Balance control using only an LED indicator

DWJames

Balance control using only an LED indicator
« on: 9 Sep 2014, 05:12 pm »
Hi guys,
I'm about to order an LDR3x V2 board, but wanted a quick check about how the balance control works.
I've read the FAQ and note that a simple LED flashing will show me which mode the system's in, so I can adjust balance without needing a proper display.
Is there any way using this LED indicator setup I can tell for sure whether I've returned the balance to the exact middle again?
Or is there a simple way I can just do a balance reset?

thanks in advance,
James

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
  • Innovated passive & active preamp technology
    • Tortuga Audio
Re: Balance control using only an LED indicator
« Reply #1 on: 9 Sep 2014, 05:28 pm »
Hi guys,
I'm about to order an LDR3x V2 board, but wanted a quick check about how the balance control works.
I've read the FAQ and note that a simple LED flashing will show me which mode the system's in, so I can adjust balance without needing a proper display.
Is there any way using this LED indicator setup I can tell for sure whether I've returned the balance to the exact middle again?
Or is there a simple way I can just do a balance reset?

thanks in advance,
James

Hi James,

Yes, you can reset the balance to neutral using the Encoder and/or the Apple Remote. This is explained in our Product Documentation in the 2 links below. The Status LED itself doesn't provide any specific info on the setting or resetting of the balanced adjustment. Only that it's in Balance Adjust Mode.

Encoder:  http://www.tortugaaudio.com/documentation/#document-3
Apple Remote: http://www.tortugaaudio.com/documentation/#document-5

Good luck with your project!

Cheers,
Morten

DWJames

« Reply #2 on: 9 Sep 2014, 10:13 pm »
Thanks Morten,
To be clear, there is no way of visually telling that the balance is in the centre without also having the display module?

Is there a way of resetting the balance easily to the equal centre point? Does a balance  setting survive a reboot for example?

Also, how many stages/iterations of balance control are there from full left to full right?

Sorry for all the questions...  During the day I sit at a desk near one of my speakers, so I like to set the balance right over to the other one so I can hear both equally, but for regular listening I set the balance back to dead centre. Dead easy with a manual balance with a notch at the centre point, but not so with a virtual setup like this.
Thanks again,
James

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #3 on: 9 Sep 2014, 10:48 pm »
To be clear, there is no way of visually telling that the balance is in the centre without also having the display module?

Correct. There's no other visual way currently available.

Is there a way of resetting the balance easily to the equal centre point? Does a balance  setting survive a reboot for example?

Yes, as I indicated in my previous response to this question, your can reset balance to center (neutral) via either the Encoder or the Apple Remote.

The balance settings, whatever they may be, are saved into EEPROM memory within the microcontroller. They are preserved even when power is off. Rebooting doesn't change them. You have to deliberately adjust or reset them.

Also, how many stages/iterations of balance control are there from full left to full right?

Balance adjustments are limited to 9 steps to the right or left. Each step is approximately 0.9 dB, so ~ 8 dB max in either direction. That amount of adjustment is quite noticeable. The way the adjustment is applied is such that a +1 to the right actually reduces the left by -1. The downside to this approach is if let's say you adjusted +5 to the right and were adjusting volume up from 0 (muted). The right volume would be up to step 5 and the left volume would still be at 0. When the right hits 6, left would be at 1. Usually not a problem since listening down around -50-60 dB is rarely practical.

DWJames

« Reply #4 on: 10 Sep 2014, 09:36 am »
Brilliant, thanks for the answers.
Sounds just what I need. 1 order coming your way  :)

James

DWJames

« Reply #5 on: 10 Sep 2014, 10:26 am »
just to add, I see in the documentation for LDR preamps common info this line:

Balance Adjust Reset:  A push/hold of the Encoder for greater than 10 seconds but less than 20 seconds followed by release will reset the Balance Adjust to zero upon release.

Does this apply to the LDR3x V2 boards?

thanks again,
James

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #6 on: 10 Sep 2014, 12:43 pm »
just to add, I see in the documentation for LDR preamps common info this line:

Does this apply to the LDR3x V2 boards?

thanks again,