Soundocity Outriggers For VR-33's or VR-35's?

smilach

Soundocity Outriggers For VR-33's or VR-35's?
« on: 17 Aug 2014, 07:48 pm »
I'm thinking about purchasing Soundocity outriggers to add a touch more stability to my VR-33's.    The web site for the product is here: http://www.soundocity.com/products.html

Has anyone else used this product for their VR-33's or VR-35's?  What do you think of the results?  Given the trapezoidal shape of the speakers, what size outriggers did you order for the front and the back of each speaker?  :scratch:

JackD201

Re: Soundocity Outriggers For VR-33's or VR-35's?
« Reply #1 on: 18 Aug 2014, 08:59 am »
We used Keith's 44s for a show and Keith has Soundocity outriggers. I couldn't tell the difference in terms of sonics vs the supplied spikes but they did look cool with the outriggers. I'm not sure if the 33s/35s also use M8 size threads for the spikes as most other models do. I think that would be the first thing to find out.

smilach

« Reply #2 on: 18 Aug 2014, 05:34 pm »
I just called VSA and the inserts in the VR-33 are 8 millimeter.  I will check with Soundocity to see if that is a problem.

JackD201

« Reply #3 on: 19 Aug 2014, 02:32 am »
Hi Smilach

M8 won't be a problem. Bolts are available in most hardware stores if the ones supplied don't fit. As for the length of the cross members, they are not that rigid and can flex. To avoid this, choose lengths that will have minimum space from the cabinet edges to the spike assemblies while still allowing room for the height/rake knobs to be used. You'll have to order two different lengths. Have fun! :)

Jack

smilach

« Reply #4 on: 19 Aug 2014, 02:42 am »
Soundocity replied that shipping the outriggers with the eight millimeter hardware is no problem.  Thanks much, JackD201, for the tip on flex and the length of the outriggers!

In my case I'm not expecting tremendous sonic benefit from the Soundocity outriggers vs the standard spikes supplied with the VR-33's.  I am looking for an increase in stability without a loss in sonic benefit.

JackD201

« Reply #5 on: 19 Aug 2014, 02:56 am »
Anytime  my friend :D

Delacroix

« Reply #6 on: 21 Aug 2014, 12:28 am »
I use these on my VR5 Annis --- and found the Herbie Audio Labs footers under the spikes added a bit more resolution to the mix AND allows for easier movement of the assembled speaker on wooden floors.

harley52

« Reply #7 on: 29 Aug 2014, 01:40 am »
 You may want to go front to back rather than side to side. That way it  would be cheaper and to me it would look better or go from front corner to rear corner. The 11.36 to 13.6  are the ones I would think would work for you. Weight shouldn't be a problem with them being 1/4 thick over what is a short distance. I would like to see a pic if you do go this route. I think that would really look good. :thumb:

smilach

« Reply #8 on: 29 Aug 2014, 04:01 am »
You may want to go front to back rather than side to side. That way it  would be cheaper and to me it would look better or go from front corner to rear corner. The 11.36 to 13.6  are the ones I would think would work for you. Weight shouldn't be a problem with them being 1/4 thick over what is a short distance. I would like to see a pic if you do go this route. I think that would really look good. :thumb:

I would need to check with Paul, but I'm question whether the shape of the Soundocity's would allow for corner-to-corner applications and I'm not certain if there is +/- 1/4" of adjustment in the cones to accommodate that application.  If you know of a company that manufactures outriggers designed for an "X" configuration similar to what is used for some of the Thiel speakers, please let me know!

As for running the outriggers from front to back, the rear inserts are approximately 13.25" center to center with the front inserts only about 6.5" center to center.  The application you propose would result in the cones being approximately 15" apart in the back but closer to 5" apart in the front.  Given that the plinth is now raised above the level of the carpet, that would decrease the lateral stability of the speaker which defeats my original  purpose.

kgturner

« Reply #9 on: 8 Sep 2014, 04:27 am »
If you know of a company that manufactures outriggers designed for an "X" configuration similar to what is used for some of the Thiel speakers, please let me know!

Contact oregondv.com. I know they used to do custom work before offering the Soundocity outriggers. I had a set of X style speaker outriggers made for my Von Schweikert dB99 speakers. The entire bottom plinth is a solid piece of steel that the speaker bolts on. I paid about $450 for the set several years ago. You can see them attached to my speakers in my gallery.

Kevin T