Westone UM1

mcgsxr

Westone UM1
« on: 9 Mar 2015, 05:16 pm »
Impulse buy off eBay last night.  Waiting for them to arrive from the west coast.

I have been using an older set of Shure iems, but wanted to try something different after my daughter pushed back on my constant stealing of the NuForce iems I bought her last year!

Saw a cheap used set of the Westones and figured I would give them a go.  Figured for $50 I could not go wrong.

Looking for music on the train and on planes.

Anybody owned them before?

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
Re: Westone UM1
« Reply #1 on: 15 Mar 2015, 04:53 pm »
Always wanted some, looking forward to your impressions.
I have the Nuforce 600 and always enjoy them, SoundMagic E10's are my current go to iems. I have way too many.....LOL.

mcgsxr

« Reply #2 on: 17 Mar 2015, 04:20 pm »
I returned from an work trip to NYC over the weekend, and the little iems (and man are they small!) were waiting for me.

Some tip experimentation still ongoing, but first impressions match those of published reviews - acceptable bass, acceptable treble and detail, but excellent mids.  For a single driver iem I suppose this makes sense.

They are different from my Shure 210's, and my daughter's low end NuForce iems.

Excellent braided wires, no snagging and no sound transmitted from them moving around.  These will be a treat on the train or on a plane.

Not using an amp, just running them from my iPhone 5s. 

I will try the modded Grant Fidelity DAC-11 at some point.

Recommended if you can score some on the cheap.

I expect that in time I will be tempted to move up the Westone line.

I may even be tempted to try custom fit iems.  I "hear" those are a good investment if you find a sound profile you dig.

mcgsxr

« Reply #3 on: 19 Mar 2015, 06:36 pm »
Decided to bring in a better headamp and see what these can do.

Found a used Decware Zenhead 1 here on AC, and with the help of a great AC'r I have it coming.

A transportable headamp should be nice for use around the house and yard.

My Fiio e5 can be used for actual portable listening, as the Decware piece is a little big for wandering around with, though it could do that for sure.

milford3

« Reply #4 on: 19 Mar 2015, 06:53 pm »
Concrats on the new Westone IEM's and the Decware ZenHead.  I also own the ZenHead and just love it.  FYI, the amp has jumpers inside that can be customized for IEM's.  Here's the owners manual.

http://www.decware.com/newsite/zenheadmanual.pdf

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #5 on: 26 Mar 2015, 12:19 pm »
Thanks for the Westone update, they look sorta big in pictures, I'd love some 3's but the price is just to high for me. I did recently grab some Havi Pro 1's from Massdrop with 2 drivers per earpiece that are due today...they were around $50 and get solid reviews so I'll update in a new thread when I get time.

I'll get some Westones someday.... :thumb: