Getting started in hi rez music?

acwd1950

Getting started in hi rez music?
« on: 27 Aug 2009, 02:13 am »
What does a person need to get started in hi rez music? Equipment etc? I can tell you what I do have. A computer with a dvd burner and software that will burn dvd audio(or it says it can) The software is Nero burn something? It came with the dvd burner. And alot of vintage stereo equipment(too much the woman says, anyone else heard that?!?) And some blank dvds.  What else do I need? I have a dvd player but dont know nothing about it its a magnavox? I would like to try this hi rez without giving up a arm and a leg if you what I mean. Any suggestion?

Steve

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: Getting started in hi rez music?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Aug 2009, 02:52 am »
Steve,
I have like 5 minutes but wanted to first say hi and great topic!!

Your Magnavox DVD player is theoretically capable of playing hirez in as much as it will play PCM up to 24/96, on DVD's such as Neil Young (greatest Hits, Live at Massey Hall, etc.) and any other DVD-Video that says it has PCM stereo tracks at 24/96.  This is unprotetced and not proprietary, unlike PPCM or MLP (same thing) which comes on a DVD-Audio disc and is playable only on DVD-Audio players (but capable of up to 24/192).  Also if you come across discs called DADs or HDADS they have 24/96 PCM on one side (DVD-V) and DVD-Audio-only 24/192 on the other.  You can play the 24/96 DVD-V side.

Now, the bigger issue is what to feed this limited amount of 24/96 HiRez to?  Well, stereo analog outs of the DVD player is one option (thereby using the inexpensive, but 24/96 nonetheless, DACs in your DVD player).  If you want to send the 24/96 to an external DAC (better quality, etc.) you would use the coax output and send it to a yet-to-be-purchased external DAC that accepts coax (SPDIF), which is all but a few.  Your vintage amps, preamps, etc...that go after the DAC, are fine!

You could also rip this 24/96 Hirez material off the DVD using DVD Audio Extractor (freeware, see other thread here on ripping DVD music).  And although I don't know Nero Burn well enough, it may grab the 24/96 PCM off of DVD-Video discs too (certainly doesn't rip proprietary DVD-Audio/MLP, that's for sure).

I'll jump back in tmrw...gotta go.

acwd1950

« Reply #2 on: 27 Aug 2009, 03:35 am »
Ted,
I was looking at Nero just the other day and saw a dvd audio burn button, but I went back tonight and all I could find was a Nero Digital button?!? It says its a MP4 format? So what burning software do I need to make DVD audio with? Im real green with this so bear with me!

Steve

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 27 Aug 2009, 03:56 am »
This sticky is called "How to rip HiRez"

There will be a test!   :D

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=69151.0

acwd1950

« Reply #4 on: 28 Aug 2009, 02:10 am »
Ok I must not be following the game plan here. Just a couple of questions. First one is, can you rip a regular ol CD to a higher format? Like 24/96? If so how? I can rip cds and make Windows Media files and mp3s. Or am I missing something all together? I was playing with Nero earlier and made a mp4 using Nero digital. And had it sat to the highest setting 300kb/s. But couldnt change the bits? I guess it was still 16 bits I dont know. Please explain some of this mumbo jumbo?

Steve

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 28 Aug 2009, 03:35 am »
Not without upsampling software, which is NOT HiRez.  Can't make a silk purse....yadayada.

Making Mp3's is easy, it's reducing resolution; can't increase resolution if it's not there to begin with.

acwd1950

« Reply #6 on: 28 Aug 2009, 12:18 pm »
Ok then that explains alot. I have been going through the post about hirez download sites and trying to find some classic rock to download to try but cant find anything. I went to some of the links and found nothing. Which of these sites has that type of music?

Steve