My Capacitor comparisons: Mundorfs, VCap, Sonicap Platinum, Auricap, etc

tanchiro58

Compared to silver/oil, Epcos had a bit more richness to voices and even more apparent smoothness in the upper-midrange region, but it conceded some sheer resolution and attack.  Silver/oil sounded more like a “modern” film capacitor while Epcos leaned more in the direction of paper-in-oil caps without overt darkness or lack of resolution.  I was especially glad to observe Epcos not to possess overly rounded or slow bass like some paper-in-oils can.

The Epcos, not surprisingly, sounds VERY much like the Siemens MKV polypropylene in oil capacitor I described earlier.  Both sound balanced, if not extraordinarily extended or obviously “airy” up top.  Human voices have fluidity, richness, and sparkling liveliness that’s so endearing.  If you are a die-hard Teflon or polystyrene fan, you will likely call these poly oil caps a bit slower and not as lit-up, but the fans of the poly oils will call it the opposite.

I just got a Teac Tripath amp with Epcos caps. It is sounding extremely better than other caps in oil and metalized polypropylene just like JonL described.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
Hi Jon.....and others.
 To my knowledge, the Penta Caps are still manufactured by Custom Capacitors Electronics here in New York   http://www.customelec.com/.

The capacitors I still have here still have the original "Custom Capacitors" logo on them. They were some original beta samples. I could be wrong but maybe they are OEM manufacturing them.

My first experience with them was a customer that spoke with the company and had some sent to me (with the Penta name on them) to be installed into a custom tube headphone preamplifier modification. If I remember correctly, they were .22uF and used in the coupling positions. The customer was very happy with the results.

Jon L

double post

Jon L

Hi Jon.....and others.
 To my knowledge, the Penta Caps are still manufactured by Custom Capacitors Electronics here in New York   http://www.customelec.com/.

The capacitors I still have here still have the original "Custom Capacitors" logo on them. They were some original beta samples. I could be wrong but maybe they are OEM manufacturing them.

My first experience with them was a customer that spoke with the company and had some sent to me (with the Penta name on them) to be installed into a custom tube headphone preamplifier modification. If I remember correctly, they were .22uF and used in the coupling positions. The customer was very happy with the results.

Thanks for the info.  Judging from the materials on their website, Penata teflon uses tetrafluoroethylene (TFE) film and aluminum foil, which makes perfect sense since I seem to notice a consistent sonic pattern with aluminum foil teflon caps and tin foil teflon caps, like VH Teflons.  Based on that, Aura-T teflons I am currently listening to probably is tin foil...

Jon L

Audience Aura-T Teflon Capacitor

Oh, boy, does this ever stop?  It was almost easier back in the day when you basically had only one Teflon capacitor to choose from, the Relcap TFT Teflon capacitor, which is a fine capacitor.  Having lived with many different Teflon capacitors, I get the impression that roughly 2 general “flavors” exist among the Teflon capacitors available today.  One I would call “electrostat flavor” and the other “cone flavor” because the former group reminds me of a great electrostat speaker while the latter reminds me of a great dynamic cone speaker.  Formerly, only the VH Teflon belonged to the electrostat flavor while the Russian K72, FT3, Sonicap Platinum, and Penta Labs belonged to the cone flavor. 

Well, now the Aura-T joins the VH Teflon in the electrostat flavor.  These caps set themselves apart from the others by having an almost impossibly ethereal, pure, and extended top-end with endless decay like only a good electrostat can.  Sound has a see-through transparency and zero veil, and there’s not a spec of dirt, grime, grit on that window.  It’s possible some people’s tastes may prefer a less see-through, more tactile density like a good dynamic speaker can provide, but there’s no question the ‘stat camp resolves more information.

The cone flavor Teflon caps have a more forward midrange presentation compared to mid-hall perspective of VH and Aura-T.  Some would call them “too forward,” but this combined with less-see-through boldness can make for some *very* involving musical fun.  No, these don’t have as much forever-decaying, absolutly feather-sweet extension and elegance, but in the right setup and personal tastes, I can’t blame you if you said you preferred this school of sound. 

Now, somebody must be wondering, “so which is better, VH or Aura-T?”  First of all, I am already using the most-resolving transducer I know of (HE audio ‘stat) half an inch away from my ears to get rid of any room interactions that will muddy up evaluations using speakers.  Even then, I would not bet any of my hard-earned money on reliably telling them apart most of the time. 

If somebody had a gun to my head, I *might* mutter Aura-T may possibly have a thin hair’s worth more sparkle and VH Teflon may have gnat’s fart’s worth more midrange warmth.  I’m sure to some people that hair and fart will be a big deal in their preferences, but please don’t be using language like A “blows away” B.  Really...
« Last Edit: 19 Aug 2008, 06:17 am by Jon L »

serengetiplains

Penta Caps
« Reply #125 on: 18 Jul 2008, 09:24 pm »
Jon, the Penta Caps are, as noted, manufactured by Custom Electronics in Oneata, NY.  The caps I sent you were tin foil plate caps + then best quality teflon ("shaved" according to CustElec).

