My New Vinyl Adventure--Building a Turntable

Peter J

• Hmmmm
Re: My New Vinyl Adventure--Building a Turntable
« Reply #60 on: 13 Sep 2016, 07:05 am »
Thanks Guy and Folsom.  Was wondering if everyone nodded off. :lol:  Also just a tad offended that no one complimented me on the rather fancy wainscoting and floral wallpaper in my shop.  :wink: Yes, there is a story there.

Wallpaper's nice but I like the turntable a lot better. I assumed shop was once a house...no? Do tell.

Guy 13

« Reply #61 on: 13 Sep 2016, 07:25 am »
Thanks Guy and Folsom.  Was wondering if everyone nodded off. :lol:  Also just a tad offended that no one complimented me on the rather fancy wainscoting and floral wallpaper in my shop.  :wink: Yes, there is a story there.

Hi ACHiPO,
if I did not say anything about your (Nice) wall paper,
it's because I was concentrated - blinded by the beauty of your TT woodwork,
that's why, but if it makes you happy, yes, your wall paper is awesome.  :lol: :thumb:

Guy 13
on planet Vietnam.

Maybe putting wallpaper on your TT base would make it
even more beautiful than stained wood.  :lol:

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #62 on: 13 Sep 2016, 09:37 am »
« Last Edit: 6 Nov 2016, 04:07 am by Bob2 »

ACHiPo

« Reply #63 on: 14 Sep 2016, 12:51 pm »
Wallpaper's nice but I like the turntable a lot better. I assumed shop was once a house...no? Do tell.
The detached garage that I use for my shop had been converted to a guest house back in the 40s.  The previous sellers had to do some repairs on it that required pulling a permit, but there was no record of the guest house conversion ever being permitted, so they needed to revert it back to its prior purpose before they could get a permit for the repairs. 

At some point I'll remodel it into a true man-cave, but until then it's got 3 220V outlets, lots of 110V outlets, plenty of daylight and ventilation, no one complaining about saw dust or cluttered surfaces, wainscoting, and flowered wallpaper!

ACHiPo

« Reply #64 on: 14 Sep 2016, 12:54 pm »
^ yeah what he said about that wall paper... Except about putting that on the tt.  :green:

I used the antique oil on a couple of projects and like it very much. Cloudy lacquer/blushing, sounds like it was humid when sprayed.
Bob,
It's pretty dry here in N. California, so I don't think it was humidity.  Plus it wasn't blushing, but almost like a couple huge fish eyes (1/2" dia).  I don't use any silicone products, so it's not that, and I was able to recoat and rub them out, but all in all the WB poly seems easier to use.  At some point I'll get motivated to rebuild my HVLP gun, build a booth, and learn how to apply good sprayed finishes.

AC

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #65 on: 14 Sep 2016, 01:03 pm »

« Last Edit: 6 Nov 2016, 04:07 am by Bob2 »

GentleBender

« Reply #66 on: 15 Sep 2016, 09:26 am »
I couldn't get that vinyl tile out of my mind enough to see the wallpaper. Someone had quite the taste. Bet they would have wrapped your TT with that vinyl tile and put the wallpaper on the sides for contrast.  :duh: Looking good ACHiPo!

ACHiPo

« Reply #67 on: 15 Sep 2016, 10:50 am »
I couldn't get that vinyl tile out of my mind enough to see the wallpaper. Someone had quite the taste. Bet they would have wrapped your TT with that vinyl tile and put the wallpaper on the sides for contrast.  :duh: Looking good ACHiPo!
Thanks GB.  I'll definitely consult you on the redecorating! :lol:

ACHiPo

« Reply #68 on: 24 Sep 2016, 06:56 pm »
After a week and a half road trip, finally got back to the project this morning.  At this stage things are moving slowly, but definitely in the right direction.

Two coats of shellac, dry-sanded with 320 leaving the dust on the surface, then padded on two more coats to fill the pores...

I figure 4 more coats of rubbed shellac, with a "coat" defined as padding on as many passes as I can until the pad starts dragging (usually about 6-8 passes) will fill in the pores well enough to give the water-based poly a good substrate for a decent gloss finish.  I may stop with the shellac if I like the finish after a few more coats.

Got the pan painted as well.  I used appliance enamel which hopefully will be thick and hard enough to rub out to a good finish as well.  I'm not terribly impressed with how it looks after 3 coats.  I've got a buddy that owns a body shop, so if I can't get the finish I want with a rattle can I'll have him prep and shoot it.

I do like the black and etimoe color combo, though!

Folsom

« Reply #69 on: 24 Sep 2016, 07:48 pm »
Don't stop! more!

ACHiPo

« Reply #70 on: 25 Sep 2016, 02:37 am »
Did one more sanding and coat this evening.  I think that will be the last sanding of shellac, as I've now gotten to the point where I don't seem to be filling in the grain/pores any more, and it seems like I'm removing shellac on the high spots all the way down to the veneer.  I'll give it a few more coats tomorrow, then let the finish outgas/cure for a few days before starting the water-based poly.

I did get the bearing cleaned and the spindle polished.  I'll rebuild the motor tomorrow between coats.

The pan paint turned out better than I thought.  I think a quick wet sanding with 600 and 1000 grit followed with a buffing should give it an acceptable finish.  Gonna give the paint a full week to cure before trying to rub it out (maybe longer--will do some research on how long the paint takes to fully cure).

ACHiPo

« Reply #71 on: 27 Sep 2016, 03:38 am »
Lookey what showed up in the mail today--Aluminati's 1250g stainless record weight.  Not quite like running a second platter, but should help inertia a bit and actually usable with the TransFi tonearm.

I'm thinking a bit of Herbies Grunge material on the rim will be a nice addition, not to mention provide a bit of padding if I drop the mother!

Folsom

« Reply #72 on: 27 Sep 2016, 03:49 am »
I've started reading about this stuff...

How much power does the motor take? I believe I have an easy way to adapt a 50hz to 60hz.

ACHiPo

« Reply #73 on: 27 Sep 2016, 12:16 pm »
I've started reading about this stuff...

How much power does the motor take? I believe I have an easy way to adapt a 50hz to 60hz.
Not much, but I'm not sure how much (it uses a 1A fuse at 110V).  There's an article on a speed controller here:
http://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/index.php?topic=3440.0

You can also do a mechanical mod to adjust a 50 Hz unit to run on 60 Hz.

There are other PCBs/kits on Lenco Heaven as well.  I decided to skip the hassle and found a 60 Hz 110V model.

Folsom

« Reply #74 on: 28 Sep 2016, 09:48 pm »
I'll check it out, thanks.

ACHiPo

« Reply #75 on: 3 Oct 2016, 01:00 am »
Definitely gaining on it!  Gave up on padding the finish as the pores were taking forever to fill.  Ordered this stuff:

And had at it.  It only took two coats to fill in the pores, then 6 more coats of brushed-on shellac leaves me here:

Still need to rub out the finish.  I've got a couple areas where the veneer is a few thousandths above the surrounding area.  If I can't build up the shellac adequately to level the surface I may need to give up on a gloss finish and settle for a satin finish.

Halcro

« Reply #76 on: 3 Oct 2016, 01:08 am »
Nice work Evan..... :drool:

Folsom

« Reply #77 on: 3 Oct 2016, 01:15 am »
Careful, sometimes it's better to just leave it alone...

ACHiPo

« Reply #78 on: 3 Oct 2016, 03:27 am »
Careful, sometimes it's better to just leave it alone...
Now where's the adventure in that? :wink:

Halcro

« Reply #79 on: 3 Oct 2016, 03:37 am »
Is that TransFi going to swing around a bit?