the trick with the veneer making it wrap around from the top panel to the side panel?   I can't seem to zoom in enough to notice if it was mitered or a small edge.  If it's a small edge, did you apply the side, flush trim, top, flush trim? 

Jim

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #81 on: 24 Sep 2017, 09:27 pm »
See response embedded
OK so the reason Brian said it will not (or maybe should not is because of the inductance of the voice coil in the woofers. I will try different methods

Note the drop just below 200 hz, Brian says that is room issue. either way you can see it wont make 200 hz

Try the trick of generating a 200Hz tone with your ear right up next to the speaker and see if you can hear it.

jimbones

« Reply #82 on: 24 Sep 2017, 10:01 pm »
Jimbones,

What's the trick with the veneer making it wrap around from the top panel to the side panel?   I can't seem to zoom in enough to notice if it was mitered or a small edge.  If it's a small edge, did you apply the side, flush trim, top, flush trim? 

Jim

Ha ha it's no trick. What i did was use solid cherry on the ends and router them. Came out looking very similar to Tineo.

Danny Richie

« Reply #83 on: 25 Sep 2017, 01:30 pm »
Keep in mind that your crossing over point will be where they are -6db down. If you are at an average of 76 then your -6db down point is 65db. You're still hitting 65db all the way up to about 280Hz. So playing up there isn't the problem. You just have a room related dip at around 180 to 190Hz.

jimbones

« Reply #84 on: 25 Sep 2017, 03:35 pm »
I am playing with spk placement.  Still see dip. Grrrr. Time to get agressive. :banghead: :banghead:

Danny Richie

« Reply #85 on: 25 Sep 2017, 04:25 pm »
I am playing with spk placement.  Still see dip. Grrrr. Time to get agressive. :banghead: :banghead:

You haven't mentioned which side you are having the issue with either. Is it the left side or the right side? Post measurements of each and we can start to narrow it down.

I take it that you are now measuring at the listening position? 

jimbones

« Reply #86 on: 25 Sep 2017, 11:57 pm »
OK so I think I eliminated the 10db narrow dip at 180hz. I pushed the speakers within 2 ft of the front wall, they were pushed about 2 ft closer (didnt measure but probably 8 ft center to center) I had a peak at 45hz which I was able to knock down using the Eq adjustment. The mic is now at the listening position. I moved the bass traps around but seem to have too much affect. see response below.

So would anybody say my work is done with this (left) woofer? Should I do the right now, and then in combo?

Danny Richie

« Reply #87 on: 26 Sep 2017, 02:23 pm »
That looks pretty good.

jimbones

« Reply #88 on: 9 Oct 2017, 07:23 pm »
I have finally get these babies set up right now. The sub barely goes up high enough but it works. I changed the caps in the XO to Jantzen Silvers. Wow these speakers are really singing. i would classify the sound as relaxed and musical. Not super duper detail (as in overdone), but enough detail where its needed. I  listed to another pair of speakers recently that had uber amounts of detail and it was fatiguing.

Danny Richie

« Reply #89 on: 9 Oct 2017, 07:31 pm »
I have finally get these babies set up right now. The sub barely goes up high enough but it works. I changed the caps in the XO to Jantzen Silvers. Wow these speakers are really singing. i would classify the sound as relaxed and musical. Not super duper detail (as in overdone), but enough detail where its needed. I  listed to another pair of speakers recently that had uber amounts of detail and it was fatiguing.

That sounds great.

I hate fatiguing speakers myself. I love good detail levels though. Just not in a way that makes them bright or elevates the top end.

Danny Richie

« Reply #90 on: 9 Oct 2017, 07:39 pm »
I was afraid that little woofer you picked wasn't going to like the open baffle. I knew it would be a stretch even with the asymmetrical side wings to get it to play down low enough while a filter kept it from playing too low and getting beat up.

I'm glad it worked out, and glad I was able to help.

Next I need to talk you into getting all of those connectors off of the crossover and upgrade some of those parts that are holding it back. Some tube connectors would be a nice upgrade too. 

jimbones

« Reply #91 on: 9 Oct 2017, 07:42 pm »
The coils are all foil and the caps are silver! You mean better than that!! :o :o

Danny Richie

« Reply #92 on: 9 Oct 2017, 08:01 pm »
The coils are all foil and the caps are silver! You mean better than that!! :o :o

It looked like Jansen (recycled Copper) inductors. Maybe I am mistaken. Looks like Electrolytic caps as a high pass filter. And lots of plastic and possibly steal connectors in the path. I think those typical have hold down screws that are ferromagnetic.

It looks like Cardas Copper binding posts. I like those too. I even stock them, but they are a level down from the tube connectors.

Maybe that is not the final crossover?

jimbones

« Reply #93 on: 10 Oct 2017, 11:10 am »
Ok yea thats an older pic. I will post newer pics. I understand the terminal strip, that was done to facilitate changes to the XO.

Danny Richie

« Reply #94 on: 10 Oct 2017, 02:22 pm »
Ok yea thats an older pic. I will post newer pics. I understand the terminal strip, that was done to facilitate changes to the XO.

Gotcha. When I am designing a crossover and taking measured responses I use a pile of wires that I have with alligator clips on the ends so that parts can be dropped in and out of the circuit quickly and easily. 

jimbones

« Reply #95 on: 10 Oct 2017, 04:00 pm »
I hear ya. I'm clumsy. I would short out 2 clips (unintended) and blow my amp up so I try to be as neat as possible. In the past I have blown up hi power amps. I remember blowing a 30 amp circuit breaker when I shorted the outputs on my Acoustat TNT 200. It actually welded the banana plugs together.

Danny Richie

« Reply #96 on: 10 Oct 2017, 04:04 pm »
I hear ya. I'm clumsy. I would short out 2 clips (unintended) and blow my amp up so I try to be as neat as possible. In the past I have blown up hi power amps. I remember blowing a 30 amp circuit breaker when I shorted the outputs on my Acoustat TNT 200. It actually welded the banana plugs together.

My test amp shuts off if shorted. If not I would have fried half a dozen of them over the last 20 years.

jimbones

« Reply #97 on: 12 Oct 2017, 05:59 pm »

Hopefully this looks better.

Danny Richie

« Reply #98 on: 12 Oct 2017, 07:37 pm »
Okay, I am still puzzled by that. You have some good parts in there, but the signal is still passing through connectors that are likely held down with steel screws. I see one good quality Mills resistor, one inexpensive but decent Lynk resistor and one really bad sand cast resistor. All of which are in the signal path (including the ones in shunt). Wire looks mixed too and might even be Silver coated Copper. You have nullified some of the good quality parts with some bad, plus connectors.

jimbones

« Reply #99 on: 12 Oct 2017, 08:06 pm »
OK so the green are Mundorf resistors. No good? Also I was told that shunt resistors are not critical. I have them in Mills and can change.  There are some silver coated copper as well as some good copper (I forget if it was OHNO but something reasonably good like that.

I agree with the connectors as I have said it allows me to quickly remove/install to make changes to the XO. I could just eliminate them and solder directly.