Will these cars be showing up in your neighborhood...and would you buy one?

R_burke

My apology to mr. Burke, I did not see this post. To update, Elio has secured a factory and has some green lights. I do not know if they have enough $100 preorders to start production. Looks like a great commuter car to work, but I have my reservations about the safety. It seems about the same as a motorcycle, but you might be more visible to other motorists in an Elio than say... a two wheeled motorcycle. BTW in Ohio, it would be classified as a motorcycle and to own and drive one, you would have to get a motorcycle license/permit. I would think that would apply in other states in the USA as well.

They claim it is being built to a 5 star crash safety rating and it has a complete roll cage and airbags, so it is being designed to be safe, but that's only words at this time. 

In California (where I live) it is a motorcycle, but you don't have to wear a helmet, nor do you need a motorcycle permit to drive them.  The bonus for me is that you get o use the commuter or HOV lanes without having to pay for a special permit/sticker.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
How was the acceleration on this thing?  A 900cc motor makes for a fast motorcycle but this might be too much of a slug for actual highway driving.

Early B.

This vehicle is awesome and long overdue. In many countries, mopeds have been used extensively for decades, but I like this option much better, especially if it is possible to drive on ice and snow as well as a typical automobile. Saves money and very fuel efficient. It's cheaper than a decent motorcycle! Even though I don't care for the design, I'd buy one and let the wife drive the "real" car. Imagine a $400 monthly car payment being paid off in only 18 months.   

srb

How was the acceleration on this thing?  A 900cc motor makes for a fast motorcycle but this might be too much of a slug for actual highway driving.

Not fast to be sure, but Elio is quoting < 9.6 seconds 0-60 mph which is on par with the slower gasoline powered cars.

Steve

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Zero to 60 in a shade under 10, huh?
I can already picture blue haired old ladies in clapped out Chevettes giving me the finger as they motor past me.
It would probably be great for around town and little two lane roads as long as you keep your momentum up. 

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
I'm sure there will be turbo kits offered within 6 months of them hitting the street.  :icon_twisted:

RDavidson

I'm sure there will be turbo kits offered within 6 months of them hitting the street.  :icon_twisted:

Oh yeah. People will be tweaking these things immediately.  Some will do it to go faster. Some will do it to go slower (hyper milers).

mgalusha

I can say the prototype they took around the country was plenty roomy for the driver and I'm 6'2" and about 240lbs. I didn't get to drive it but the seating wasn't bad. Some control placement issues but it was very much a prototype, so I expect that will change when/if they go into production. I would likely buy one, most of my drive is country roads and speed/acceleration is not an issue for the most part.

werd

I'll wait till they offer the hovering option then move on one.

macrojack

• Restricted
This car has me fascinated,but unless you are single and don't plan on dating it would not be suitable as an only vehicle. I see it as primarily (or solely) a commuter vehicle as part of a family fleet. For someone who puts at least 50 miles per day on their commuter, the Elio might pay for itself before the warranty expires. I haven't actually done the math but thinking along those lines could make this car rather appealing to some of my younger brethren here.
A couple of other thoughts:
Your present commuter might sell used for more than the purchase price of a new Elio.
Likewise, other commuter cars might depreciate during the Elio's 3 year warranty period by as much or more than the Elio cost, making anything you can sell it for show up on your balance sheet as profit.
Right now it appears that the Elio deserves an open-minded evaluation. It may prove to be pie in the sky or some kind of scam, but it also might prove to be the Apple of automobiles. Best not to scoff at innovation. The car world is overdue for a shakeup. It's been a shakedown for too long now.

MaxCast

Oh yeah. People will be tweaking these things immediately.  Some will do it to go faster. Some will do it to go slower (hyper milers).
Wonder if we put some tubes in there it will ride a little smoother  :icon_lol:
NOt to mention some upgraded cables and wires.

cloudbaseracer

The ELIO is a not so clean looking version of the Aptera which failed even though it was probably a much better car.

http://www.gizmag.com/aptera-independent-production-us/27868/

RDavidson

The ELIO is a not so clean looking version of the Aptera which failed even though it was probably a much better car.

http://www.gizmag.com/aptera-independent-production-us/27868/

Actually, I kinda think the Aptera, though streamlined, is pretty weird looking. It looks like an airplane without wings, and not in a good way. The Elio, kinda resembles what it is underneath it's skin (basically a motorcycle) so maybe my "acceptance" of its look is rooted in knowing that. I think what'd be cool is sort of a hybrid look between the Elio and Aptera.

srb

Wow, the Aptera has a really wide front track, 80.5", compared to the 66.8" front track of the Elio (2015 Ford Taurus - 65.3", 2015 Toyota Camry - 62.4", 2015 Chevy Impala - 62.2", 2014 Chevy Camaro - 63.7").

Should make for great stability, but handling and parking might be another thing entirely.

Steve

RDavidson

Wow, the Aptera has a really wide front track, 80.5", compared to the 66.8" front track of the Elio (2015 Ford Taurus - 65.3", 2015 Toyota Camry - 62.4", 2015 Chevy Impala - 62.2", 2014 Chevy Camaro - 63.7").

Should make for great stability, but handling and parking might be another thing entirely.

Steve

Maybe they designed it for those who were still driving non-military H1 Hummers in 2011. :lol:

macrojack

• Restricted
I would expect parking to be aided by the narrow back end and the triangular stance. Getting used to that novelty well enough to take advantage of it might take a while though.
 My first thought when I read about the Elio concerned taking turns in the snow or on ice. Front wheel drive cars have a tendency to change direction rather abruptly if you brake in a curve. Wouldn't that tendency be exacerbated by the single wheel in the rear?

RDavidson

I would expect parking to be aided by the narrow back end and the triangular stance. Getting used to that novelty well enough to take advantage of it might take a while though.
 My first thought when I read about the Elio concerned taking turns in the snow or on ice. Front wheel drive cars have a tendency to change direction rather abruptly if you brake in a curve. Wouldn't that tendency be exacerbated by the single wheel in the rear?

Pretty sure it's rear wheel drive, is it not? They have videos of it driving in snow on the website.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=lQRktJtrgHs

macrojack

• Restricted
Fuel injected 3 cylinder inline gasoline engine with front wheel drive. I just watched a video of the car driving on a snowy road and it appears to do quite well. Another concern arose from watching however. The front wheels are very wide from the headlights making me wonder about the chances of getting your driver's side wheel clipped by an oncoming driver at night.

Because it is new and unusual, many questions arise.

Russell Dawkins

It's front wheel drive. 0-60 time is misleading in one respect - the top speed is over 100 mph thanks to small frontal area and low-ish drag coefficient.
Three wheels with the two in the front and front wheel drive with a forward weight bias and a low C of G all of which the Elio possesses is supposed to be the most effective configuration of all possible for handling. In the late 60s/early 70s"MiniMogs" as they were called were banned from both motorcycle sidecar and sports car racing because of this.

JohnR

The part I don't understand is why it's classified as a motorcycle?

I'd get one if they were available here for anything like that price. And not hopelessly unreliable. Just the thing to pop down to the shops. And save having to get a second car just for those times when we really do need two cars.