Bryston BDP-2 - Performance?

alinto

Re: Bryston BDP-2 - Performance?
« Reply #80 on: 3 Dec 2016, 03:22 am »
I tried a corsair usb thumb drive vs a ssd and i could not really hear the difference. At times i thought the thumb drive sounded better. After going back and forth a few times on 4 different tracks, i could not determine that there was much of a difference in sound quality.

Mag

« Reply #81 on: 3 Dec 2016, 04:28 am »
How many beer was that?

Stereo sounds better in the evening than in the morning. I think that is due to body rhythm where the mind is at rest and relaxed after winding down after work. I usually take a short power nap, munchies beer in hand and blowing my nose to open up the ears, before I concentrate on listening.

Right before I have to shut 'er down for work the next day is when the stereo sounds best. :smoke:

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #82 on: 3 Dec 2016, 02:50 pm »
Zoom,

DarqueKnight had an extensive analysis of power cords on his system, includes BDP-1.
http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/164397/bryston-bdp-1-digital-player-first-impressions

You might wish to toy with cords next.

:dunno:

zoom25

« Reply #83 on: 3 Dec 2016, 07:47 pm »
Zoom,

DarqueKnight had an extensive analysis of power cords on his system, includes BDP-1.
http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/164397/bryston-bdp-1-digital-player-first-impressions

You might wish to toy with cords next.

:dunno:

Yes, I have read that page a few times over the months as I move on to different stages. At one point, I also tried isolating and mass loading, but in most situations, it ruined the sound. 1 step ahead for one thing, 2 steps back for another. When all the components are fairly fixed, then I will go for a proper rack.

But yes, power cables might are most probably next. I've never tinkered around with power cables, but can appreciate the difference when things are connected straight to the wall vs. cheap power extensions.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #84 on: 3 Dec 2016, 08:57 pm »

But yes, power cables might are most probably next. I've never tinkered around with power cables, but can appreciate the difference when things are connected straight to the wall vs. cheap power extensions.

A good inexpensive upgrade is this for your wall outlet feeding your power bar/cond.

http://www.hubbellcatalog.com/wiring/section-a-datasheet.asp?FAM=Straight_Blade&PN=HBL5362

zoom25

« Reply #85 on: 3 Dec 2016, 09:52 pm »

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted

zoom25

« Reply #87 on: 4 Dec 2016, 04:20 pm »
Power outlet mania/insanity:   :banghead: :scratch:

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0114/audiophile_ac_outlets.htm

I think I'll pick one based on the colour. :lol:

Thanks. Which one are you using btw? Did it work for you in getting any improvements?

(Feel free to state how you really feel...I think the sane people have already left this thread. No one's watching  :lol:)

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #88 on: 4 Dec 2016, 05:33 pm »
I think I'll pick one based on the colour. :lol:

Thanks. Which one are you using btw? Did it work for you in getting any improvements?

(Feel free to state how you really feel...I think the sane people have already left this thread. No one's watching  :lol:)

No, I'm still on this thread  :lol:

I use the Hubbell 5362. Good improvement over the cheap household stock receptacle. Seems to be less congestion on the dynamics of my system. Triton dipstributor plugged into that outlet with a 5.5-awg net C19 Clear Beyond pc. No urge for any further mods as far as power is concerned.

zoom25

« Reply #89 on: 4 Dec 2016, 07:31 pm »
No, I'm still on this thread  :lol:

I use the Hubbell 5362. Good improvement over the cheap household stock receptacle. Seems to be less congestion on the dynamics of my system. Triton dipstributor plugged into that outlet with a 5.5-awg net C19 Clear Beyond pc. No urge for any further mods as far as power is concerned.

Okay, will look into all of those. The nearfield rig is on the upper floor and connected to a 15 amp outlet, so will have to factor that in as well. Also, seeing an opportunity for quad outlets?

