EarthWerks Flooring

Don_S

EarthWerks Flooring
« on: 26 Dec 2016, 07:39 pm »
Does anyone have experience with this flooring?  Allegedly PVC but the site is terrible and has almost no real information.

http://www.earthwerks.net/wpc.php?region=US&lang=EN&maintb=vinyl

I have vinyl in a kitchen that needs replaced.  I had been considering tile but then saw this at a local store.

In addition to my kitchen I am also considering doing my dining area, entrance, and hallway with this material.  I don't wear shoes in my home but I am an outside person and come in and out a lot.  I have a pool and the access to that is via a sliding door off of my dining area.

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
Re: EarthWerks Flooring
« Reply #1 on: 26 Dec 2016, 09:19 pm »
I do not have experience with that manufacturer. I do have the Karendean Vinyl plank flooring in my bathroom and dining room. This is very tough material. The dining room flooring is an aged cherry. Most people believe it's wood flooring. Easy to install. Far easier than the tile I put in the kitchen. I liked it enough to do the rear wall of my listening room.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 26 Dec 2016, 09:36 pm »
Don,

Why be the first kid on the block?  My advice is to stick with known products. 

Don_S

« Reply #3 on: 26 Dec 2016, 09:37 pm »
Bob,

Thank you.  That is encouraging.  I keep thinking "plastic" and wondering about durability of the finish.

"Mr. McGuire: I just want to say one word to you. Just one word.
Benjamin: Yes, sir.
Mr. McGuire: Are you listening?
Benjamin: Yes, I am.
Mr. McGuire: Plastics.
Benjamin: Exactly how do you mean?
Mr. Maguire: There is a great future in plastics. Think about it. Will you think about it?
Benjamin Braddock: Yes, I will.
Mr. Maguire: Okay. Enough said. That's a deal."

Don_S

« Reply #4 on: 26 Dec 2016, 09:58 pm »
Don,

Why be the first kid on the block?  My advice is to stick with known products.

I have no desire to be the first kid on the block.  That is why I asked for shared experiences.  Just because I never heard of the material before doesn't mean someone else hasn't been walking on it for 10 years.  I have not shopped flooring in a long time. I am exploring all options.

md92468

« Reply #5 on: 26 Dec 2016, 10:32 pm »
Just installed "Smart Core" floors (Lowe's product) in my basement (concrete subfloor)...these appear to be a similar product. Installing these requires some planning, especially if you want to create a non-repeating stagger (as I did - worth the extra work, IMO).  I also used baseboard molding so I didn't have to be dead on perfect with my lateral cuts. Overall I'm very satisfied with the results - they look great, clean easily, and are surprisingly durable. While I don't think anyone would mistake them for true hardwood floors, they don't feel cheap or "plastic-y". YMMV, of course, but I'd buy them again. Good luck!

srb

« Reply #6 on: 26 Dec 2016, 10:52 pm »
I keep thinking "plastic" and wondering about durability of the finish.

I keep thinking "PVC and vinyl flooring" and wondering about the outgassing of phthalates (plasticizers that make PVC more flexible and resilient).

Home Depot has been the most aggressive in eliminating these toxic products and by the end of Q1 2015 had phased out 85% of flooring containing it.  Until the entire plastic flooring industry gets on board, I prefer the relative safety and inertness of ceramic tile.

Steve

Folsom

« Reply #7 on: 27 Dec 2016, 12:44 am »
So what are the safe ones?