Custom Electronics bought Component Research Corporation goods sold on the latter's bankruptcy.  These goods included teflon winding machines etc. which, for their part, augmented Custom Electronics' teflon cap manufacturing facilities.  Just some useless information for you.   :roll:

Jon L

Re: Penta Caps
« Reply #126 on: 18 Jul 2008, 10:05 pm »
Jon, the Penta Caps are, as noted, manufactured by Custom Electronics in Oneata, NY.  The caps I sent you were tin foil plate caps + then best quality teflon ("shaved" according to CustElec).

Custom Electronics bought Component Research Corporation goods sold on the latter's bankruptcy.  These goods included teflon winding machines etc. which, for their part, augmented Custom Electronics' teflon cap manufacturing facilities.  Just some useless information for you.   :roll:

Interesting.  How does one go about buying some of these caps?

serengetiplains

I was dealing with Michael Schulte.  His email is:

mschulte(at)email.customelec.com

A different email address is listed for him on the contacts page for CEI:

http://www.customelec.com/contacts.htm

Their capacitors are expensive, though no more, IIRC, than V-Caps or Auras.

Jon L

Russian SSG-3 silver mica capacitor

These 1% tolerance silver mica capacitors are another example of overbuilt, tank-like Russian new-old-stock capacitors.  The big ones like these can have more than 0.1uF capacitance fit for use in coupling duties, and indeed they are an excellent capacitor.  These sound different from other capacitors such as polypropylens, polystyrenes, teflons, PIO’s, etc in that they don’t have the stereotypical polypropylene harshness, polystyrene dryness, Teflon slippery polish, or PIO roundness.  Silver mica’s have a reputation for being very detailed but “bright” and lacking in bass, but these large silver mica’s had plenty of bass and NO hardness at all.  Their tonal balance cannot ever be called dark because they are very airy and illuminated as if with soft white light bulbs; these are perfect for those who like open, airy top-end that’s not extra-hard or etched, perfect for recordings that have spitty, hard upper ranges.  They have an effect akin to turning up the “brightness” control a notch while turning down the “contrast” a notch in terms of video displays. 

These have such feathery, extended highs that almost makes Mundorf gold/silver seem a bit less open up top.  Not bad for a $5 capacitor, so what’s the caveat?  Unfortunately for the SSG-3, I’ve been listening to some of the best Teflon capacitors of late, and compared to the good teflons, the silver mica’s don’t quite have the stop-dead-in-your tracks resolution and definition, especially in the midrange.  Compared to teflons, SSG-3 is a tad more laid-back and softer in the midrange, and the bass, while impactful, is not quite bounce-rain-off-the-drumskin tight.  Still, I can see a lot of people being quite happy with these silver mica’s, especially if used in equipment that leans in opposite sonic directions or if your tastes cotton to the open, airy, feathery, smooth sound.
« Last Edit: 19 Aug 2008, 06:17 am by Jon L »

twystd

Jon

Glad you liked these things, I think they're about the best bang for the buck in the audiophool world. I usually don't use cap coupling, as I prefer either direct or transformer coupling, but when I do, these have become my cap of choice. I can't justify the bucks for the high dollar teflons, besides, I find topology and implementation way more important. Don't even get me started on power supplies!;^) I think the time, effort, and objectivity you put into this is a real service to the DIY community, as the Aussies say, Good on ya mate!

twystd :thumb: 

randytsuch

Hi Jon
Not sure if you know about this, so I thought I would share it.

I was searching for more info on those big Mica's, and I came across this thread
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=953144#post953144

Google can do a rough translation to the linked page, but the guy basically skinned a Russian Teflon cap.

If you keep reading the thread, there is more infomation about skinning Russian caps. 

Since I have some from Ebay, I am going to have to try this sometime when I get a chance.

Randy

Jon L

Hi Jon
Not sure if you know about this, so I thought I would share it.

I was searching for more info on those big Mica's, and I came across this thread
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=953144#post953144

Google can do a rough translation to the linked page, but the guy basically skinned a Russian Teflon cap.

If you keep reading the thread, there is more infomation about skinning Russian caps. 

Since I have some from Ebay, I am going to have to try this sometime when I get a chance.

Randy

Oh, there are lots of different things you can do to the Russian caps.  The true limiting factor is going to be the size of the things, so make sure you measure out the room you have before ordering.  For example, the 0.1uF K72 teflons are truly ginormous for a 0.1uF cap. 

Another nice cap is the Dynamicap-E (for "electronics"), which I'm currently comparing to others...

undertow

Audio Note Copper? Duelund VSF anybody? Yes these are getting into the ridiculous price range even beyond some here, however very curious as to how these will perform, I have seen much on how duelund is possibly the superior loudspeaker caps, better be for the money, however will they work in low voltage applications electronics just as well?

Also the audio note, copper version, how about these vs. Mundorf SIO or S/GO?And vs. the duelunds for that matter? Currently using sonicaps as a bypass on Jantzen superior caps.. Killer stack, better than Mundorf SIO I was originally using, just a tad faster, less distortion, much stronger bass... Whos got the goods on these 2 other exotic caps I speak?