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #90 on: 4 Dec 2016, 08:35 pm »
Okay, will look into all of those. The nearfield rig is on the upper floor and connected to a 15 amp outlet, so will have to factor that in as well. Also, seeing an opportunity for quad outlets?

Try plugging your amps straight to wall. I prefer my Triton, but if you have a quad wall out, .....

zoom25

« Reply #91 on: 4 Dec 2016, 09:57 pm »
Try plugging your amps straight to wall. I prefer my Triton, but if you have a quad wall out, .....

Yeah, I have my amp and BDP-1 plugged in the wall to a duplex outlet. I'll take it all into consideration. I know for the main rig, I'm eventually getting dedicated 20 amp lines.

Right now, having a blast listening to the Cowboy Bebop 5 CD Box Set. The first CD is one of my absolute faves in both music style and recording quality. (I have nearly all of the Sound Liaison recordings for reference here, but the Cowboy Bebop just makes my rig sound super analog.) https://www.discogs.com/The-Seatbelts-Cowboy-Bebop-CD-Box/release/1998345

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #92 on: 4 Dec 2016, 10:55 pm »
Yeah, I have my amp and BDP-1 plugged in the wall to a duplex outlet. I'll take it all into consideration. I know for the main rig, I'm eventually getting dedicated 20 amp lines.

Right now, having a blast listening to the Cowboy Bebop 5 CD Box Set. The first CD is one of my absolute faves in both music style and recording quality. (I have nearly all of the Sound Liaison recordings for reference here, but the Cowboy Bebop just makes my rig sound super analog.) https://www.discogs.com/The-Seatbelts-Cowboy-Bebop-CD-Box/release/1998345

Ya know, don't get me wrong, but...the dedicated 20-A line thing....unless you listen to music loudly/have multiple setups sharing a power grid/live in a noisy enviro (apt complex?), I was never crazy about this. The benefits ymmv as usual, but I would try getting cleaner power with a quality distributor/conditioner. That will let you hear everything in your recordings, good or bad. just an opinion.

zoom25

« Reply #93 on: 5 Dec 2016, 07:10 pm »
Ya know, don't get me wrong, but...the dedicated 20-A line thing....unless you listen to music loudly/have multiple setups sharing a power grid/live in a noisy enviro (apt complex?), I was never crazy about this. The benefits ymmv as usual, but I would try getting cleaner power with a quality distributor/conditioner. That will let you hear everything in your recordings, good or bad. just an opinion.

The 20A line will only be for the main rig later on when I get the place fully built up. No hassle at all.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #94 on: 5 Dec 2016, 07:16 pm »
The 20A line will only be for the main rig later on when I get the place fully built up. No hassle at all.

:lol:

zoom25

« Reply #95 on: 5 Dec 2016, 07:19 pm »
On another note, I finally got the Grimm TPR and it works just fine as an AES cable from the BDP-1 to the DAC. The length of the cable is 2 feet (60 cm), which is shorter than the recommended 1.5m. Initially I tried one pair of TPR replacing the 2549 for analog run. Next I put another TPR on the digital input for AES. So adding TPR at stages.

The TPR definitely has a different feel than both of the Mogami 2549 and 3173 for analog. For digital, so far not hearing anything fatiguing or jittery that I would get with Mogami 2964 SPDIF cable at 2 feet length, which is the same length as the TPR. So it could be the difference between cable and/or simply AES vs. SPDIF connection. Just initial impressions. All the various Mogami cables have hundreds of hours on them, meanwhile the TPR is fresh out of the box.

The difference in presentation and vocals are definitely something else.

zoom25

« Reply #96 on: 13 Dec 2016, 10:14 pm »
James, any update on the drives?

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #97 on: 14 Dec 2016, 01:09 am »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #98 on: 14 Dec 2016, 01:20 am »
James, any update on the drives?

i got the drive - boy its built like a tank!!!

james

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #99 on: 14 Dec 2016, 01:33 am »
i got the drive - boy its built like a tank!!!

james

hopefully it won't sound like one...