"Ambrosia": Warning!

Harvey

Re: "Ambrosia": Warning!
« Reply #20 on: 3 Jan 2007, 05:46 pm »
Ok, blue (or is that purple) and yellow may not work for everyone but Mr. Bongiorno is a colourful guy and he certainly doesn't follow anyone in audio, design wise.  Good for him.  He could be to audio what Don Cherry is to hockey!  On his site http://www.ampzilla2000.com/, some of the close-ups show the materials to be very high quality.  Check out the Ampzilla 2000 all in black.  I'd go for that. Bring on the Ambrosia in black.
Harvey B.

shep

« Reply #21 on: 3 Jan 2007, 06:24 pm »
I missed the suits. Now it all makes sense!

miklorsmith

« Reply #22 on: 3 Jan 2007, 07:05 pm »
I notice the Spread Spectrum Technologies website has two pages dedicated to VMPS.  Is there some relationship between these companies?

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #23 on: 3 Jan 2007, 07:12 pm »
James will offer a black faceplate for those not fond of dark blue.

Ah!  But can he do Krylon red?  That's the real question....

Yes, he does.  :lol: :lol:

Rocket

« Reply #24 on: 3 Jan 2007, 09:21 pm »
Hi Guys,

I have a Son of Ampzilla which sounds quite good in my system.  I've had a few different amps in my system over the last few years and i keep coming back to the SOA.  Unfortunately i will never be able to afford the asking price of the ambrosia but perhaps in a few years time (may'be 10) i'll be able to buy one secondhand.

Btw i have the blue version of the amplifier and it looks much better in real life and is a standout in my system  :P.

Regards

Rod

PLMONROE

« Reply #25 on: 4 Jan 2007, 03:50 am »
Nice rose colored suit and black hat. Personally I liked his lime green suit with matching shirt and fedora better. I can't remember, did that outfit also have mataching lime green shoes as well? :roll:

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
« Reply #26 on: 4 Jan 2007, 04:09 am »
miklorsmith:

You may recall posts several years back where I explained the genesis of my RM/X Elixir speaker system.  In brief, after winning the 2002 "Best of CES" award for high end audio with the RM 40, James and I went to dinner at his favorite Italian spot and, during the course of the evening, he made cocktail napkin sketches of the RM/X's distinctive cabinet shape, telling me: "Build it, and you will win again!!"

He left the rest to me, and was right: the VMPS booth, RM/X speakers and Ampzilla Trinaural Processor, supplied two of the three finalists in the 2003 competition and the award went to the processor, since the speaker had won the previous year (as per one of the judges, who ought to know).

After 2003 I received hints that VMPS would not win this award again, regardless of what we entered.  This proved to be the case.  In 2004 the RM 30 finished 8th in the High End Audio judging and I have not entered since.  Who remembers the runner-up?

So, VMPS and Ampzilla (Spread Spectrum Technologies) are unrelated, but James is understandably proud of his contribution to the RM/X and touts it on his site.  I have used the Son of Ampzilla as primary amplification in my system since 2004, and just received the "Ambrosia" which turned out to be a truly outstanding preamp, perhaps the best on the market, certainly competitive with any, even those with lofty price tags.

miklorsmith

« Reply #27 on: 4 Jan 2007, 05:37 am »
Cool, thanks for the clarification.  I don't think I was active here at that time.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
    • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
Ambrosia & ModWright 36.5 preamp
« Reply #28 on: 22 Jan 2007, 08:38 am »
Brian's THE Show sound was absolutely intoxicating. 

This is pure lunacy on my part to admit this, but it never stopped me before.  I am convinced I am able to make reasonably accurate conclusions (at least for my own purposes) about individual components when auditioning equipment, as long as I have previous experience w/ some of the ancillary components/equipment.  I'm not going to list the reasons, but suffice to say that my conclusions have repeatedly held up over time, even after getting to hear the stuff in my own system.

This was the most fun I've had at any CES.  I got to spend all of the four days auditioning some of the best systems I've heard, including Brians.

I agree w/ Brian's assesment of the Ambrosia's sound quality.  The other preamp that was very impressive was the new $4k ModWright model SWL 36.5 (his son's weight at the time the preamp was named).  I heard both the Ambrosia & both ModWrights preamps (the original 9.0) at length.  BTW, Dan indeed is one of the nicest people you'll ever meet.  I never met him & didn't look at his badge.  I noticed the sound needed help when first auditioning the 9.0 preamp.  I first thought it was the speakers, but later decided they couldn't be that bad.  I remembered the preamp inverts the signal.  I asked the vendor if he knew the preamp inverted polarity & suggested in a friendly tone (at least) he might want to invert the speaker leads.  He said, oh yes, & inverted the leads & we both agreed it now sounded pretty darn good, a big improvement.  Then I see it's Dan.  Relax, I apologized profusely for not knowing who I was talking to.  He's such a gentleman.   

Yes, I know, I should conclude nothing because the systems & room were different, but I don't buy that.

The MW is absolutely worth the extra price over the original $2500 preamp 9.0.  It's quieter, more dynamic, more accurate, more musical, better in every way. 

But I estimate the Ambrosia is unfortunately worth the extra money over the MW 36.5.  Just not having to think about tubes wearing out, leaving it on all the time.  Plus my estimate is that the Ambrosia is again just as much better than the 36.5 as the 36.5 is better than the 9.0.  My 2c. 

The Ambrosia has detail like its going out of style.  My buddy & I were in Brian's room Wednesday night after closing, around 9pm.  We heard a couple of my songs then listened to my friend's Dark Side of The Moon w/ the lights out & the glorious tubes lighting the dark.  Besides the detail, the musical quality & smoothness were abundant.  Dynamics, punch, it's all there.  Noise floor lower than anything I've heard except for MAYBE the proprietary Krell Evolution system described below.  An Ambrosia/Krell Evolution preamp shootout would be very interesting. 

There were other exceptionally good electronics such as Edge & of course Pass Labs.  I liked the Audio Analogue integrateds & the new Creek Destiny integrated very much. 

I personally think the latest Krell Evolution technology is probably the best currently available, but it requires a complete commitment of an entire system from source to amp & starts around $60k.  The technology appears original, I believe is already patented, & Krell won't be licensing it.  It inverts the source/load relationships (high source impedance/low load impedance).  Much original & proprietary technology is employed, but the magic is that many gain stages were eliminated.  Unfortunately for show visitors Krell was at the Mirage across the street from the Venetian, which probably prevented many people from hearing it.  But they sure got better sound than they would otherwise have gotten at the Convention Center!  Krell is coming out w/ a new stereo Evolution amp for only about $11k (whoopee, get two!)