Hypex Ncore?

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
Hypex Ncore?
« on: 19 Nov 2011, 12:05 am »
What, besides power, are differences in architecture between the three amps 500, 200, and 100W?

Will CIAudio employ the Hypex "Ncore" power amp technology announced by Bruno (of Hypex) at DIYAudio.com?

Which amps can be heard at 2012 CES (or THE Show)?  Room #?

Thanks!

CIAudio

Re: Hypex Ncore?
« Reply #1 on: 19 Nov 2011, 01:35 am »
Architecture of all three models are the same except D-500 MKII is a full bridge design where D-100B & 200 MKII are half bridge designs.

I don't know if we will design products using the Ncore models as they are not yet available.

We won't be exhibiting at CES but ESS Loudspeakers will be using all CIAudio electronics (including D-200 MKII's)... probably others but I don't have a list at this time.
« Last Edit: 19 Nov 2011, 04:12 pm by CIAudio »

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 19 Nov 2011, 02:30 am »
Thanks...What model ESS speaker will display? (Hopefully the flagship AMT1b or whatever they call it now.)   

How do you estimate the 100 will like/dislike the application described below?  (I'm sure the 200 or 500 is preferred.)   

Dual-pole line-level high-pass filters: 6 dB @ 2.2 kHz, 18 dB @ 80 Hz 
True 88 dB/1W/1M 
Flat 4-Ohms above 600 Hz 
Minimum 2.7-Ohms @ 200 Hz

Power handling 350+Wrms w/specified line-level filters   

Thanks!

CIAudio

« Reply #3 on: 19 Nov 2011, 02:39 am »
I'm sure they'll have AMT Limited Editions and LD-10LR's, maybe even some Transars.

The 100's will drive the 2.7 ohm load just fine. Not the best speaker design IMO as it sucks a lot of current.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 19 Nov 2011, 03:21 am »
It's two parallel monitors per channel in a Toole-specified ambiance array, each monitor 8 Ohms nominal/5.3 Ohms minimum.  Toole's ambiance array increases "sound intensity", which subjectively increases sensitivity above a normal monopole speaker with the same sensitivity spec. You could also describe increased sound intensity as a larger stage size and increased stage density. 

Six monitors employed (two monitors per channel) with Bongiorno's pure analog Trinaural processor, which further increases stage/image qualities and has 50% greater acoustic output vs. the stereo format.  Four distributed subs ala Geddes acoustically flatten modes (1kW amp, also LeJeune's Room Gain Complementary tuning) for ten speakers total.     

I'd employ 3x 100 mono blocks. 

Do the line-level filters minimize the current demands on the amp at the minimum load impedance?

CIAudio

« Reply #5 on: 19 Nov 2011, 04:08 am »
okay... now I get a better idea of what you're up to...

Should work well... each D100B can do 20A of current.

The best way is to use the input cap of the amp as 1 pole of your filter (.02uF=79.6hz into 100kohms), then use just a cap & inductor at the woofer, and a cap at the tweeter.

Our amps use a .68uF cap stock (2.3hz), we could change this for you for a small up-charge.
« Last Edit: 19 Nov 2011, 02:04 pm by CIAudio »

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 23 Nov 2011, 02:01 am »
Thanks Dusty.

I look forward to hearing them at THE Show powering the ESS speakers. 

CIAudio

« Reply #7 on: 16 Jul 2012, 02:32 pm »
We're now doing some testing with the NC1200 modules.

Comparing the Ncore demo amplifiers (built by Bruno) to our current D-200 & D-500 MKII models, they have many similarities. It will be awhile before we make any decisions for use in upcoming models, but we'll keep you posted.