?? Bud Fried Towers ??

Audiophile58

?? Bud Fried Towers ??
« on: 26 Sep 2016, 10:44 am »
Hello after exchanging several email s on several different forums . It seeems there is a very basic page
On the Bud Fried a Tower speakers . There was a nice review  then it seems it was just forgotten ?
What was or is the point ??  Why would you get a review ,and not follow it up with several more reviews especially if you are trying to promote a new product ?  I spoke with several people who possibly would be interested but the speaker does not even exist on the Salk page and you built the cabinet as well as tweaked
The Xover. I was overseas in the service for 30 months  and just recently heard them at Audio get together in NY. I thought very musical and a good buy.  It seeems this speaker has been discontinued almost as soon
As it started..that is no tribute to the Late Bud Fried.  Please bring me up to date . As to why no active promoting what so ever .it seems like a lot of effort wasted here. Please explain if you would please .

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: ?? Bud Fried Towers ??
« Reply #2 on: 26 Sep 2016, 11:05 am »
An MTM design IMO is no tribute to Bud (who believed strongly in the "expanding sound source" - tweeter mounted over midrange driver and midrange driver mounted over woofer).  Neither is blatant marketing of his name.  Frankly the only association I see between Salk and Fried is the use of transmission line cabinets, but of course in Bud's day they were designed by trial and error, not Martin King's MathCad application. 

martyo

« Reply #3 on: 26 Sep 2016, 11:31 am »
I remember one model that had the mid-range and tweeter BESIDE the woofer with a super tweeter above and between the tweeter and woofer. And another with the 3 drivers mounted diagonally..... :o

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #4 on: 26 Sep 2016, 03:31 pm »
I remember one model that had the mid-range and tweeter BESIDE the woofer with a super tweeter above and between the tweeter and woofer. And another with the 3 drivers mounted diagonally..... :o

Those were IMF designs, not his later work. 

jsalk

« Reply #5 on: 26 Sep 2016, 03:53 pm »
A couple of comments...

When Bud Fried died, a close personal friend purchased the company from Bud's wife and tried to keep the enterprise going.  But he was unable to do so.  At the same time, he didn't want his friend's endeavor to die either.  So he and an associate looked around for someone who was already building transmission line designs and could work with series crossovers.  They approached us and after months of discussing it, we agreed to work with them. 

In reality, we have spent a good deal of time, money and energy promoting the Bud Fried line.  Bud Fried sold through dealers and it was decided that we should do the same since there were a number of dealers who were interested in carrying the brand.  There are currently a few active dealers who order on a fairly regular basis. (If there is no dealer in your area, we can purchase them directly through www.friedaudio.com.) 

If you sell through dealers, you cannot sell direct (without compensating the dealer in whose territory the speaker was sold).  You would be competing with your dealers.  So we can't promote the Bud Fried line on our web site.  It must be run as a separate entity. What's more, even if we could, we wouldn't.  That would be unfair to our partners as someone who came to the site looking for Bud Fried speakers might end up purchasing one of our models instead.

There have been many technical advances since the days when Bud developed his very successful models.  And no one can know how Bud would go about developing new models today.  We tried to keep as close to what we thought Bud would do, but in those cases where better options existed, we thought he would probably decide to go with the better option.  For example, we modeled a traditional tapered TL line (as Bud would have used) and also modeled an MLQWT design (that Bud would not have been aware of).  When the latter modeled better, we went in that direction.  But in areas like serial crossovers, we tried to remain true to what Bud would have done.

Dick Olsher of The Absolute Sound, as I recall, was a close personal friend of Bud's and reviewed a number of his speakers over the years.  Dick also authored a very positive review of the Bud Fried Towers we designed.  While some might quibble with some of the design decisions we made, Dick found no fault with them.  I think that says all that needs to be said.

- Jim

bummrush

« Reply #6 on: 26 Sep 2016, 03:55 pm »
I wonder if anyone this project,thought about Phil Clements? ????

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #7 on: 30 Sep 2016, 05:22 am »
Those were IMF designs, not his later work.

The only input Bud had in the IMFs were his initials.

dave

Rocket

« Reply #8 on: 30 Sep 2016, 10:21 am »
Hi Guys,

Well I had a look at the website and thought it was pretty good and certainly not that basic.  You know its pretty hard to be in business on the internet with so many negative people out there making off the cuff remarks.

Good luck with the new endeavour and I hope it goes well.

Cheers Rod