Needed for Preamp output caps, and possibly Horn tweeter crossover cap... I might go with AN Cu caps(audio note) on the preamp, and Duelund for the horn ....But really have very little info on either accept when they do come up seem to take the cake even over the top 2 always mentioned, mundorf & VH

I realize application will vary, but these gotta be great caps, just not sure if they will be the best in the positions I chose.. By the way the main thing I am not too keen on going teflon again is they do have some difficulty with a not so good recording, and also do always have a pretty brick wall effect in really making things very in your face..... But the sonicaps are not noticed in current application as they have a very small part in a single bypass cap, works wonder for speed and powerful bass, I am just looking to go into a single cap that will do it all the same or slightly better.

Thanks

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
Most audio devices have more than one pole point (input, feedback, output, etc) often set by capacitor values.

Good design requires that the pole points do not overlap as this can cause instability.

Random changing in capacitor values will change the relationship of pole points in the amp or preamp.  They will drive pole points closer together (bad) or further apart (good).  Its kind of like throwing rocks into a calm pond.  The ripples will do strange things, even occasionally creating "rouge waves".

Not tracking values when doing capacitor construction listening tests overlooks significant audio effects caused by the changing of values and pole points, which may actually swamp any other characteristics.

I would feel much more comfortable with capacitor listening tests if the parts substituted were matched to at least 1 percent in value.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

Jon L

Dynamicap-E metalized polypropylene capacitor

Some believe these to be among the best metalized polypropylene caps ever made, and I might have to agree with that, if somewhat reluctantly.  After all, Mundorf silver/oil and gold/silver are still technically “metalized poly” caps, and they do have a magical something that other poly caps lack, including Dynamicaps.  As I have observed before with Vishay poly caps, the Mundorfs have a sense of weight and texture behind the notes, especially in the midrange that keeps music interesting and captivating over longer-term listening.  The better poly caps sound balanced, detailed (though not Teflon-detailed), and all the notes are present and accounted for.  This is true for Dynamicap as well, and it does one better by being probably the most neutrally balanced among the poly caps.  I even dare say it sounds more neutral than something like Mundorf gold/silver or the Russian silver mica’s, so here we have a reasonably affordable capacitor that is quite uncolored, clear, sweet, yet extended.  No wonder companies like Alta Vista Audio is using these caps in Counterpoint gear upgrades, not to mention VMPS offering them as upgrades in their speaker crossovers. 

What about Auricaps?  This is a tough one.  One’s preferences will have a large part in this choice.  Auricaps have a fuller low-midrange to upper-bass presentation compared to Dynamicaps, which makes music richer and more propulsive; they also emulate some of that midrange texturing of Mundorfs.  Dynamicaps counter with subjectively more ruler-flat neutrality with less bloom and thickness, sounding cleaner and clearer.  I would say consider the way your system sounds now and which direction you want to go before choosing one over the other. 
« Last Edit: 19 Aug 2008, 06:18 am by Jon L »

Helge Gundersen

Jon,

Would you still say the Mundorf silver/gold and the EI output tubes is the best combination in your Almarro A202A MkII?

Jon L

Jon,

Would you still say the Mundorf silver/gold and the EI output tubes is the best combination in your Almarro A202A MkII?

It's one of the best combinations, but there are many other combo's that are as good or better.  Actually, the bone stock Almarro with stock tubes is darn great, too. 

Helge Gundersen

Yes, I know. I use the A205A MkII as a headphone amp with AKG 701s (the Almarro is for service now, probably in Japan, as long as it takes). I got hold of a bunch of EI EL84's and thought of changing the capacitor to improve the sound even further, so it's a matter of choosing the potentially best cap (for me).

Jon L

Yes, I know. I use the A205A MkII as a headphone amp with AKG 701s (the Almarro is for service now, probably in Japan, as long as it takes). I got hold of a bunch of EI EL84's and thought of changing the capacitor to improve the sound even further, so it's a matter of choosing the potentially best cap (for me).

I just sold my AKG K701, K340, K1000 b/c as great as they were, great electrostat headphones driven via Almarro (via SRD7 MkII adapter) are simply on a totally different planet.  'Stats really lets you hear the minuscule differences between caps, tubes, cables, etc.  Most caps, tubes sounded good-enough via traditional headphones, but with 'stats, the real strengths of tubes like Sylvania 5751 triple mica black plates (for 12AX7 sub) on the Almarro come straight through..

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
    • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
Jon
Wow!  Look at the "Read" counter upper right!  It's truly great to read the fruit of your labor.  Hard to believe such work is published free.  Thanks also to John the site administrator for bringing it to us all.   

Have to agree w/ your observations about the Auricaps vs. TRT Dynamicaps; I heard exactly the same as you. 

I don't know the country of origin for the Mundorf, but Americans may take solace that (as far as I know) the TRT Dynamicaps are still made here in the good ole USA by Peter Moncreiff of Tomorrow's Research Today.