AVA will be showing a brand new solid state power amp at Axpona

md92468

Would love to see some pics if anyone took some....

Paret

• Keller, TX
Would love to see some pics if anyone took some....

I tried one but it kept showing upside down.

tonyptony

I know Frank insists on saying his equipment doesn't have a sound. However, after owning a lot of Franks fet valve amps and hearing his solid state amp at RMAF. I have noticed a common thread running between them. Very open highs, uncolored mids, controlled bass that goes as low as the music does and great soundstage. All the qualities of a good amp. The SET amp doesn't really sound like the others, yes it does all these things but with more clarity and immediacy that really sets it apart from the others. The closest sound to a wire with gain I have heard. If you aren't ready to buy a new amp I don't suggest you listen to the SET. The Alta Audio speakers sounded great, especially for their size. I prefer the larger bi-amped speakers they showed at RMAF but these were a fraction of the price and still allowed the emotion of the music to be felt. A great room all in all.   

Hydro's assessment is spot on, as are the other comments. The SET amp should be at the top of the list for anyone looking for a new power amp, at Frank's price and (as usual) for anyone thinking of something more spendy. From what I heard (my friend and I spent two lengthy sessions in Frank's room) it was one of a very few rooms that produced music in a way that grabbed the brain and the heart. A "wire with gain" amp that also brings beauty and emotion to the musical presentation. The rest of the system helped, of course. :)

nature boy

Frank,
Are you considering an integrated amplifier based on the SET design?
NB

avahifi

We can't pack in all the power amp circuits and preamp circuits into one package and maintain the quality and low noise performance we want.

However since the SET 150 amp is just $899 and the matching Vision RB preamp is also $899, and the two units stack and match, you can have integrated amp size and cost for $1798 and much better musical quality to boot.

Frank

mav52

Frank when will you have these on your web site.

nature boy

Frank,
Thank you for your reply and helpful insights.
NB

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
I've searched, but haven't found any Professional Reviewer comments on the AXPONA room, and new SET amplifier, and only several comments from visitors to the room. Are there any more comments out there?

avahifi

Yes, disappointing.

We had the best sound we have ever had at a show both at RMAF and at Axpona recently with Alta speakers and lots of very positive comments from show visitors to our room.

But

Absolutely no mention from most of the major publications, not even any room visits, at either show.

Stereophile did give us a brief mention after RMAF saying it was best AVA sound they had heard at RMAF,  but the limiter, “at RMAF” was discouraging.

All is not lost, we just sent a new Vision SET 400 to Enjoy the Music for review.  They enjoyed our sound at Axpona.

Maybe we are not spending enough on advertising recently.

Frank

WGH

Advertising is old school, you need to send out more tweets!

mav52

Yes, disappointing.

We had the best sound we have ever had at a show both at RMAF and at Axpona recently with Alta speakers and lots of very positive comments from show visitors to our room.

But

Absolutely no mention from most of the major publications, not even any room visits, at either show.

Stereophile did give us a brief mention after RMAF saying it was best AVA sound they had heard at RMAF,  but the limiter, “at RMAF” was discouraging.

All is not lost, we just sent a new Vision SET 400 to Enjoy the Music for review.  They enjoyed our sound at Axpona.

Frank

Or make a model that's 4 times the cost and put a pretty case around it  :duh:

But hey, i get my honest reviews from actual real users not from paid advertisement sites Stereophile, TAS, etc..

Factorz

Frank,
When will this be on the site to purchase?

2bigears

:D very interesting ,,,, I need a new amp and pre ,,,,, :D

tomatchison

So, can we infer from the comments above that the Alta Audio speakers are excellent?  I ask because I gave in to an irrational impulse yesterday and bid on an ebay auction for a brand new pair of Alta Audio Rhea speakers at about half retail price.  Somewhat to my horror, and definitely to my surprise, I was the only bidder, and I believe these things will shortly arrive at my front door.  Wondering if they will be a step up from my KEF LS50's or if I will end up sending them back.

The new amps sound lovely.  Should I be thinking about trading in my Synergy amp?  Or even my FetValve 400R?

avahifi

I heard the Alta Rhea speakers ay Axpona.  We could not use them because the room was too small for them.  They excited low frequency room resonances. Base response just went too deep for the small room.  Mids and top end was better than just fine.

I will be getting a pair of them for myself.

Frank

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
The AVA website has the two new Vision SET amps included now. SET 400 at 225 W/ch I would have expected to be instead labelled SET 450, following previous nomenclature. Wondering if there will be an upgrade offered to owners of previous generation Synergy amps?