New Record Day RMAF 2014 "Best in Show" Tortuga Audio - Video

Vedder323

• vinyl reviews and more, check out Newrecordday.com
    • New Record Day
Hey folks,

I wanted to drop by and share my coverage of room 1022 from RMAF 2014. Tortuga really showed up for the party and certainly didn't let me down. If interested, the link straight to the coverage will be posted below the blurb...

"Room 1022 featured a passive front-end from Tortuga Audio called the LDRx. As LDR’s are becoming more and more popular, startup companies are jumping on the coat tails of guys like Morten Sissener. Meanwhile, he is busy leading the pack with his 3rd generation design, which addresses a number of past challenges that these light dependent resisitor networks have been plagued with. As described in this video, the LDRx auto calibrates every 10 minutes keeping your gear in check and the music flowing with unrivaled purity. Bring Pete Gryzbowski into the mix, with his Triode Wire Labs cable loom and his new digital power cord, and we now how have a front-end prepared to sweep up the teeth from dropped jaws as they leave room. As I sat down and listening to “St. James Infirmary” played by Louis Armstrong, I literally couldn’t stop giggling and quite frankly didn’t care what scene I was creating as music caused me to swoon in ways only my lovely wife has been able to previously achieve. While most novices with half a decent set of ears would have attributed all this magic to the Volti Alura’s, my experience would have to argue and declare that while Greg Roberts has made some incredible speakers that speak straight to my soul, he couldn’t have reached it with such precision without the help of his friends. Well done gentlemen, can you please mail my teeth back now?"

http://www.newrecordday.com/rmaf-2014/#tortuga

« Last Edit: 18 Oct 2014, 04:42 am by Vedder323 »

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
  • Handcrafted high performance audio
    • Tortuga Audio
Hey folks,

I wanted to drop by and share my coverage of room 1022 from RMAF 2014. Tortuga really showed up for the party and certainly didn't let me down. If interested, the link straight to the coverage will be posted below the blurb...

"Room 1022 featured a passive front-end from Tortuga Audio called the LDRx. As LDR’s are becoming more and more popular, startup companies are jumping on the coat tails of guys like Morten Sissener. Meanwhile, he is busy leading the pack with his 3rd generation design, which addresses a number of past challenges that these light dependent resisitor networks have been plagued with. As described in this video, the LDRx auto calibrates every 10 minutes keeping your gear in check and the music flowing with unrivaled purity. Bring Pete Gryzbowski into the mix, with his Triode Wire Labs cable loom and his new digital power cord, and we now how have a front-end prepared to sweep up the teeth from dropped jaws as they leave room. As I sat down and listening to “St. James Infirmary” played by Louis Armstrong, I literally couldn’t stop giggling and quite frankly didn’t care what scene I was creating as music caused me to swoon in ways only my lovely wife has been able to previously achieve. While most novices with half a decent set of ears would have attributed all this magic to the Volti Alura’s, my experience would have to argue and declare that while Greg Roberts has made some incredible speakers that speak straight to my soul, he couldn’t have reached it with such precision without the help of his friends. Well done gentlemen, can you please mail my teeth back now?"

http://www.newrecordday.com/rmaf-2014/#tortuga

Thank you Ron for your interview/review and high praise. Nice work on the show coverage and for supporting audio.

One point of clarification regarding auto-calibration. It takes approximately 10 minutes to run a complete auto-cal cycle but it doesn't run every 10 minutes. It's entirely up the user if/when to run auto-cal.

Cheers,
Morten

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Morten,

How often do you recommend to auto-cal?

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
  • Handcrafted high performance audio
    • Tortuga Audio
Morten,
How often do you recommend to auto-cal?

I personally only do it perhaps once a month or so. It's really there as a longer term convenience/correction feature should any of the LDRs drift sufficiently to noticeably affect channel balance. That said, there's no harm in doing it as often as you like.....or....as seldom as is warranted. Various features that may be added in the future....such as user adjustable input impedance....that would require running auto-cal to update after setting changes.

For example, for RMAF I ran auto-cal before shipping the unit to Denver but did NOT rerun it just before the show. It worked great!

Vedder323

• vinyl reviews and more, check out Newrecordday.com
    • New Record Day
Thank you Ron for your interview/review and high praise. Nice work on the show coverage and for supporting audio.

One point of clarification regarding auto-calibration. It takes approximately 10 minutes to run a complete auto-cal cycle but it doesn't run every 10 minutes. It's entirely up the user if/when to run auto-cal.

Cheers,
Morten

Thanks Morten, edited that sentence to read:

"As described in this video, the LDRx has built in auto calibration that takes approximately 10 minutes keeping your gear in check and the music flowing with unrivaled purity."

Thanks for the heads up and again, GREAT work on that room.