Esatto MK2

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
Esatto MK2
« on: 22 Aug 2013, 07:02 pm »
A few years back I designed the sealed box Esatto which really led up to the current Tempesta 3-way monitor. Here's a new version of the Esatto with a new 7" Accuton woofer that's rear ported. Enjoy!

AluminatiSound

• Industry Participant
  • Machining and Audio What A Great Match!
Re: Esatto MK2
« Reply #1 on: 22 Aug 2013, 09:19 pm »
Looks great Rick!!

Matt

pawsman

« Reply #2 on: 22 Aug 2013, 10:06 pm »
That's an amazing finish; what is it? How does the 7" accuton compare to the Illuminator?

pawsman

AKLegal

« Reply #3 on: 22 Aug 2013, 10:10 pm »
How much would this cost in a kit?

jonbee

« Reply #4 on: 22 Aug 2013, 10:16 pm »
Wow. Someone has a real treat in those. I KNOW they sound as great as they look. Makes me want to break out the checkbook again.

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 22 Aug 2013, 11:27 pm »
Makes me want to break out the checkbook again.

+1  those look great!

vanderstephen

« Reply #6 on: 23 Aug 2013, 12:30 am »
I love it. Those look great. That's pretty much my dream monitor.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #7 on: 23 Aug 2013, 02:56 pm »
That's an amazing finish; what is it? How does the 7" accuton compare to the Illuminator?

pawsman

It's a walnut burl. The owner also has a pair of the Tempestas so maybe at some point he can compare the Accuton and Scan-Speak woofers.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #8 on: 23 Aug 2013, 06:34 pm »
How much would this cost in a kit?

Feel free to email me and I can give you a quote.

maxboy00

« Reply #9 on: 23 Aug 2013, 10:31 pm »
I love it. Those look great. That's pretty much my dream monitor.

That's my thought as well!, When I approached Rick about doing this kind of monitor, I wanted it to be as good as the Tempesta , but I wasn't sure how they would differ. I have only had a brief time with them so this first impress on their sound is just that, so I am sure that this first thought will change as work permits more time to ENJOY them. Rick advised me that they would not be as dynamic as the Scan Speak driver . . so far I agree, but the clarity and easy at which they  project sound into the room is nothing short of WOW. Also the bass , to me, is as good as the Tempesta's  again this is at first glance but in my room the bass is full and weighted. I will post a more detailed review latter on, but for now Rick served up an outstanding monitor speaker that  hits all the right  buttons.

danny01

« Reply #10 on: 25 Aug 2013, 08:12 am »
I have got to stop coming on AC. I have had my Prestgios for less than six months, but I already have upgraditis.

How would these compare to the Ottavo in a system with a sub handling the stuff below 80-90 hz?

Thanks for the impressions maxboy00. I'll be looking forward to your review!

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #11 on: 25 Aug 2013, 08:56 pm »
I have got to stop coming on AC. I have had my Prestgios for less than six months, but I already have upgraditis.

How would these compare to the Ottavo in a system with a sub handling the stuff below 80-90 hz?

Thanks for the impressions maxboy00. I'll be looking forward to your review!

It depends on the quality of the subwoofer and if there is a high pass filter on the Esatto. With a pair of good 12" powered subs and an active highpass filter it would be pretty close between the two.

maxboy00

« Reply #12 on: 12 Sep 2013, 10:44 pm »
Sorry for the delay on posting how well these speakers sound, I will post some thoughts in a week or so. . .

maxboy00

« Reply #13 on: 16 Sep 2013, 10:49 pm »
Listening impressions of the Esatto MK2, overall an excellent speaker design from Rick.

Setup:
A dedicated 2 channel system, no sub in a 12’ X 11’ room

Gear:    Amp       Modwright KWI-200
               Source      Esoteric K07 CDP
   Cables      Morrow SP3 and Signal Cable

The Esatto sound is very clear, detailed sounding with tight bass control, it has wide and deep sound stage with great imaging.  It performs well across a wide genres of music from metal to classical, it is especially good with female vocals and instrumentals, in that notes float, linger and have slow decay. With respect to female vocal, Nora Jones, Joan Osborne and others all sound front and center and very lively in time and space.

The Esattos’s are quite resolving, this detail is particularly noticeable on lower quality recorded CDs, I would say more apparent than the Tempesta’s.

Finally the bass of the Esatto is also very good, it has good weight and depth, on tracks with good bass lines the bass is focused but not as dynamic as the Tempesta’s, and this is the main difference between these two speakers.  I was seeking a monitor speaker that was on the same level of the Tempesta’s (mine are the tower version) but wanted them to be different enough, what’s the point of having speakers that sound identical.

In conclusion, anyone seeking a high quality, well designed speaker that performs well beyond their price point you simply can’t go wrong with a speaker from Rick and Selah Audio.  Anyone in NE Ohio interested to hear them, let me know.

cstory

• Seaching for clues
« Reply #14 on: 18 Sep 2013, 05:13 pm »
Those speakers look very nice. It's interesting to see how you feel the Accuton woofer differs from the Scan Speak.

I may have to take you up on your offer for people to take a listen. I too am in NE Ohio, and I would be interested in bringing my Grandeur's over for a little comparative listening if we could work it out. You certainly have higher quality source equipment than what I am using with mine, but I am curious how big of a difference there is between the Revelator woofer and the Accutons.

Great pair of speakers.  :green:

Chuck

Uzeb

« Reply #15 on: 28 Sep 2013, 04:29 pm »
Can these be built as a sealed version. I would plan to mate them with a pair of sealed subs. And the important question, how much would a kit be with assembled crossovers.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #16 on: 30 Sep 2013, 12:55 pm »
Can these be built as a sealed version. I would plan to mate them with a pair of sealed subs. And the important question, how much would a kit be with assembled crossovers.

The sealed box volume would be much smaller and can be done if you have a crossover point of 80-100hz to your subwoofer. A kit (minus cabinets) would be about $2,500.

maxboy00

« Reply #17 on: 27 Dec 2013, 04:34 pm »
Since my last post on the Esatto MK2, I have made some room changes and added some acoustic room panels from GIK and thought an update was warranted.

I addition, my original mini review was flawed, for when I received theses speakers I just plopped them down inside of where Tempesta’s sit, this created a rather narrow spacing between the speakers and did affect the overall sound. So from recommendation from GIK, I removed the Tempesta's from the room and added four 244 bass traps, placed into each corner, and setup the Esatto’s properly; all was for the better.

For me the sound of the Esatto’s improved greatly especially in bass extension and imaging. In my original post the bass sounded tight and controlled and lacked the thump of the Tempesta’s this is no longer the case with the bass and imaging improving on both counts, tracks with consistent bass lines like Joan Osborne’s “What You Are” are very well recreated with depth and weight, with the outro lines being very vivid and detailed. This was also the case on many other tracks from various CDs. If you are into metal the Esatto does a good job, but I would give that edge to the Tempesta's, aside from metal the Esatto’s  perform exceptionally  well and are a delight to listen too.

jxo

« Reply #18 on: 30 Jan 2014, 02:27 am »
Sorry for being slow on the reply.  I own the original Esatto.  Sealed with a sealed subwoofer.   After a few years, these speakers continue to impress.  Soundstage and imaging open up even at low listening levels.  Love 'em.