1st Review of Transient MKII USB Converter!

CIAudio

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: 1st Review of Transient MKII USB Converter!
« Reply #1 on: 14 Sep 2012, 08:56 am »
The review amounted to a left field/left handed compliment IMO:

First, the reviewer is unknown (to me at least), so I don't know how to gauge his qualitative comments.

Disappointed that he didn't mention running it with DAC (or "pre-ampless") function(s) through his bigger rig (that I'm not familiar with).  Hard to believe (especially as a reviewer) that he apparently didn't at least try this in his own rig.  BTW I'm a purist, so extra pieces/cables are a turn off, besides I expect the Transcient MkII (as a DAC/volume control included) to be able to hold its own in any system.

Very disappointed that he choose a quite average 40 year old based vintage system to audition the DAC section.  Between the pricing and value of CIA gear, the converter/DAC/PS should be all accounts be way over matched to the associated gear.  Frankly this portion of the review ends up being fairly useless and brings into question the credibility of the reviewer.

Both of these points would seem to indicate how little he valued and unestimated the piece's capabilities.

Where's Greg Weaver (past reviewer of several CIA pieces that I can relate to and who's opinion I do value) when you need him?

CIAudio

« Reply #2 on: 14 Sep 2012, 03:17 pm »
The Transient MKII is meant to be a first rate USB to s/pdif or I2S converter, so I think this is where he started and focused most of his listening.

I believe he did try it in his main rig as a DAC (maybe I'm wrong).
You can comment on the review page, and I assume he will reply to any questions you may have.

I met Vahan at T.H.E. Show Newport and was impressed by his knowledge of both recording/playback philosophy, and an enthusiasm for all things related to music.
It turns out that he comes from a professional background at NPR and doing orchestral recordings.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: 14 Sep 2012, 03:47 pm »
A tour sure would be nice.   :D

CIAudio

« Reply #4 on: 14 Sep 2012, 09:16 pm »
Where's Greg Weaver (past reviewer of several CIA pieces that I can relate to and who's opinion I do value) when you need him?

Greg has had a pair of D-500 MKII's for a couple months now, so you'll probably see a review from him in the near future... we'll see  :lol:

JLM

« Reply #5 on: 16 Sep 2012, 12:42 am »
The Transient MKII is meant to be a first rate USB to s/pdif or I2S converter, so I think this is where he started and focused most of his listening.

I believe he did try it in his main rig as a DAC (maybe I'm wrong).
You can comment on the review page, and I assume he will reply to any questions you may have.

I met Vahan at T.H.E. Show Newport and was impressed by his knowledge of both recording/playback philosophy, and an enthusiasm for all things related to music.
It turns out that he comes from a professional background at NPR and doing orchestral recordings.

Thanks, I did follow-up on your suggestion Dusty, but it seems like he's on a different wavelength from me.  (I moved on from the likes of the 2nd system over 30 years ago, and the main system he used involved pieces not in the audiophile mainstream - IMO a basic requirement for useful reviews).  From my limited exposure to recording/broadcasting I've found little relating to audiophile/musical quality.

In his reply to my comment he did indicate using as a pre/DAC in "too many systems to mention".  Hey, it's digital, why not mention them?  I'm sure it's a great piece, but the review involving unknown reviewer with unknown/outclassed gear isn't useful to me.

CIAudio

« Reply #6 on: 16 Sep 2012, 01:56 am »
There will be many more reviews to come from The Absolute Sound, TONE Audio, and others.
We'll also be shipping one to Greg Weaver at Positive Feedback on Monday.

JLM

« Reply #7 on: 16 Sep 2012, 11:35 am »
There will be many more reviews to come from The Absolute Sound, TONE Audio, and others.
We'll also be shipping one to Greg Weaver at Positive Feedback on Monday.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

saisunil

« Reply #8 on: 16 Sep 2012, 01:13 pm »
Not the best choice to review a high class USB DAC with a vintage amp that can be had for ~$200  :duh:

Look forward to reading other reviews and impressions  :thumb:

earwaxxer

« Reply #9 on: 24 Sep 2012, 01:08 am »
I will have to echo JLM's sentiments a bit, and add that the 'review' started out more like an advertisement, that I was more than a little turned off by. Us 'hard core' review freaks want the good stuff and lots of it. Dispense with the ads. Observations are of course what its about, but they need to be supported with comparisons between other observations of other (specific) gear etc. To beat a dead horse even more, I cant STAND it when a 'reviewer' uses crap equipment for the review. I had one of those old Marantz receivers not too long ago that I bought, for the jollies of it, at a garage sale. It sound like crap compared to 21st century gear. Sorry Steve Guttenburg and other like that, old gear is not always good gear! Like CIAudio said - we will wait for the 'real' reviews.

CIAudio

« Reply #10 on: 24 Sep 2012, 04:29 am »
For the "hard core" review freaks...
There will be a more conventional "audiophile" review of Transient MKII in the upcoming issue of The Absolute Sound. I'm told it will hit the news stands in early October.

nature boy

« Reply #11 on: 24 Sep 2012, 08:29 pm »
Cool beans.  Good luck with the new piece Dusty!

NB