External master clock

Mitch751

External master clock
« on: 2 Jan 2017, 05:13 am »
Hello all,

I understand that there is no option for LIO's DAC to add an external clock, however, in case it can, would that bring any benefit on sound quality by adding a clock ?

Also have anyone add an Uptone with your LIO ? I have tried but I really hear no different in sound quality, but few people claimed the improvement is significantly. Is there a problem of my hearing ??

I.Greyhound Fan

Re: External master clock
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jan 2017, 07:32 am »
Benefits of the Regen depends upon your DAC and usb cable.  We did a shoot out with several usb cables that sounded markedly different without the Regen with my Luxman DAC.  The Regen made all the usb cables sound similar with the exception of a Pangea Silver which still sounded bad (bright and thin)

The Regen made a very noticeable improvement with my Luxman.  I have 2 friends that use it with a Hugo and PS Audio DSD DAC and noticed an improvement in sound.

Vinnie R.

« Reply #2 on: 3 Jan 2017, 04:10 pm »
Hello all,

I understand that there is no option for LIO's DAC to add an external clock, however, in case it can, would that bring any benefit on sound quality by adding a clock ?

Also have anyone add an Uptone with your LIO ? I have tried but I really hear no different in sound quality, but few people claimed the improvement is significantly. Is there a problem of my hearing ??

Hi Mitch751,

LIO's dac has it's own internal reclock circuit, based on multiple precision oscillators (clocks) with "ultra low phase noise."
It's a really slick circuit and miles ahead of what I've used in the past with the RWA dacs.

*IF* there was an external clock input, chances are that you would degrade performance by using it because it would require
cables/plugs/jacks to connect it, and because it would get its power from another non-isolated power supply.  For this reason, I have
no plans to add a clock input to the LIO dac or future versions. 

As far as not hearing an improvement with the Uptone Regen, as I mentioned above, the LIO's dac has its own on-board
reclock circuit and this is probably one good reason why you are not hearing improvement with Regen.  And as I.Greyhound Fan mentions above, the sonic benefits of the Regen device depends on the dac as well as the USB cable (and most likely the quality of the USB output of your source).

I hope this helps,

Vinnie

Mitch751

« Reply #3 on: 4 Jan 2017, 05:24 am »
Thank you for all the responses ...