DO I need room treatment?

undertow

Re: DO I need room treatment?
« Reply #20 on: 10 Sep 2014, 03:39 pm »
Correct they do make Diffusors, and some type of absorbing panels for replacement of those office tiles, but they don't necessarily come all that cheap.

If you can't get rid of the thin almost indoor/outdoor carpet over the concrete you can also try to get a large area rug that is thicker to place between, and in front of the speakers to help... It won't hurt, but might not help a lot, and still can get pretty pricey.
« Last Edit: 15 Sep 2014, 04:31 pm by undertow »

Hipper

« Reply #21 on: 13 Sep 2014, 11:49 am »
I agree with those that recommend bass traps. They make a remarkable difference. The result is you hear the bass of the music and not the room.

I also strongly agree that measuring your room is the key if you really want to get it right - right being not only room treatment but positioning. This can be done with music and ear, test tones and ear or SPL meter, or most accurately of all, software like REW (as Glen mentioned) and microphone. There's a lot of learning involved, and time and frustration but the reward of much better music is worth it.

This doesn't concern bass but I too would recommend moving the gear to a side wall. I did this and it did three things for me - stopped reflections off the gear; allowed the possibility of putting absorbers or diffusors on the front wall; and more subtly, allows your imagination to consider the band/orchestra etc. to be there, or at least not 'not' be there. I would also think that that wooden coffee table will be reflecting some higher frequencies and muddying the sound. You could test that.

brooklyn

« Reply #22 on: 13 Sep 2014, 03:31 pm »
Hipper Wrote:

This doesn't concern bass but I too would recommend moving the gear to a side wall. I did this and it did three things for me - stopped reflections off the gear; allowed the possibility of putting absorbers or diffusors on the front wall; and more subtly, allowsyour imagination to consider the band/orchestra etc. to be there, or at least not 'not' be there. I would also think that that wooden coffee table will be reflecting some higher frequencies and muddying the sound. You could test that.

Hey Hipper, I also have my gear on the side wall as recommended in a book called, Get Better Sound by Jim Smith. I found the side wall to sound the best in my room, the only negative side is you need longer speaker cables or long interconnects, which ever you prefer. I need fourteen foot pair of speaker cables so anything exotic is out of the question.
« Last Edit: 13 Sep 2014, 06:04 pm by brooklyn »

werd

« Reply #23 on: 13 Sep 2014, 03:50 pm »
Moving the gear to the side isn't a bad idea but its not that easy to do. You have to use mono amps. Also it may require configuring the electrical supply to your gear. Just keeping the gear racked closer to the ground is far simpler.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #24 on: 15 Sep 2014, 12:44 pm »
To answer the question (topic).  YES!  You can't imagine how bad you (or anyone else who doesnt' have them) need them. 

Early B.

« Reply #25 on: 15 Sep 2014, 03:02 pm »
My friend has a concrete floor and drop ceiling. A couple of years ago, he replaced his speakers with floor standers that dig into the high 20's. That's when the bloated bass problems started. Eventually, he treated the room, and that helped a little, but the bass on some tracks is still bloated. Nonetheless, he loves his system.

Of course, treating the room will improve the sound, but you introduced a new pair of speakers that created a problem you didn't notice before. The speakers aren't the problem, it's just the circumstances. There will always be trade-offs in what you want. If the mids and imaging of the Nimbus sound better than your previous speakers as you indicated in another thread, then you're doing pretty good. 

I recently bought a new DAC. Overall, it was a significant upgrade, but the previous DAC produced better bass. I can live with that.

My suggestion would be to invest in a few GIK bass traps and enjoy your music.

Carl V

« Reply #26 on: 15 Sep 2014, 04:07 pm »
http://www.cara.de/ENU/index.html
Can assist in determining/estimating room sound.

You have had some nice speakers & now
your perceptions are less than you had hoped with
the new speakers.  Without measurements it's
going to be difficult to assist. Even a SPL meter
& a test disc might be of some help. Personal preferences
are always going to be unique.

good luck.