Pez and Tyson's Best of RMAF- the ultimate guide to awesomeness.

Pez

Can we see a picture of the room treatments?

Sorry I didn't get any more pics of the treatment, but if you look at the Odyssey room pics I took you'll see that they had the new scopus traps, diffusors, and the soffit bass traps. In the rear I remember seeing basic monster traps and quite honestly I forget beyond that...  :duh:

woofersus

• Industry Participant
  • Authorized Dealer: Melody & Angel City Audio
    • East Street Audio
I am not so sure RMAF is bigger than CES (high end audio only) plus T.H.E. Show.  Last year between the CES high end audio at the Venetian and T.H.E. Show at the Flamingo I counted over 240 suites or rooms.  That is base upon show literature showing the floor plans.

Many suites at the Venetian had more than one system set up.  Definitely not ideal conditions but overwhelming in the amount of equipment present.

There is a lot of overlap between RMAF and CES/T.H.E. Show but there also quite a few vendors who only exhibit at one event.  The focus of the shows is quite different with regards to target audience.

That's interesting.  I've done both and definitely got the impression that RMAF was bigger. (high performance audio only - and not the stuff on the main convention floor like car audio companies, Low end best buy type stuff, and companies that don't actually sell gear like DTS)  I'll have to pay more attention to the room/exhibitor count this year.

One thing I'll say though, is RMAF is for sure more convenient and much friendlier.  CES is an industry show, so it's a lot of dealers and distributors doing business and it doesn't cater to consumers, who aren't technically even supposed to attend.  RMAF is all in one building and it's all about the potential customers. (and the press, I suppose)  If I had to pick one I'd take RMAF every time in a heartbeat, both as an exhibitor and attendee.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
I am not so sure RMAF is bigger than CES (high end audio only) plus T.H.E. Show.  Last year between the CES high end audio at the Venetian and T.H.E. Show at the Flamingo I counted over 240 suites or rooms.  That is base upon show literature showing the floor plans.

Many suites at the Venetian had more than one system set up.  Definitely not ideal conditions but overwhelming in the amount of equipment present.

There is a lot of overlap between RMAF and CES/T.H.E. Show but there also quite a few vendors who only exhibit at one event.  The focus of the shows is quite different with regards to target audience.

I guess you might be right about the size.  I guess I wasn't counting all the pieces parts.  Close, either way.  And although CES is technically a dealer/industry show the feel of the Venetian rooms is very similar to RMAF IMO.

AlexG

• Industry Participant
Sorry I didn't get any more pics of the treatment, but if you look at the Odyssey room pics I took you'll see that they had the new scopus traps, diffusors, and the soffit bass traps. In the rear I remember seeing basic monster traps and quite honestly I forget beyond that...  :duh:

Below are a couple pictures showing some of the room treatments used at the show (a couple more not seen). The GIK forum has the complete list with specs.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
Of course I'm happy to be on your Best of list, but I just wanted to say thanks to the both of you for the service you're providing to the community here with coverage.  I know what you're doing it a lot of work, and certainly in ways takes the fun out of the show for you.  But hopefully you won't get burned out on doing it, and will continue for years.  We truly do appreciate it! 

I also have a feeling that you're putting the pressure on the other reviews sites out there to step up their game in show coverage.  How you do it really puts them all to shame.  And forcing them to do a better job again will benefit us all.

drumiha

Of course I'm happy to be on your Best of list, but I just wanted to say thanks to the both of you for the service you're providing to the community here with coverage.  I know what you're doing it a lot of work, and certainly in ways takes the fun out of the show for you.  But hopefully you won't get burned out on doing it, and will continue for years.  We truly do appreciate it! 

I also have a feeling that you're putting the pressure on the other reviews sites out there to step up their game in show coverage.  How you do it really puts them all to shame.  And forcing them to do a better job again will benefit us all.

TRUE THAT !  :D

+A BIG thanks to Pez and Tyson for the coverage !!   
       And congrats  TurboFC3S (Ryan from Vapor Sound) for having two of the best rooms at RMAF2012 !! 

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Ryan,
Thanks for the kind words, and it was great to meet you. 

We actually got a tentative feeler (not quite a job offer) to write for one of the mags.  We politely declined.  As soon as money is involved, everything goes to shit.  So we are just going to keep doing what we are doing.  It's a lot of work but we love doing it.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions

The panels in the rear of the room are the same size as the Monsters but are our new FRL panels.  They are a damped membrane design.  They're not on our website yet. Basically, the perform a bit lower and better than the Monster but cut off at 300Hz so as not to overdeaden a space and allowing us to use more of them.  They fall in coverage range between the broadband and the Scopus.  They run $149 each.  There will also be a corner version similar to the Tri Trap but a larger triangular footprint and 2' tall and stackable.  Price TBD on those.

