Design Help

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
Design Help
« on: 4 Jun 2014, 07:13 pm »
I had a situation today that prompts me to post this thread. From time to time I receive calls or emails asking for help with a speaker design. In some cases the caller already has purchased parts from other sources. In this case it was some drivers from a very high-end company and since they were custom I had no experience with them. I declined to help mainly because I would be only speculating and that really wouldn't be of much help to the builder. I think he got a little upset and hung up (or the cell tower dropped the call). Either way he never called back.

My time is limited and I simply cannot offer free advice anymore. The first priority are my customers and it's not fair to them to spend time helping someone who has no intention of placing an order. I've used the analogy of calling your doctor for advise on a treatment and not expecting to compensate him for his expertise. My fees are very reasonable but if you want free help then one of the speaker forums is your best option.

PMAT

Re: Design Help
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jun 2014, 10:28 pm »
Nothing wrong with that. Don't feel bad either after all the expectation was unrealistic. Hopefully there was no rudeness.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
« Reply #2 on: 4 Jun 2014, 11:16 pm »
Rick,

Your post really hit home.  When a fellow audio enthusiast asks for help, it's hard to say no. People who run manufacturing operations tend to be booked solid and also tend to be generous to a fault with their "free time". I must say you make a beautiful product. Speaker design on that level is quite a feat. Thanks for being open about this subject.

-Tommy O

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #3 on: 4 Jun 2014, 11:34 pm »
Nothing wrong with that. Don't feel bad either after all the expectation was unrealistic. Hopefully there was no rudeness.

Nothing really rude - I think he just couldn't understand why I wouldn't share anything and I never had the chance to fully explain.

wilsynet

« Reply #4 on: 4 Jun 2014, 11:55 pm »
Were you willing to help him if he met your hourly rate, and if so did you communicate your contract rate?

This is your living.  It only makes sense to me to be paid for it.