Recommendations on oscillating multi-tool ?

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
Recommendations on oscillating multi-tool ?
« on: 15 Aug 2016, 02:58 pm »
Ok guys, I'm sure a number of you have one. Got a couple of projects where a pro painter friend says the sanding option would save a lot of time & elbow grease. Anyone have a recommendation on manufacturer ?  My buddy noted Dremel, an Azon search turns up several known names. Porter-Cable, DeWalt, Bosch, as well as Dremel. Fein looks nice, and as expected given the pricing not surprised it's German made. But don't need the best here, just something that will "git 'er done", and last for a fair bit.

Any experience with battery powered vs corded ? It isn't heavy duty work, and while cordless is nice, appears there's at least a 50% increase in weight going that way. Am thinking middle of the road powerwise, 3.0 amp +. Don't see I'll need the 7 amp or so unit.

Have known Dremel since forever, a friend used to use their rotary tool on models back in the day, and have had a Sears version for years that still comes in handy from time to time. So what say you, who's is the best bang for the buck ? Appreciate any input/thoughts. 

JohnR

Re: Recommendations on oscillating multi-tool ?
« Reply #1 on: 15 Aug 2016, 03:29 pm »
FWIW I sold my corded and bought a cordless. For the type of things you end up using a multitool for, corded is a pain. Oddly I can't report on how well the cordless works/lasts etc as I haven't done much of that type of work on the house since then. I think/suspect the critical thing if going cordless is a brushless motor, they seem to be so much more powerful. Mine is/are Bosch (the most powerful, forget the lower powered ones).

With all that said, I don't think I would buy a multitool for sanding...

JohnR

« Reply #2 on: 15 Aug 2016, 03:45 pm »
This one  - https://www.amazon.com/Bare-Tool-MXH180BL-Brushless-Oscillating-Exact-Fit/dp/B00E1RSUDW

Regardless of manufacturer, get one with quick release, I couldn't imagine having to fiddle with a hex key every time a blade change is needed. Maybe not an issue for sanding.

I suppose the big issue with cordless is that you need a battery system to go with it. If you already have cordless tools, that will push you towards a compatible tool. Otherwise, expect to pay  :icon_surprised: :roll:

ArthurDent

« Reply #3 on: 15 Aug 2016, 04:29 pm »
Thanks JohnR appreciate you sharing your experience. I was thinking cordless as well, since I can't seem to use a corded tool of any sort any more without stepping on the cord while working. The particular sanding project is exterior window trim with some relatively fine detail (though mostly flat), where block or folded sanding will be a big finger cramp creator in the long haul. Also, getting into the corners with the sanding triangle edge will be much easier. There have been a couple of projects the last couple of years where the flush cutting feature would have been nice, though I was actually able to use the rotary unit with a cutting wheel for one of those.

I noted the brushless motor feature, and seems the way to go. Yep, quick release is a must. Batteries.....I've got 12, 14.4, & 18 volt DeWalts, and 18 volt Ryobi. Chargers & spares on most all units, though I seem to have lost track of the spare 18V for the sawsall.  :scratch:  I'll find it eventually when I complete my next clean-up of the garage. But will have to look into the battery issue closer.

Thanks Again - JD

Folsom

« Reply #4 on: 15 Aug 2016, 04:40 pm »
The Festool is the only one IMO. Why? Because it has a plunge base. There's no other way to make really nice accurate cuts into drywall and such. I've used a Bosch and some other no-names, the conclusion that I came to is that they're a bit too wild without some way to control where they make contact. This doesn't always matter, but it seems like whenever I used one, it did.

Don_S

« Reply #5 on: 15 Aug 2016, 05:21 pm »
What exactly do these tools do?  Maybe I need one because I have been doing things the hard way.

Folsom

« Reply #6 on: 15 Aug 2016, 05:32 pm »
What exactly do these tools do?  Maybe I need one because I have been doing things the hard way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yzqWG5fomE

bearman2

« Reply #7 on: 15 Aug 2016, 05:42 pm »
I have the $100 Rockwell and purchased it on sale for much less. It is corded and works well. I have owned it for over 3 years and have used it many many times for various projects from cutting door jams to sanding difficult areas. An oscillating tool is something that most people will not use a lot but it saves time in many instances. I would not spend the moon on one if you are not really going to use it frequently. The blades tend to be specific to the brand and they are expensive and will burn quickly if one is not careful. I have corded and cordless tools and IMO I would buy a corded oscillating tool if you plan to use it for sanding because I think the batteries will wear quickly.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #8 on: 15 Aug 2016, 05:52 pm »
I bought a Dremel cordless for the same reason as the OP thought it would be a good idea, but would definitely stay away from that brand.
I don't know what the problem is, but both batteries are now incapable of allowing maximum rpm without shutting down, and I have to be really gentle with it to get any running time out of a full charge. If I advance the speed too fast (there is a rheostat) it shuts down completely and I have to start slow again and sneak the rpm up. Of all my tools, this is the one tool where I would go corded next time. I have read a few reviews and it seems this is a common experience—buying cordless, then regretting it and advising others not to.

