Can you recommend a tube amp that's reasonably priced?

ctviggen

One that's perhaps under $200?  Or do I have to pay much more for one?

I have one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A2QKTLW/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But it began making a horrible buzzing sound within about 6 months.  (And I changed the tube with a new one, with no effect.)

I'm currently using a Grado headphone (either the 125 or 225 -- will report back once I get to work) and listen all day long while at work.

Is there such a thing as a reasonable tube headphone amp, or am I looking at $500+?

-----
Edit:  They're Grado SR225.
« Last Edit: 30 Apr 2015, 01:52 pm by ctviggen »

minimus

Re: Can you recommend a tube amp that's reasonably priced?
« Reply #1 on: 30 Apr 2015, 11:20 am »
One of the low end Schiit amps would be within your budget. 

mcgsxr

« Reply #2 on: 30 Apr 2015, 11:40 am »
There are a couple of Little Dot tube amps that are reputed to be excellent with the Grado's.

I see them on Amazon for well under $200, and with upgraded tubes they would fit right into the budget.

[url][/http://www.amazon.com/Little-Dot-6JI-standard-Headphone/dp/B00A2QM5O6url]

I used a Millett Hybrid that I had built for me when I had Grado's.  I liked that a lot.  Used they might be around the budget, but they will be harder to find.

2gumby2

« Reply #3 on: 30 Apr 2015, 11:49 am »
Take a look at what garage1217 has to offer. I am very satisfied with my Project Polaris and I am planning to purchase their Project Solstice this summer. Link below.
http://www.garage1217.com/

FireGuy

« Reply #4 on: 30 Apr 2015, 12:07 pm »
+1

BobM

« Reply #5 on: 30 Apr 2015, 12:31 pm »
Your answer lies in the combined experience over at Head-Fi.org, plus there are always head amps for sale there used, and cheap.

ctviggen

« Reply #6 on: 30 Apr 2015, 01:52 pm »

I looked at those for a while, but decided to go cheaper instead.  I likely made a mistake.

ctviggen

« Reply #7 on: 30 Apr 2015, 01:54 pm »
Thanks for all the help.  Now, I have some research to do!

jaylevine

« Reply #8 on: 1 May 2015, 12:18 pm »
One that's perhaps under $200?  Or do I have to pay much more for one?

I have one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A2QKTLW/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But it began making a horrible buzzing sound within about 6 months.  (And I changed the tube with a new one, with no effect.)

I'm currently using a Grado headphone (either the 125 or 225 -- will report back once I get to work) and listen all day long while at work.

Is there such a thing as a reasonable tube headphone amp, or am I looking at $500+?

-----
Edit:  They're Grado SR225.

You should look at the HIFIman EF5 on the used market, can drive planar pretty hard so can drive almost anything. Best part very quiet noise floor. Hybrid (tube/op amp) but really well made with tube like qualities.

grsimmon

• Restricted
  • Omni - the best way forward
« Reply #9 on: 1 May 2015, 08:33 pm »
Yes - you need to look into the Bellari HA 540.   Made in the USA,  fine build quality, uses a single tube.   Retail is $300,  but you can find them used or "open box" on Amazon as a warehouse deal.  Repeat after me,  "I do NOT need to spend $500 to get a quality tube head-amp."   If you don't like the Bellari,  you can go with a Schiit as mentioned above,  also made in the USA.   

ajzepp

« Reply #10 on: 2 May 2015, 12:14 pm »
I'll echo what others said....Little Dot is the way to go, especially for Grados. Very respected on head-fi, excellent customer service, fast shipping, and fantastic sound for very little money.

I've had mine for almost three years and love it.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #11 on: 2 May 2015, 12:32 pm »
I'll echo what others said....Little Dot is the way to go, especially for Grados. Very respected on head-fi, excellent customer service, fast shipping, and fantastic sound for very little money.

I've had mine for almost three years and love it.

Which Little Dot would you recommend?  They go from Mark I to IV I believe, with ever increasing prices. 

grsimmon

• Restricted
  • Omni - the best way forward
« Reply #12 on: 2 May 2015, 09:14 pm »
Little Dot =  made in China, 1 year warranty.  No thanks. 

ajzepp

« Reply #13 on: 3 May 2015, 05:54 am »
Which Little Dot would you recommend?  They go from Mark I to IV I believe, with ever increasing prices.

This is the one I have, and that many Grado owners have...fantastic little amp.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/little-dot-i

milford3

« Reply #14 on: 3 May 2015, 06:08 am »
You can't wrong with the Musical Paradise MP-301 MK3. 

http://www.musicalparadise.ca/store/

KR500

« Reply #15 on: 3 May 2015, 11:44 am »
I have the Bravo and it sounds okay with a JJ tube upgrade . Got it on sale from PE but not sure how long it will last
Bought the Little Dot MK II+ from the manufacturer and it sounds best after tube rolling with Russian NOS.The unit arrived with broken PCB standoff  due too small shipping carton but has worked fine for years and sounds very good.
Also own the Bellari Phono preamp with included headphone circuit . After tube rolling it sounds best with Sovtek 12AX7LPS as per the manufacturer schematic. Wasn't there a shootout on line between the Bellari and the Project sunrise HA ?
I own the Schitt Bifrost w// uber upgrade and they are designed and made in the US and have a 5 year warranty. First one was DOA but got immediate replacement which has worked great for years. The company has top notch customer service from my experience.

ctviggen

« Reply #16 on: 3 May 2015, 02:51 pm »
Those are some great recommendations!  Now I just need to get the time to look into all of these options.

Blu99Zoomer

« Reply #17 on: 3 May 2015, 06:36 pm »
ctviggen,

I might suggest attending a local Head-Fi meet if there's one in your area.  Talk about a one stop shop!  DIY, top name brands, cans of all varieties, amps and dacs of all persuasions, you name it.  On top of that, lots of good folks willing to share their own personal stories, you get to listen yourself if you'd like, and you will!!  I was fortunate to make the NYC Spring Meet.  I am still amazed the day after.  Do it!

Blu99Zoomer

roscoeiii

« Reply #18 on: 3 May 2015, 06:56 pm »
I have really enjoyed my Little Dot VI, which is not going to be a good fit for you in terms of price or your headphones. But like the company's stuff and they seem to have a solid rep on Headfi.

Another potential option is the Little Dot N3. They also sell (or sold) a headphone adaptor for the amp.

Though for all of this, it should be noted that with the HifiMan HE-5LEs, I am on the power hungry planar end of the spectrum.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #19 on: 4 May 2015, 01:23 am »
If you're going to be in it for the long haul stretch your budget and hunt around for a used Woo Audio offering.
They're built like tanks here in the US and you won't get the upgrade bug for a better amp.