Surround speaker to match X-Voce?

SoCalWJS

Surround speaker to match X-Voce?
« on: 18 Nov 2017, 07:54 pm »
Has anybody ever played around with a "Dipole" surround speaker based on the  T26SG tweeter with M-165/16 mid/woofers?

Sort of similar in profile to these surrounds:  http://www.fluance.com/reference-series-5-0-home-theater-system-with-bipolar-speakers?gclid=Cj0KCQiA0b_QBRCeARIsAFntQ9pVFQ1X2eQNrqcAJovx6RlnuAIeIfN-0DQMM0kzWt-olAWvlnhHZlQaAn-aEALw_wcB

I feel like my Thiel Powerpoints just aren't a real good match for my X-Voce CC and keep playing around with different ideas. With my current setup, there is space on walls almost directly to the side of my main listening position, so the diffuse/surround sound of something like the above appeals to me.

I pulled the driver #'s off of the GR Research X-Voce page and I looked at the specs, but don't know enough about this stuff to know if I were to build a speaker with 2 of each of those drivers in a similar configuration as the linked speaker, how big would the box have to be, and what the design would be for the port(s)?

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: Surround speaker to match X-Voce?
« Reply #1 on: 18 Nov 2017, 09:57 pm »
Sounds like you are looking at something like the X-Statics. 

drewm

« Reply #2 on: 18 Nov 2017, 09:59 pm »
The X-voce is almost exactly a sideways center channel x-statik.

Link for reference
http://gr-research.com/x-serieskits.aspx

And don't forget the x-omni:
http://www.highfidelityreview.com/av123-x-omni.html

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 18 Nov 2017, 11:02 pm »
The X-Omni was dsigned to be the surround speakers for an X-Static / X-Voce front end.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #4 on: 18 Nov 2017, 11:14 pm »
I appreciate the responses.

I hinted at it, but didn't say it - I'm looking for something that can be mounted on a wall. Probably near the ceiling.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #5 on: 18 Nov 2017, 11:23 pm »
Well, that definitely narrows the list.  Looks like the A/V-1RS is your match.  Tweeters aren't the same, but the overall sound is a match.  I think it uses the M-130, which is a bit smoother than the M-165. 
http://gr-research.com/av-1rs.aspx

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 18 Nov 2017, 11:26 pm »
They are not dipoles but the A/V-1RS is a very good surround speaker. (Scott beat me to it)

Mike

Danny Richie

« Reply #7 on: 19 Nov 2017, 08:14 pm »
There are several problems with the dipole surround configured like that and mounted on the side walls.

For one they tend to get the same signal as the rear speakers. It is a part of the signal that is meant to be behind the listener. The configuration of a woofer and tweeter facing the front and rear is that it puts the listener in a null and sends part of the signal to the rear and part of the signal to the front of the room. This is the opposite of what is meant in the signal mix. It is meant to be in the rear only.

And while the side wall dipole does sound large and defuse there is no where in the room that you can take a measurement and get anything that resembles the input signal. They typically don't even account for the side wall reflection in the crossover design.

The omni design A/V-1RS that Mike posted a picture of is a MUCH better solution. It sounds big, adds space and longer time arrivals, but is accurate to the input signal.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #8 on: 19 Nov 2017, 11:16 pm »
Thanks for the response Danny.

I know that there are issues with the Dipole design, but I remembered something about the original Dolby Specs calling for this type of speaker for the "surround" channel. In my current setup, there is ZERO chance for anything beyond 5.x for the sound, so I figured I'd check out some options for my future solution. Since I'm pretty well committed to the X-Voce as CC, that's my starting point. I go back and forth as to the Super V's or the LS6 as FL/FR speakers.

Sure wish I had a different room, but it is what it is.

Decisions, decisions.............

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #9 on: 20 Nov 2017, 05:13 pm »
Thanks for the response Danny.

I know that there are issues with the Dipole design, but I remembered something about the original Dolby Specs calling for this type of speaker for the "surround" channel. In my current setup, there is ZERO chance for anything beyond 5.x for the sound, so I figured I'd check out some options for my future solution. Since I'm pretty well committed to the X-Voce as CC, that's my starting point. I go back and forth as to the Super V's or the LS6 as FL/FR speakers.

Sure wish I had a different room, but it is what it is.

Decisions, decisions.............

If you're committed to the X-Voce then it would make the most sense to get a pair of X-Statiks for front L/R.  The kit is ridiculously cheap and a pair could be built for under $1K.  But don't let these prices fool you.  They are seriously great speakers for the money.  A single servo sub can fill in the bottom nicely and with Danny's surround speaker you would have a great home theater system.

I have the X-Statiks, X-Voce and X-Omni with a sealed servo sub and at near reference levels it sounds awesome!  Just this weekend I was watching the new Punisher show on Netflix and there was a scene with a bonb going off suddenly and it made me jump!   Once in a while I think about getting some sexy new speakers but this system continues to do its job so well that the feeling passes.