What Digital Audio Players (DAP) are you using to play your hirez music files?

leftside

I'm currently using an iPhone 6 with the Capriccio audio player to play flac files, but I'll soon want to be playing some SACD iso files. Two players that have my interest are the following:

- Cayin N6
- Hifiman HM901S

What do other people use/recommend?

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
from Cayin's hyperbolic website:

http://cdn.head-fi.org/e/ef/500x1000px-LL-eff1d646_5.jpeg

What the heck is a DSD128 ISO?

Additionally, real ISOs (from SACDs, which are DSD64 based, hence my question about the website's validity of anything) average about 3.5GB and contain both stereo and multichannel (albeit DST compressed) content (if available, of course).  It seems a waste of valuable portable space to store ISOs for portable stereo-only playback.  But with up to a 128GB micro-SD I guess you could store 35-40 of them.  Their DSF (fully tagged) stereo counterparts are half that and thus could store twice as many and not ask the DAP to do the heavy lifting of both carrying extra content for no reason, plus having to do ISO extraction.  My $.02

leftside

The Cayin seems to be getting good reviews on headfi, but it's probably prudent to wait awhile for more reviews.

Interesting times in the DAP space right now. These things could help drive hirez/DSD adoption - especially once we see these devices approach 1TB storage capacity - which they will.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
I am using Fiio X-5.  I am not a big headphone guy but this thing is great for exercise.   I understand it's not playing DSD natively but all good hirez files sound good.  256 GB is more than enough to play 6 hours if need be.  It absolutely beats Ipod touch which has been given to my daughter for good.  I am on their 2.4 firmware and most things work great.  I still have some DFF files that won't get recognized but I got more than enough that works to make an awesome workout music set up.  I am using it with Westone W40 and Fiio e12 amp.  It's the best I ever had for running.

leftside

The Filo you mention also gets good reviews. I'm looking forward to the reviews on the upcoming 7.

My primary use for a DAP will be for "on the go", such as in the gym or in the office.

leftside

Point noted Ted in regard to DSF files.