As to brand—now that the patent has run out, Feins are affordable in competition with the others. Fein invented this type of saw for removing casts without endangering patients' skin, back in 1968. Fein also has quick release tools. Also, having all that experience making them has got to count for something. They also are said to vibrate least.
Many feel Fein is the best performing, if not the quietest or smallest in the hand, and not quite the cheapest. Bosch is frequently mentioned as very good, and my experience with Bosch tools in general has been excellent.

If I were buying now, I would look at Fein and Bosch.

Don_S

« Reply #9 on: 15 Aug 2016, 06:16 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yzqWG5fomE

Cool for plunge cuts but what are the other cutting blades for?  I still don't get the triangle-shaped blades.

There are trade-offs.  I have made many cuts for new outlet boxes in completed walls. I used a utility knife and a short-blade keyhole saw.  The hard way???  I say no since I made minimal mess and clean up was much easier. It looks like the plunge cutter would not make too much work to clean up.  But rotary tools are a different matter.  They tend to spread dust.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #10 on: 15 Aug 2016, 06:19 pm »
My two cents:

I own a Fein which was bought when they were an oddity, marketed as sanders and protected by patents. At that time saw blades were available in one flavor IIRC. Must have been 15 or 20  years ago...no kidding. Still working today remodeling, but I noticed it's got a little rattle internally.

When it dies, I'll replace with another Fein or Bosch.

I also have a 18 volt LXT Makita which is OK when occasionally pressed into action, but consumes batteries when doing anything the least bit demanding. It's bulky and heavy to boot.

For my use, the cordless isn't a replacement for corded, but handy for some things. Battery power is great for some things and getting better all the time with higher amp/hr ratings, newer chemistry and brushless motors, but for some things it's just not there yet. Notably grinders, saws, and oscillating tools.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #11 on: 15 Aug 2016, 06:32 pm »
Cool for plunge cuts but what are the other cutting blades for?  I still don't get the triangle-shaped blades.

There are trade-offs.  I have made many cuts for new outlet boxes in completed walls. I used a utility knife and a short-blade keyhole saw.  The hard way???  I say no since I made minimal mess and clean up was much easier. It looks like the plunge cutter would not make too much work to clean up.  But rotary tools are a different matter.  They tend to spread dust.

Funny you should mention that, I've tried the Fein for cut-in remodel boxes in drywall and while it works, it doesn't save any appreciable time and creates lot of fine dust. I does work better than anything else I've found in plaster and lath walls, but that's with a diamond blade.

This is my go-to for cutting in elec. boxes while not tearing up my tool bag with exposed teeth:

https://www.zoro.com/milwaukee-jab-saw-folding-11-12-in-l-6-in-blade-48-22-0305/i/G3549025/?gclid=CPf9ieWGxM4CFYNufgodmTYO9A&gclsrc=aw.ds

JohnR

« Reply #12 on: 16 Aug 2016, 08:21 am »

You use them when you can't figure out any other way to get the job done :) They're for "surgery". Sometimes, you might think you could do just as well if you had a really good set of chisels. Except that would cost more than a multitool. And you probably wouldn't want to use them where you might hit a nail (framing etc) whereas with a multitool you don't care about that.

Those videos never show realistic tasks. These are slow, awkward, and they just chew through blades. But... sometimes there's no other way. Like if you need to cut a slot out of a piece of framing that already has drywall (or tiling!) up on one side. You just can't use any other type of saw.

For replacement blades, I don't buy genuine, I find ebay to be a good source. Or maybe amazon?

On the "triangle blade" question, depends on what you mean. Some are a grout removal thing, work well for small areas. Some are a sanding pad. Some might even be a wide wood cutting blade.

JohnR

« Reply #13 on: 16 Aug 2016, 08:27 am »
Battery power is great for some things and getting better all the time with higher amp/hr ratings, newer chemistry and brushless motors, but for some things it's just not there yet. Notably grinders, saws, and oscillating tools.