Thanks again to Tyson and Pez for a great job.  It's gotta be exhausting.

Bryan

TONEPUB

Ryan,
Thanks for the kind words, and it was great to meet you. 

We actually got a tentative feeler (not quite a job offer) to write for one of the mags.  We politely declined.  As soon as money is involved, everything goes to shit.  So we are just going to keep doing what we are doing.  It's a lot of work but we love doing it.

Too bad, I was going to offer you guys a job too!

Either way, great work, great coverage and good photos.  I'll be sure to put a link here on our FB page and direct some traffic your way.  Next year, look me up, I'll be happy to buy you guys a few beers!

wisnon

Tyson and Pez, when are you going to do this show? LoL

HIGH END SWISS 2012
Date:   October 19th to 21st 2012 – Friday to Sunday
Opening hours:   
Friday from 10am to 6pm    Import to calendar
Saturday from 10am to 6pm    Import to calendar
Sunday from 10am to 4pm    Import to calendar
Entry fee:   10,00 CHF per day
Trade visitor badge:   10,00 CHF, valid for all days only with pre-registration
Show Guide:   Available up from October 2012
For more Information please call:
Tel.: +49 (202) 70 20 22 - Fax.: +49 (202) 70 37 00
or by mail

Brands: http://www.highendsociety.de/index.php/brand_names.html

Tyson

Too bad, I was going to offer you guys a job too!

Either way, great work, great coverage and good photos.  I'll be sure to put a link here on our FB page and direct some traffic your way.  Next year, look me up, I'll be happy to buy you guys a few beers!

Appreciate the offer, I really do.  But it's not just the $$.  As long as it's just me and Jason doing it on our own, we can say "that rocked" or "that sucked", make bad jokes (sometimes at other people's expense, but usually directed at ourselves) without any fear that we are helping or harming anyone, after all we are just 2 guys and we don't even agree with each other most of the time.  On the other hand, if we were working for a magazine (any magazine), then our words would have much more of a stamp of authority and thus more power and thus more ability to help or hurt people.

I like helping people.  I don't like hurting people.  So staying independent and just being "a couple of dudes having fun" lets me keep the ability to state my opinions without varnish and not worry too much if someone is gonna take what I say as gospel.  Particularly since Jason is usually right there with me saying I'm full of shit :P

SET Man

Hey!

Pez, Tyson, you two make a good team covering the show, with commentaries and good photos. :D

Looking through these make me wish I was at the show.

Take care,
Buddy  :thumb:

Pez

Like Siskel and Ebert, Abbott and Costello, Kirk and Spock... Well actually If I were both Kirk and Spock and Tyson was just one of the red shirts on the away team.  :thumb:

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
Like Siskel and Ebert, Abbott and Costello, Kirk and Spock... Well actually If I were both Kirk and Spock and Tyson was just one of the red shirts on the away team.  :thumb:

Abbott and Costello,,,, that'll work.  :jester:

Tyson

Gene Kelly and Fred Astaire.

TONEPUB

Appreciate the offer, I really do.  But it's not just the $$.  As long as it's just me and Jason doing it on our own, we can say "that rocked" or "that sucked", make bad jokes (sometimes at other people's expense, but usually directed at ourselves) without any fear that we are helping or harming anyone, after all we are just 2 guys and we don't even agree with each other most of the time.  On the other hand, if we were working for a magazine (any magazine), then our words would have much more of a stamp of authority and thus more power and thus more ability to help or hurt people.

I like helping people.  I don't like hurting people.  So staying independent and just being "a couple of dudes having fun" lets me keep the ability to state my opinions without varnish and not worry too much if someone is gonna take what I say as gospel.  Particularly since Jason is usually right there with me saying I'm full of shit :P

Understood.  But seriously, it's all about personal preference, so I don't see the harm in what you guys are doing, even when you think something sucks.  I've heard so many of these components at many shows; sometimes they sound awesome, sometimes they sound terrible.  I guess I often see the shows as more of a measure of a manufacturer's ability to set a system up than how their stuff necessarily sounds!

Keep up the good work!

low.pfile

Just a big thanks to you both.

Daedalus Audio

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.daedalusaudio.com
good work guys, I really appreciate what you do. even though I often disagree, your fresh perspective is helpful as well as entertaining.

sounddog

Let me add my thanks to Tyson and Pez for their extensive coverage. This was my first RMAF and I was able to use some of your comments to lead me to exhibitors I might not otherwise have heard (but I am bummed out that I didn't get to all the rooms you praised). I agree with many of your top picks (and always found your comments thoughtful), but would add the Nola KO, Wisdom, TAD, Coincident, Tocaro and Vandersteen 7 (although I'm not fond of Vandersteen's lower-level speakers) to the list. And, of course, I'm partial to Salks, owning a pair of HT2s myself.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel