Transient MKII Asynchronous USB Converter

CIAudio

Re: Transient MKII Asynchronous USB Converter
« Reply #60 on: 16 Sep 2012, 05:16 am »
It's working well with a Logitech Squeezebox Touch/Triode's EDO app.

I am no expert, and wouldn't even attempt to write a proper review, but my first impression is that the Transient/VDC5 lifts a veil off the music, compared to a Boulder-modded Squeezebox Classic/ciaudio VDA2 DAC. (both into ciaudio PLC1/DC100)

I am happy to be rediscovering my music again (a cliche I know..), and will wait until another day to start tweaking the EDO settings.

At some point I will do a direct comparison of the VDA2 and Transient DACs, but not today!

Nice to know it's working well with the Touch/EDO app... we haven't tested this yet.
Have you played any hi-res files?

Sounds like you have a very nice "all CIAudio" system!  :D

snoogly

« Reply #61 on: 16 Sep 2012, 08:46 am »
I tried some 96k albums, which worked fine, bit a 196k Linn album kept rebuffering.

CIAudio

« Reply #62 on: 16 Sep 2012, 02:55 pm »
I tried some 96k albums, which worked fine, bit a 196k Linn album kept rebuffering.

192 probably exceeds bandwidth of your wireless network

snoogly

« Reply #63 on: 16 Sep 2012, 07:24 pm »
192 probably exceeds bandwidth of your wireless network

Actually mine is a wired network, but I'm pretty sure the problem is somewhere in the EDO settings/configuration.

roscoeiii

« Reply #64 on: 16 Sep 2012, 07:27 pm »
How much RAM does your computer have? Another possible issue...

Turnandcough

« Reply #65 on: 16 Sep 2012, 10:51 pm »
@ snoogly

Did you update kernel?

snoogly

« Reply #66 on: 16 Sep 2012, 11:13 pm »
@ snoogly

Did you update kernel?

Yes, but I am not sure if I should have done! I was operating blind when I set it up ... just blundering ...

I also accidentally enabled the the USB 1 no hub workaround, before discovering that the Transient is USB 2. I can't figure out how to turn that off in the settings.

(Dusty, sorry to have taken this thread slightly off-tangent. Perhaps when more people get their hands on a Transient it might warrant an EDO specific thread...)

snoogly

« Reply #67 on: 16 Sep 2012, 11:20 pm »
How much RAM does your computer have? Another possible issue...

Good point. It's only 4gb, and that's the max (older Mac Mini).

Turnandcough

« Reply #68 on: 16 Sep 2012, 11:53 pm »
Yes, but I am not sure if I should have done! I was operating blind when I set it up ... just blundering ...

I also accidentally enabled the the USB 1 no hub workaround, before discovering that the Transient is USB 2. I can't figure out how to turn that off in the settings.

(Dusty, sorry to have taken this thread slightly off-tangent. Perhaps when more people get their hands on a Transient it might warrant an EDO specific thread...)

While slightly off topic I, for one, think it's relevant. Touch compatibility could be a strong selling point and the sooner the info is available the better.

BTW - RAM and ethernet capability most likely have nothing to do with your problem. I can stream 1080p video over ethernet OR a wireless G network from a PC with 4GB RAM. Try posting your issue on the EDO thread on the Slimdevices community forum.

snoogly

« Reply #69 on: 18 Oct 2012, 08:48 am »

Got a new Mac.
No more rebuffering!
:-)

Sweet sound that takes me back to my Roksan Xerxes. Certainly the most vinyl like sound I have heard since I abandoned my record collection 20 years ago, and no matter how loud I play it there is no distortion or discomfort (though my neighbors may think differently!).

CIAudio

« Reply #70 on: 18 Oct 2012, 04:02 pm »
Got a new Mac.
No more rebuffering!

Sweet sound that takes me back to my Roksan Xerxes. Certainly the most vinyl like sound I have heard since I abandoned my record collection 20 years ago, and no matter how loud I play it there is no distortion or discomfort (though my neighbors may think differently!).

