Tekton Speakers Amazing sound for a Budget Speaker

Drwellbe

I was looking for a budget bookshelf speaker to put in my media room something for some casual listening didn't want to spend over $1500, so I did my searching and found this company Tekton out of Utah, very pleasant company to work with.  Got on there web site saw what they had, read the great reviews and placed an order.  8 days later speakers were at my door.  For some reason audiophiles think that a good product has to have 24 boxes when it is shipped well my Tekton speakers didn't have 24 boxes but it was packed perfectly.  Setting up the speakers I noticed that they sounded best when given some breathing room I had them 4ft from the rear and 3 ft from the side wall and they require a toe out that in its self is different. Once I got them hooked up to my Modwright pre-amp, amp combo these things soared.  They have the kind of focus that you only find in a Kharma or a Quad, box coloration vanishes this speakers are so smooth without adding its own flavor to the sound. The way the front firing port is tuned you dont miss a subwoofer.  Mid range resolution goes far beyond what a bookshelf can do, so I thought.  They have a rich sound like an older Tannoy or Harbeth.  You see the speakers but sound doesn't seem to be coming out of them it is being created right in front of your face.  Image and focus are first rate.  I set the speakers up next to my Revel F12 and when we finished with the fireworks (July4) I had a few friends listen, and they all thought that they were hearing the F12’s play. This is the first time in 30 years that me upgrading my system requires me to spend less.

Mariusz

Re: Tekton Speakers Amazing sound for a Budget Speaker
« Reply #1 on: 8 Jul 2010, 09:06 pm »
Never heard those but they certainly are good value.
Which model did you get???

Wind Chaser

« Reply #2 on: 8 Jul 2010, 09:40 pm »
Setting up the speakers I noticed that they sounded best when given some breathing room I had them 4ft from the rear and 3 ft from the side...

Pretty much every speaker will benefit by breathing room, the more the better.  That's why having a nice large room is as much of a component in the equation of good sound as anything else.

Tell us a little more about your new speakers. :thumb:

Drwellbe

« Reply #3 on: 8 Jul 2010, 09:44 pm »
I told him what i was looking for and he made them for me.  They are Michael,

Specs are: 7" 2-way design, 88dB 1W@1m, frequency response is 37Hz-22kHz (better than +/-2dB flat), 8 Ohms average impedance, cabinet dimensions are 19.625" tall x 9.5" wide x 12.625" deep. Weight is 25lbs each  They love power so I hooked them up to 3 different amps and i likedd the sound out of the FirstWatt best.  I wrote a review in the review section Go check it out and also look the speakers up.  I have owned about 15 high end pairs and these blow me a way. 

Drwellbe

« Reply #4 on: 8 Jul 2010, 09:46 pm »
They are in my main room and I dont want to take them out. 

knut_the_viking

« Reply #5 on: 8 Jul 2010, 09:48 pm »
My model 4.5 (Fostex 127e) needed LONG break-in.
Hundreds of hours.
But, they finally settled down into an intimate, pleasant sound.
I use a small tube amp (Tec-on model 55 with 2x4.5W)

Wind Chaser

« Reply #6 on: 8 Jul 2010, 10:03 pm »
I told him what i was looking for and he made them for me.  They are Michael,

I have owned about 15 high end pairs and these blow me a way.

Interesting, can you post a picture?  What are some of the other speakers you are referring to?

Drwellbe

« Reply #7 on: 8 Jul 2010, 10:09 pm »
Sorry guys on my iPhone I will get some pics to u as soon as I can
I have had B&W 802 805 803. Wilson Watt puppy revel Gem Salon F12 Quad emerald physics moniter audio totem magnapens. Just to nname a few

silver_strings

« Reply #8 on: 8 Jul 2010, 10:17 pm »
Yep I've owned the tektons 6.5 and right now I own the ob4.5's they are the best sounding speakers I've owned, they have a clarity that regular speakers cant match, I'm pretty much done with regular speakers.

Drwellbe

« Reply #9 on: 9 Jul 2010, 12:37 am »
Yep I agree we get caught up in what joe public is buying and reviewing.  There is a wide range of great sounding gear out there and with the Web every thing can be just a click away. 

Vulcan00

• SEM Micrograph of Dendritic Structure
« Reply #10 on: 9 Jul 2010, 04:45 pm »
Have any of you heard the subwoofer? thats an interesting design.
Harrison

I would really like to hear  that sub
« Last Edit: 10 Jul 2010, 12:19 am by Vulcan00 »

Drwellbe

« Reply #11 on: 9 Jul 2010, 06:56 pm »
no that is going to be my next purchase.  He is also creating a few different style of speakers that is suppose to be way out there. 

sneezingdog

« Reply #12 on: 9 Aug 2010, 08:19 pm »
Yep I've owned the tektons 6.5 and right now I own the ob4.5's they are the best sounding speakers I've owned, they have a clarity that regular speakers cant match, I'm pretty much done with regular speakers.

Silver_Strings, how did you like the 6.5s? Can you compare them to the the 4.5?

silver_strings

« Reply #13 on: 26 Sep 2010, 06:18 am »
The 6.5 were great they had good midrange, voices and acoustic guitars sounded thick and clear for example, they also had good bass for most music, highs lacked a little but you couldn't notice this on most songs. The ob4.5s have more detail, the soundstage is deeper and is much more wider, expansive, involving and realistic, highs and and mids are the best I've heard, violins sound like a violin a piano sound like a piano and xylophone sound like a xylophone they sound very true, realistic and full-bodied. The low bass is a little lacking but when you put them near a wall you can compensate nicely for this. The ob4.5 are better in every way except for the bass, the 6.5's have a little more extension there.
« Last Edit: 26 Sep 2010, 08:38 am by silver_strings »

Mass. Wine Guy

« Reply #14 on: 31 Dec 2010, 03:42 am »
Thanks for posting this. Can anyone say "Next big thing...?"