Channel Islands Integrated?

avadoro

« on: 21 Jan 2006, 03:20 pm »
Is Channel Islands likely to make an integrated amp?
That could be a very nice choice for many users!

CIAudio

« Reply #1 on: 21 Jan 2006, 07:36 pm »
someday  :wink:

unityaudio.ca

« Reply #2 on: 22 Jan 2006, 12:52 am »
That day can't come too soon!  :D

denjo

« Reply #3 on: 22 Jan 2006, 01:48 am »
I look forward to a Channel Island integrated (with a transformer volume control).....that would be a match made in heaven!

giorgino1

« Reply #4 on: 23 Jan 2006, 12:08 am »
Quote from: CIAudio
someday  :wink:

If you were going to build a hypothetical CI Audio Integrated amplifier, what technological direction would you be going towards? Digital with a passive / active preamp? High or lower powered?

CIAudio

« Reply #5 on: 23 Jan 2006, 04:42 am »
Quote from: giorgino1

If you were going to build a hypothetical CI Audio Integrated amplifier, what technological direction would you be going towards? Digital with a passive / active preamp? High or lower powered?

Sorry but I can't even start thinking about this yet...we still have other products in the works. Some of the things we do never become an actual product, so I usually won't say/post anything until it's in a final prototype stage or starting production.

giorgino1

« Reply #6 on: 24 Jan 2006, 06:25 pm »
Is there an inherent advantage in a pre/power amp design? I'm curious because you've designed 3 poweramps in the past 2 years.

CIAudio

« Reply #7 on: 24 Jan 2006, 06:49 pm »
There can be advantages and disadvantages...I still think well matched seperate components will yield the best performance, but an integrated is sometimes more desirable due to cost, compact size, fewer cables, etc.

giorgino1

« Reply #8 on: 24 Jan 2006, 08:20 pm »
There can be advantages and disadvantages...I still think well matched seperate components will yield the best performance...

Yeah, the ability to "tune" your system to suit your personal preference can definitely be a double-edged sword. It also multiplies the chances of getting it all wrong and never getting you off the upgrade merry-go-round.
My personal motivation for being interested in an integrated is to reducing the amount of hifi real-estate on my rack.
Is there an argument to say that audiophiles should really be content in getting the sound they want from playing around with an integrated amp, integrated CDP, speakers tweaks and cables...? :D

CIAudio

« Reply #9 on: 25 Jan 2006, 02:52 am »
Many trade-offs when putting everything in a single enclosure...

Due to size, power is limited, transformers and power supplies are shared, and audio circuits can pick up noise from each other and the supplies from being in close proximity of each other.

Separate components can have their own dedicated supplies, shielded enclosures, and room for more powerful circuitry and better layouts.

Both have their merits, it just depends on your needs and what you're trying to achieve.

unityaudio.ca

« Reply #10 on: 25 Jan 2006, 04:24 pm »
One of the things I LOVE about the CI Audio product is the size - one can put together a preamp and pair of mono blocks that take roughly the same amount of real estate as an integrated, and for the money, the performance is MUCH better, to my ears anyway.  8)

kfr01

Remote please...
« Reply #11 on: 27 Jan 2006, 01:14 am »
If you do decide to make an integrated, please make it remote.  There's just no way I'd (and I bet many others) would ever consider buying a $1000+ non-remote controlled integrated in the year 2006.  

My 2c

Edited to reflect the correct year ;-)

CIAudio

« Reply #12 on: 27 Jan 2006, 01:34 am »
check your calendar...it's 2006  :lol:

Yes..IF and when we make an intergrated, it will have a remote.

unityaudio.ca

« Reply #13 on: 27 Jan 2006, 03:47 pm »
Dusty, I think a preamp with a remote would be better than and integrated.  Mated with a set of VMB1's would be awesome.
Are the VMB1 still available?

kfr01

« Reply #14 on: 27 Jan 2006, 04:14 pm »
Quote from: unityaudio.ca
Dusty, I think a preamp with a remote would be better than and integrated.

You know, I'd agree with that.  I would have gone with one of your passive pres a long time ago if it had a remote.

CIAudio

« Reply #15 on: 27 Jan 2006, 04:26 pm »
The remote system we're working on will be incorporated in several upcoming products...preamp is first on the list.

VMB-1's have been discontinued. We feel the D series offer better sound and versatility. VMB's sound great, but have power and load impedance limitations.

kfr01

« Reply #16 on: 27 Jan 2006, 04:50 pm »
Quote from: unityaudio.ca
Dusty, I think a preamp with a remote would be better than and integrated.  Mated with a set of VMB1's would be awesome.
Are the VMB1 still available?

Psst.  I think I saw a pair of VMB1's on audiogon a few days ago...

unityaudio.ca

« Reply #17 on: 27 Jan 2006, 04:56 pm »
:D
Already looked.  :wink:
Since we're a dealer, it would make more sense to have the D100/200 instead, but I wouldn't mind a set of VMB1 hooked up to the computer on my desk.
 8)

giorgino1

« Reply #18 on: 27 Jan 2006, 06:36 pm »
Audio listening is already a sedentary enough of a lifestyle without being exacebated by a remote control. Think about your circulation and spreading butt-cheeks lads... :D

unityaudio.ca

« Reply #19 on: 27 Jan 2006, 06:39 pm »
45 minute workout 3 times a week for me in the AM before I sit down at the desk.  :D