Creating multiple user profiles

srb

Re: Creating multiple user profiles
« Reply #20 on: 28 Aug 2016, 09:57 pm »
You will need to enter the command net user Administrator /active:yes at an elevated command prompt.  Click Start, type in cmd, then when it finds Command Prompt right-click and choose Run as Administrator.  You will be prompted for username (Administrator) and password (blank), UNLESS the User Account Control has been set to Never Notify, and assuming the Administrator account still has a blank password.

Then restart and log in as Administrator with no password.  If you're successful, you can go to Start > Computer Management > Local Users and Groups (Windows Pro only) and reset the password on your other account as well as putting in a password for the Administrator account.

Then you can hide the Administrator account, this time with the "no" option

net user Administrator /active:no

Steve

soundofrockets

« Reply #21 on: 28 Aug 2016, 10:04 pm »
When I click start and type cmd in the search bar, nothing happens.  When I right click the search bar with cmd in it I get options of either undo or select all.

srb

« Reply #22 on: 28 Aug 2016, 10:15 pm »
Then in the program list, go to Windows System, expand that then right-click on Command Pompt > More > run as Administrator .....

WGH

« Reply #23 on: 28 Aug 2016, 10:20 pm »
Steve and I will eventually meet you at the same place.

In the last year you are probably one of the few people that needed to go into Windows 10 Safe Mode, it's like an alternate universe, some things work, some don't.

Does File Explorer work?

navigate to C drive
then Windows/System32
scroll down to cmd.exe
right click
run as administrator
type in: net user Administrator /active:yes
press Enter

soundofrockets

« Reply #24 on: 28 Aug 2016, 10:21 pm »
so not sure what or how i did.  i right clicked on my user name.  requested change in password. and i was allowed to change to new password.  it did ask for old password which i typed and i was able to create a new password.  and i restarted the computer and got in with the new password.  i have full access to my files and internet.  in fact this post is from the computer - previous ones were from my ipad.  i am creating recovery thumb drive as i type this response.  does that mean its all good now !!!  if yes - greatly appreciate all your input and help. 

WGH

« Reply #25 on: 28 Aug 2016, 10:26 pm »
Great! Have you ever considered a job in IT?

soundofrockets

« Reply #26 on: 28 Aug 2016, 10:30 pm »
LOL. as you must have already figured out i am a big novice at computers.  in fact couple days ago i was thinking about purchasing Windows for Dummies. 

but i have always desired to built my own computer - everybody says it is like building legos but i don't have the courage to try it.  maybe someday !!

paulslary

« Reply #27 on: 15 Aug 2019, 08:44 am »
Hi, you can use a Windows 10 install disk to reset or recover your Windows 10 password. Steps with pictures here:
http://www.passwordsrecoverytool.com/windows-10-password-recovery/reset-windows-10-admin-password.html