$2000 Power amps to drive Maggies

OzarkTom

Re: $2000 Power amps to drive Maggies
« Reply #20 on: 4 Sep 2015, 02:56 am »
Moscode is a good choice, but don't overlook the Marashino's cherries amps. These are the best Class D amps that I have ever heard. They are almost impossible to find used ones, but check with the company and see if there are any demos that can be had.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #21 on: 4 Sep 2015, 04:16 am »
The AVA Synergy amps would be a good match.  Its a nice sounding amp.

electricbear

« Reply #22 on: 4 Sep 2015, 12:23 pm »
We have a lot of Maggie customers who wanted affordable power so we recently brought in Emotiva to fill the void. So far we have been very impressed with their bang per buck and their ability to drive maggies.

kylevuong19

« Reply #23 on: 4 Sep 2015, 12:35 pm »
Thanks all for your contribution, I have edited the listed above according to your opinions so people like me can easily use as a reference list.

Apparently I’m in Australia and as you know, hifi brands are very limited here. I can’t hardly find a Odyssey, Moscode or AVA for sale.

In Australia I can find the below in a suitable price:
Wyred 4 Sound ST 1000 power amp
Bel Canto Ref 500M
Parasound A21
Emotiva
Among these I would pick either Bel Canto or Wyred 4 Sound due to their high input impedance (80-100k Ohm) so they can match well with my Prima Luna preamp.

Anyone have any idea on the Wyred 4 Sound power amp?

Phil A

« Reply #24 on: 4 Sep 2015, 01:14 pm »
I use a Wyred monoblock amp to drive my center channel (Thiel MCS1, 4 ohms, 3 min) and have no issues. I heard their integrated amp in someone's system before I bought it

hrosenba

« Reply #25 on: 4 Sep 2015, 01:18 pm »
Hi,
While I have no long term experience with the Wyred 4 Sound amps (I have some venerable BEL 1001 mono blocks  :D), their room sounded VERY good/musical at the 2014 show in Newport Beach California. 
Harvey

Phil A

« Reply #26 on: 4 Sep 2015, 02:07 pm »
Thanks all for your contribution, I have edited the listed above according to your opinions so people like me can easily use as a reference list.

Apparently I’m in Australia and as you know, hifi brands are very limited here. I can’t hardly find a Odyssey, Moscode or AVA for sale.

Bel Canto Ref 500M
Parasound A21
Emotiva
Among these I would pick either Bel Canto or Wyred 4 Sound due to their high input impedance (80-100k Ohm) so they can match well with my Prima Luna preamp.

Remember that Odyssey is sold direct vs. via a dealer network.  Products like that generally come at a lower cost.  http://www.odysseyaudio.com/sales-international.html

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #27 on: 4 Sep 2015, 04:39 pm »
Go with the Bel Canto's.

firedog

« Reply #28 on: 4 Sep 2015, 08:54 pm »

Bel Canto Ref 500M
Parasound A21
Emotiva

AVA and Odysey - mostly sold direct. Go to the websites and give them a call/email. For Odyssey, call in their evening hours. At both places you can talk to the head honcho on the phone and get the straight dope. Tell them your needs and budget and they will give your their best offer. No hard sell. Both companies make great amps and try to make customers happy.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #29 on: 4 Sep 2015, 10:51 pm »
He would have to discuss shipping costs to Australia.

firedog

« Reply #30 on: 4 Sep 2015, 11:24 pm »
Yes, obviously. But I also don't live in the States and had one shipped to me.

Rocket

« Reply #31 on: 4 Sep 2015, 11:46 pm »
Hi,

The majority of the amplifiers which have been recommended are if available probably double the price in Australia.  Also second hand from the US isn't an option as their voltage 120 voltage, unless you can find someone to convert it to 240v50hz.  I've checked out Australian distributor for Wyred 4 Sound and they don't have a return policy either.  The aussie dollars is 70 cents to $1USD which is so low even compared to early 2015 making hifi purchases expensive.

I think your best options are to try odyssey or van alstine as they are direct and offer good value.  Although I had a khartago and found it a step back for my system.

Cheers Rod

Bemopti123

« Reply #32 on: 5 Sep 2015, 12:00 am »
The Bel Canto due to the power supply design, are compact and quite light ,thus saving shipping cost.  I have seen many Bel Canto owners flipping them due to upgrades etc...  Meaning they can be had quite affordably.  If you have not read about the shipping nightmares that many people face with heavy amplification, perhaps the Bel Cantos will solve that problem. 

Nevertheless, the biggest issue I find about these US Made recommendations is that you have no way of knowing how they might actually sound with your speakers.  So you are shooting blind with some personal recommendations. 

MickeyBoy

« Reply #33 on: 5 Sep 2015, 12:06 am »
Anyone with experience with the Benchmark ahb2, which has garnered quite a bit of very good press. 100 watts per channel, but able to be run bridged.

Bemopti123

« Reply #34 on: 5 Sep 2015, 01:24 am »
Have you looked into Red Dragon Audio?  Their new amps use the Pascal module.  Their other traditional offerings use Bang & Olufsen Ice boards.  They are in your ballpark. 

hifi12002

« Reply #35 on: 5 Sep 2015, 02:02 am »
In a word…. Odyssey. 

You’ll need to call Klaus directly to talk to him about your needs.  A couple of things to consider are the different voltage & connections.   For your budget, you may want to look at the Stratos stereo amplifier.  http://odysseyaudio.com/products-stratos-stereo.html

KLH007

« Reply #36 on: 7 Sep 2015, 12:37 am »
In 3 words, Klaus at Odyssey!

Lizard84

« Reply #37 on: 2 Oct 2015, 02:31 pm »
I think I'm going to go with the  D Sonic M3-1200S-A, 2 x 600w Price: $1,775.00, recommended to me by Magnestand mod master himself. According to him it has very deep lows, a tube like mid range and airy on top. It uses the ablatec module is used in the Swedish Marten M with sell for $45,000. He went on to say it's one of the best amps he's heard under 10 grand.

600 watts into 8 ohms, 1000 into 4

Sounds good to me!

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #38 on: 2 Oct 2015, 04:49 pm »
There's a 30 day return policy but you'll have to eat the 10% if you don't like them.
Let us know what you think.

jtsnead

« Reply #39 on: 2 Oct 2015, 07:09 pm »
I have the M3-800M driving Joseph Audio RM25XL speakers and love them. I have been
doing this audio thing for 35 years and know what sounds good. Good Luck!