URLs of Internet Radio stations

Michael Graubart

URLs of Internet Radio stations
« on: 26 Feb 2015, 11:09 pm »
Most main BBC stations seem not to be accessible in Snowtape and some other applications, though they play perfectly well in iTunes. But I wonder if anyone can tell me how I can obtain the URLs of these stations (and others, too, perhaps). If, for instance, I am listening to a station in iTunes, is there some way of displaying its URL?

I use a Mac mini with Mountain Lion (OS 10.8.5).

Thank you in anticipation

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
Re: URLs of Internet Radio stations
« Reply #1 on: 27 Feb 2015, 04:07 pm »
Most main BBC stations seem not to be accessible in Snowtape and some other applications, though they play perfectly well in iTunes. But I wonder if anyone can tell me how I can obtain the URLs of these stations (and others, too, perhaps). If, for instance, I am listening to a station in iTunes, is there some way of displaying its URL?

I use a Mac mini with Mountain Lion (OS 10.8.5).

Thank you in anticipation

This help?
http://bbcstreams.com/

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 27 Feb 2015, 04:10 pm »
I usually go to shoutcast.com and click on the bit rate to sort the stations with the best bit rate

srb

« Reply #3 on: 27 Feb 2015, 05:13 pm »
If, for instance, I am listening to a station in iTunes, is there some way of displaying its URL?

To find the URL of a radio station in the iTunes Internet Radio pre-populated list (whether playing or not), just highlight the station and select File > Get Info to see the URL in the Location field.

Steve

dB Cooper

« Reply #4 on: 28 Feb 2015, 03:47 am »
Michael Graubart,
Firstly, welcome to the circles.

Don't know if you are listening to the BBC Radio 3 station. I too have never been able to get it to play properly in Snowtape for whatever reason. When they had their great nice 320K AAC stream, the imported url would report in Snowtape as 56K (!) WMA. They have recently dropped the 320K now topping out at an unimpressive 128K mp3, so for me it is adios, Beeb. KWAX-FM has a terrific 320K AAC stream which you can copy from their website.

For some reason, many websites seem to be coded in a way that makes the specific url difficult to extract. On iTunes, there is a station for the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra. Copying and pasting into other players as discussed earlier doesn't work. Most other stations I have tried work fine. I avoid itunes whenever possible as I consider it bloatware whose main purpose is to create revenue for Apple.

Regarding Snowtape specifically, a new version is in the early stages of development.

srb

« Reply #5 on: 28 Feb 2015, 04:08 am »
On iTunes, there is a station for the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra. Copying and pasting into other players as discussed earlier doesn't work.

Pasting the link for Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra from iTunes
http://rrr.sz.xlcdn.com/?account=RCOLiveWebradio&file=aac128&type=live&service=icecast&port=8000&output=m3u

works fine in JRiver Media Center and MediaMonkey, but not in foobar.  Foobar has always been a bit finicky for Internet URLs and won't play AAC streams either.

Here's another link for Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra
http://rrr.sz.xlcdn.com/?account=RCOLiveWebradio&file=mp3-192&type=live&service=icecast&port=8000&output=pls

which now works in Windows Media Player (the previous link didn't work) but still not in foobar.  Maybe this one will work in the player you're using.

Steve

dB Cooper

« Reply #6 on: 28 Feb 2015, 04:59 am »
Thank you srb. Interestingly, the first link is listed in itunes as 256K although the link contais the string 'aac128'. Seems there is a little experimentation required for some streams.

srb

« Reply #7 on: 28 Feb 2015, 05:12 am »
It's quite possible that the 128kbps AAC stream sounds better than the 192kbps MP3 stream.

Radio Swiss Jazz has a 96kbps AAC+ stream and a 128kbps MP3 stream.  They maintain the lower bit rate AAC+ stream is better sounding than the higher bit rate MP3 stream, and my own evaluation would seem to corroborate that (or at the very least, as good as).

Steve

mfsoa

« Reply #8 on: 28 Feb 2015, 04:34 pm »
I've been noticing that most if not all of my favorite internet radio stations have dropped their bit rates lately.

(from memory now) I listen to the AVRO Classical and Boroque stations a lot and they used to be 320 and 256K respectively and I don't think they are anymore.

My favorite internet station is the (excuse the spelling) Cesky Rohzlaus Jazz channel (amazing mix of outspending music) which used to be at 256 but is now 192 (I think). Also a rate drop for their classical station.

Whazzhappenen?

-Mike

dB Cooper

« Reply #9 on: 28 Feb 2015, 05:14 pm »
The confusing part is that the Concertgebouw link from iTunes sez 192 in external players but is 256 in itunes station list.

Wuzhappenin? One or more parties probably wants you to pay for a subscription service would be my guess.

In the meantime I will probably make a contribution to KWAX (our local DC classical station is nothing special).