Nice! What playback software are you using on the MAC?

The Dude

« Reply #71 on: 2 Dec 2012, 02:20 am »
We are working on a higher-end model that will accept DSD through USB, and also have several coaxial & toslink inputs, dual Burr Brown DAC's, 32 bit volume control, selectable digital filters, single-ended & balanced outputs, digital display, and full function remote.
This model will be much more expensive (somewhere around $2000) and won't be available until later this year.
It's almost the end of the year.  Any word on this yet?

CIAudio

« Reply #72 on: 2 Dec 2012, 08:10 pm »
We are working on a higher-end model that will accept DSD through USB, and also have several coaxial & toslink inputs, dual Burr Brown DAC's, 32 bit volume control, selectable digital filters, single-ended & balanced outputs, digital display, and full function remote.
This model will be much more expensive (somewhere around $2000) and won't be available until later this year.
It's almost the end of the year.  Any word on this yet?

We are still working on it but are still months away...
I've been working on several new products which have put me behind schedule   :?
I hope to have a few of the projects completed by the next Newport Show.

I'll post here when they're closer to being released.

-Dusty

WC

« Reply #73 on: 29 Jan 2013, 10:48 pm »
Will you be able to transfer DSD data from the USB to the digital outs? Or will that screw up the DAC in some way?

CIAudio

« Reply #74 on: 30 Jan 2013, 03:27 am »
Will you be able to transfer DSD data from the USB to the digital outs? Or will that screw up the DAC in some way?

No, the Transient MKII does not have DSD capabilities.

Ghostbuster70

« Reply #75 on: 6 Feb 2013, 01:25 pm »
Hello Dusty, and other forum mates :)

I'm Arjan from the Netherlands (Europe), and i have bought the Transient Converter with the power supply a few days ago.
I must say i'm really happy with it so far, my computer audio sounds identical as with my cd transport, and off course better with
the HD files.

But i was wondering if it is required to have the power supply "on" if i only use it as a converter ? I don't hear much sound differences, with or without it, or is that because of me ? :-)

with regards,
Arjan

CIAudio

« Reply #76 on: 6 Feb 2013, 06:30 pm »
Hello Dusty, and other forum mates

I'm Arjan from the Netherlands (Europe), and i have bought the Transient Converter with the power supply a few days ago.
I must say i'm really happy with it so far, my computer audio sounds identical as with my cd transport, and off course better with
the HD files.

But i was wondering if it is required to have the power supply "on" if i only use it as a converter ? I don't hear much sound differences, with or without it, or is that because of me ?

with regards,
Arjan

Hello Arjan & welcome to AudioCircle!

Glad you're enjoying the Transient MKII!

The upgrade supply can be turned off, and the Transient will automatically pull it's power from the USB.
Performance increase from the upgrade supply is dependent on a few things... mainly the quality of power supplied by the computer. Power from the USB can vary a lot depending on the type of computer, processors/video cards running etc.
Transient has some internal filtering of the USB supply, which offers very good performance. Adding the VDC-5 only makes it better, as it provides clean fast power. The quality of power is important for clock circuits, and also the analog section of the DAC, so it is best to use VDC-5 whether using Transient as a DAC or USD>S/PDIF converter.

How much difference you will hear can be subtle, and is also dependent on the rest of your system.

-Dusty

Ghostbuster70

« Reply #77 on: 6 Feb 2013, 06:54 pm »
Hi Dusty,

Thank you for you're explanation and quick reply, i will leave the power supply "on" then.

The DAC is also amazing for such a smal box, i use my Vincent S7 CD player as DAC (€2000), but when i switch between them i
couldn't tell you the differences :-)

Ghostbuster70

« Reply #78 on: 6 Feb 2013, 07:02 pm »
Btw. i use it with the JPLAY software, i'm really happy with the way my computer files sound now.

ramsubr

« Reply #79 on: 10 Feb 2013, 04:02 pm »
I second snoogly - it works great with EDO ont eh SBT.