Beginner Guitar Recs

sts9fan

Beginner Guitar Recs
« on: 5 May 2015, 01:15 pm »
I am looking for a easy playing beginner steel string acoustic guitar. I have a cheap Ibenez but I think I want something a bit nicer that I know is well built and not holding me back. I think I would like to keep it under $700. I know I need to go to the store and try some out but looking for a starting point.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Beginner Guitar Recs
« Reply #1 on: 5 May 2015, 01:58 pm »
I suppose Martin and Hohner are out of question, so try Epiphone or Ibanez if you like the neck.
I would look only fanned frets as Novak if possible.

Other nice model is the Burns Steer:
http://www.burnsguitars.com/steer.php
At the release date the price was around $500.

guf

« Reply #2 on: 5 May 2015, 04:18 pm »
I like the attitude of buying your second guitar first. 

steve in jersey

« Reply #3 on: 5 May 2015, 07:06 pm »
A starting point for an Acoustic , huh ?

First, let me compliment you for not trying to go too inexpensive ,as nothing kills most beginners interest quicker when trying to develop
some "musical chops" than trying to play an instrument that doesn't have enough semblance to be called musical ! Being new to this I
would suggest you don't automatically attempt to get a guitar with a super low action (string height) for easy playability, as this will
promote fretting laziness* & other bad habits that will hamper your ability to actually learn how to play. (*& poor tone production)

Google "Guitar Center" or "Sam Ash" for an idea of what's out there before you head out to a store ! Don't be afraid to take an instrument or two down from the wall to get a feel of it's weight & how the neck feels in your hands. Take your time, ask questions, just remember there are countless thousands of people who go through the same decision process.

Remember not to cheap out much below that $700 that you mentioned & what I've mentioned about string height ! Have fun & go
get that guitar ! (Check back to this thread with a few of the guitars you're considering & I'll venture an opinion or 2 on them)

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #4 on: 5 May 2015, 08:56 pm »
Seagull makes a decent, inexpensive guitar.  It's no high end Martin or anything but it'll do for a bit.

dmatt

« Reply #5 on: 5 May 2015, 10:29 pm »
How about the Taylor GS Mini?  It starts at $529 (I have the $800 Koa version).  Good playability (Taylor fans say it plays like a Taylor -- which is a good thing) and the smallish size makes it more likely you'll keep it handy for practice (also great for traveling).  I found it much easier to play than my wife's full size Yamaha that she bought as a beginning guitar.  The back and sides are laminate but I haven't felt the tone has suffered for it.
http://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/acoustic/series/gs-mini

GuitarCenter will have them to try out.

There is an unofficial taylor guitar forum with many postings by fans of this guitar for reference -- quite a few own more than one Mini:
http://www.unofficialtaylorguitarforum.com

With your budget, you'll have some left for a good hard case (the Mini comes with a very good gig bag) and Snark tuner if you need them.

Good luck, I was in the same boat last fall.

- David

doorman

« Reply #6 on: 5 May 2015, 10:43 pm »
There's also the Martin Dred Jr, Recording King, Cort, & Sigma, to name a few.
The above mentioned Taylor mini,  and Seagull are also contenders.
You really need to visit some stores, and get a feel for different body styles, neck profiles, scale lengths &c.
Play as many different guitars as you can, and make sure you play some of the more expensive models
just to compare.
Now is a great time to be looking, there's never been a greater selection of very nice but inexpensive instruments available.
Good Luck with your search.

tull skull

• I can't send hare in search of anything!
« Reply #7 on: 5 May 2015, 10:55 pm »
You might check out zagerguitar.com.

He uses cheaper guitars but really makes them sing. I love mine and it was modified from a washburn but plays and sounds very nice. Under $500 on ebey and I have had many people say how good the guitar sounds. Slam dunk warranty and satisfaction policy.

Just trying to give you more choices.

Delacroix

« Reply #8 on: 6 May 2015, 01:19 am »
Lots of good suggestions, especially to try a few else you might not fully appreciate the differences for your fingers and ears. Around $700 gets you some decent entry level acoustics, including the Martin RS1 which can be bought for $749 shipped. Also, don't rule out the various acoustic-electrics they offer for less, playing with amps can be fun too, depending on your tastes.  Since you have a basic Ibanez, I'd aim to go up market a bit, and few guitarists ever regret owning a Martin.

steve in jersey

« Reply #9 on: 6 May 2015, 03:51 am »
I would try to stay away from "Dreadnaught" size instruments as I really don't see the need for the extra bulk at this point . Any advantage you can gain in the amount of ease you will have in moving up & down the entire fretboard at this point is advisable. Too many
beginners never get much beyond becoming "Chord Strummers" as it takes less effort to attain this level with the instrument they're using!

I would second looking at what kind of offerings Taylor Guitars has to offer. If possible try to stay away from laminate sides & backs.
You should be able to find a Maple or Mahogany bodied instrument in your price range.

Crimson

« Reply #10 on: 6 May 2015, 10:55 am »
Washburn make a few in that price range and are quite comfortable. Try the WCG25SCE.

sts9fan

« Reply #11 on: 6 May 2015, 01:08 pm »
Thanks for all the replies guys!  I got lots to think about.  A friend recommended I check out Takamine.  Any thoughts on them or the Martin X series?

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #12 on: 6 May 2015, 01:39 pm »
Talk to your music teacher.  Most of them play in a band and knows someone including him/herself who can let go a good guitar.  Lots of musicians are like us in hording instruments.  There is always someone who can use the cash from selling an extra guitar. 

sts9fan

« Reply #13 on: 6 May 2015, 01:43 pm »
Good idea if I had a teacher!

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #14 on: 7 May 2015, 12:03 pm »
Thanks for all the replies guys!  I got lots to think about.  A friend recommended I check out Takamine.  Any thoughts on them or the Martin X series?
Takamine is a Jap luthier, when they were hand made and expensive it have a great sound.
Now its made at thousands overseas, maybe in China/Korea.

steve in jersey

« Reply #15 on: 7 May 2015, 02:55 pm »
I wasn't aware that "Quality" starter Acoustics had risen as much as they have appeared to have  :|

There is another way to look at this though; Just think of what you spend as more incentive to be inspired to play the instrument !

(& skootch the amount you were planning to spend up a bit ! ; get an instrument that has some tonality that stays with you after you've
picked it up & played it)

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #16 on: 13 May 2015, 12:22 am »
I forgot about the Martin Dred Jr - take a real good look at the Martins.
The cheaper Martins are made in Mexico and another good one, although made in China, is the Guild GAD series. 
I'd take the Martin but that's just me.