power cords for VMB-1s

chadh

power cords for VMB-1s
« on: 1 Mar 2005, 05:11 pm »
Does anyone have any good suggestions for powercords to use with the VMB-1s?  I have some cords with Marinco connectors which don't really work with the monoblocks, as the IEC port doesn't have quite enough clearance from the heat sinks at the back.  So I guess I need something with a smaller IEC connector.

I notice that many cable producers make a variety of power cables and recommend some for front end components and others for amps.  I get the impression that the amp recommendations are primarily a result of their low AWG numbers.  Is there any advantage to using low AWG power cords with the VMB-1s?

Or, as a different approach, is there any likely problem with filing back some of the big chunky plastic part of a marinco connector (other than the drastic loss in resale value)?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Chad

CIAudio

power cords for VMB-1s
« Reply #1 on: 2 Mar 2005, 06:05 am »
I think I've used the Harmonic Tech Pro11 power cords with them (maybe it was with the D-100's). I have more of these cords on order and can let you know when I get them.

If they fit, you could just replace your IEC females with the Furutech versions http://www.harmonictech.com/product_detail_furutech.asp?keyword=47

If interested, send me an email reminder and I'll get back to you.

Dusty
info@ciaudio.com

chadh

power cords for VMB-1s
« Reply #2 on: 2 Mar 2005, 03:46 pm »
Thanks Dusty.

I'll be in touch.

Chad

chadh

power cords for VMB-1s
« Reply #3 on: 2 Mar 2005, 09:20 pm »
Is there any reason to think that shielded power cables will produce a better effect with the VMB-1s than unshielded ones?  Or is this purely a matter of preference?

Chad

CIAudio

power cords for VMB-1s
« Reply #4 on: 3 Mar 2005, 03:35 am »
My guess in that a shielded type would probably make more improvement than a heavier gauge. The VMB-1 draws very little current (<2A max).
You might not hear any improvement because the IC used has very good noise rejection, but a shielded cable can't hurt.

chadh

power cords for VMB-1s
« Reply #5 on: 3 Mar 2005, 06:05 am »
Thanks again!