Biamping with an RM9

Scottdazzle

Biamping with an RM9
« on: 20 May 2008, 07:53 pm »
I'm starting a new thread that follows two on the EM7 from last year.  On July 15, 2007 you made an interesting and persuasive case for biamping but not using the amps full-range.  I recently bought a pair of speakers with bi-amping potential (VMPS RM30M) and own two amps (your RM9 and an Odyssey Stratos).  I am intrigued with the possibility of using the RM9 for 280Hz and up, and the Odyssey for 280Hz and below. 

Are there any crossovers or other options you would recommend?

Scott

p.s. I do plan to send the RM9 for the tuneup we corresponded about.

Roger A. Modjeski

Re: Biamping with an RM9
« Reply #1 on: 21 May 2008, 05:11 am »
I have the RM-3 crossover. It will do what you need.

Scottdazzle

« Reply #2 on: 21 May 2008, 02:12 pm »
After you get caught up with your backlog will you post or send me some information about the RM-3 please?  I can't find anything about it online. Thanks again.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #3 on: 21 May 2008, 02:21 pm »
Scott,

I will bring a crossover with me to test biamping.  You may have to unsolder the coils in the speaker to do it properly if you really want active biamping.  It not that hard to do and you can solder it back after we try biamping. 

Scottdazzle

« Reply #4 on: 21 May 2008, 03:20 pm »
Woodsyi, that sounds great except for voiding the warranty on my speakers!  :wink:  If the crossover can be set to 280Hz no tampering should be necessary - that's the crossover point in the speaker's passive xo anyway.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 21 May 2008, 03:24 pm »
Scott,

Big B. usually OKs field mods without voiding warranty.  You can PM him for assurance.  In the mean time, we can try double filtering to get a sense of what biamping offers.   

woodsyi

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 21 May 2008, 04:21 pm »
I just remembered I have a passive attenuator some where in the house.  We can level match with that on top for passive biamping.  I didn't like that it killed the joy of tubes on top which led me to active biamping.

Scottdazzle

« Reply #7 on: 21 May 2008, 05:25 pm »
Good. I was curious about passive attenuation of the "louder" amp anyway. I'm really curious about the RM-3 Roger mentioned.