FWIW I think the revolution is in progress right now. Don't judge based on your Makita :) These brushless motors are incredible. I laughed at the Festool cordless tracksaw when I saw it, but now I've bought one  :o

ArthurDent

« Reply #14 on: 16 Aug 2016, 02:26 pm »
Thank You to all for your thoughts & input. I understand that for daily professional production work the unit may not be the best option, and with all things practice makes perfect. Hence the difference between craftsmen & weekenders (like me). As we get older we often take the 'easier road' even at the expense of higher monetary cost. Unless you perform various tasks fairly often the body often does not react well to exercises it's not familiar with. The friend I noted who recommended this option has been a self employed all around handyman for 30+ years, choosing painting as his preferred work for some time. He still routinely works 30' in the air on ladders at 68, alone, something which is mostly beyond my comprehension & certainly desire or ability. But we all have 'tricks of the trade' within our chosen professions, so when he suggests something as an option to consider, I listen.

Are there other options, certainly. As noted block sanding, or simply folded paper sanding, which he also gave me a 'trick' tip on I hadn't known. As JohnR notes one of the optional triangles is a pad for the sanding tool, which uses Velcro pad discs, like many sanders today. Since the molding details I'll be sanding are less than 1/2" flats the discs can be rotated to use all 3 edges as well as the center for the larger areas. As you note Peter, battery tools have their place, and are not always the best option. You certainly should have at least one backup in the charger all the time. I still use a corded drill to drive my Rigid drain snake, as my battery powered units don't have the speed variability desired. Sustained torque can also be a short coming with battery units.

Appreciate the assist, will do my 'homework', and see how it all shakes (or oscillates) out.   :thumb:

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #15 on: 16 Aug 2016, 06:40 pm »
The Festool is the only one IMO. Why? Because it has a plunge base. There's no other way to make really nice accurate cuts into drywall and such. I've used a Bosch and some other no-names, the conclusion that I came to is that they're a bit too wild without some way to control where they make contact. This doesn't always matter, but it seems like whenever I used one, it did.

But its $600!  Maybe one could make a jig to get the same results as the plunge base.

Charles Calkins

« Reply #16 on: 16 Aug 2016, 08:44 pm »
Ok guys, I'm sure a number of you have one. Got a couple of projects where a pro painter friend says the sanding option would save a lot of time & elbow grease. Anyone have a recommendation on manufacturer ?  My buddy noted Dremel, an Azon search turns up several known names. Porter-Cable, DeWalt, Bosch, as well as Dremel. Fein looks nice, and as expected given the pricing not surprised it's German made. But don't need the best here, just something that will "git 'er done", and last for a fair bit.

Any experience with battery powered vs corded ? It isn't heavy duty work, and while cordless is nice, appears there's at least a 50% increase in weight going that way. Am thinking middle of the road powerwise, 3.0 amp +. Don't see I'll need the 7 amp or so unit.

Have known Dremel since forever, a friend used to use their rotary tool on models back in the day, and have had a Sears version for years that still comes in handy from time to time. So what say you, who's is the best bang for the buck ? Appreciate any input/thoughts.
  ArthurDent:

What ever woodworking tool you buy I highly recommend The Porter Cable brand.
   I've been using them since the mid 1970's and they have been very reliable.
   None better as far as i'm concerned.

Cheers
                                                             Charlie

bentconvert

« Reply #17 on: 16 Aug 2016, 09:37 pm »
I bought a corded model from Harbor Freight. It was on sale for $15.00. It was used to scrape adhesive off of a concrete wall after removing some paneling during a home remodel. Also cut outlet holes in drywall and notches in floor joists for copper pipe.  It worked great.

It has a hex bolt to attach the tools and that is fine by me as it is only used occasionally.

Steve

Charles Calkins

« Reply #18 on: 16 Aug 2016, 10:25 pm »
I bought a corded model from Harbor Freight. It was on sale for $15.00. It was used to scrape adhesive off of a concrete wall after removing some paneling during a home remodel. Also cut outlet holes in drywall and notches in floor joists for copper pipe.  It worked great.

It has a hex bolt to attach the tools and that is fine by me as it is only used occasionally.

Steve

Nothing wrong with Harbor Freight tools. Their price is right. Quality seems to be good.
 Who knows how long they will last with everyday usage.

Cheers
                                                           Charlie

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #19 on: 16 Aug 2016, 11:16 pm »

Steve

The Harbor Freight tool is an absolute steel for how well it works and you can get it on sale for cheap. I have tried 2 corded units, one is the Harbor Freight and I believe the other was a Dewalt, not sure but I liked the Harbor Freight better. I also own a cordless Rigid and would not buy another cordless if they are anything like the Rigid, just not enough power. I know a contractor and all of his crew have the Harbor Freight on their trucks, he swears by them and when they die he just buys another one. I own 2 for two houses and they work really well for all kinds of projects. I was sceptical until I tried one as I don't normally buy tools at Harbor Freight since so many are junk. The blades also cost much less than the name brands and are interchangeable, but they wear out pretty fast with heavy use.