Empirical Audio Newport Show Reports

audioengr

Empirical Audio Newport Show Reports
« on: 7 May 2014, 06:08 pm »
Empirical Audio will again be exhibiting with our speaker buddies at Vapor Audio and we will have an Antipodes server to drive the system.  We will be in the Hilton 10th floor - 1001

http://theshownewport.com/visitors/index.html

Lots of big names including AudioNote, YG Acoustics, Vandersteen, Legacy, McIntosh and  Von Schweikert are on that floor to compare with.

Our killer system will comprise:

- Antipodes DS Reference server $3500
- Empirical Audio Overdrive SE DAC latest version (no Off-Ramp needed anymore) $6399
- Final Drives transformer buffer/selector - $2999
- Clayton Audio monoblocks - 400W/ch $16,500
- Vapor Audio Joule White loudspeakers - production version $12,995

Total system price, less cables and shipping: $42,393

Most speakers on this floor (and in this building) cost more than this, not to mention amps. :scratch:

Show Special: during the show and starting today, we are offering our $1 upgrade for 8 analog Hynes regs for the Overdrive SE DAC (versus the usual $1500).  The digital D/A Hynes upgrade has been incorporated into the price, so that is why the base price went up.  Nobody orders the Overdrive without it, so its included now.

We aim to kick some serious audio butt!!  See you there!

Steve N.
« Last Edit: 6 Jun 2014, 09:19 pm by audioengr »

audioengr

Re: Empirical Audio at Newport Show May 30-June 1, show special
« Reply #1 on: 24 May 2014, 08:47 pm »
bump

Brucemck

« Reply #2 on: 27 May 2014, 03:47 pm »
Good luck at the show. Looking forward to reading coverage. The setup you're bringing should sound terrific (assuming the room can be tamed)!

audioengr

« Reply #3 on: 27 May 2014, 04:56 pm »
Good luck at the show. Looking forward to reading coverage. The setup you're bringing should sound terrific (assuming the room can be tamed)!

Yeah, I'm not sure if we will have any room treatments.  At least it is a smaller room.

Steve N.

Brucemck

« Reply #4 on: 31 May 2014, 11:59 am »

pconley2

« Reply #6 on: 4 Jun 2014, 02:17 am »
Steve, it was great to meet you at THE Show, I am glad that the system finally got rocking, Andi and I left on Sunday but we could tell that your systems were fabulous.  Once the bass got calmed down a bit, I am sure that it was amazing, I am going to try and replicate as much of that system as I can.
Phil

audioengr

« Reply #7 on: 4 Jun 2014, 04:13 am »
Steve, it was great to meet you at THE Show, I am glad that the system finally got rocking, Andi and I left on Sunday but we could tell that your systems were fabulous.  Once the bass got calmed down a bit, I am sure that it was amazing, I am going to try and replicate as much of that system as I can.
Phil

The bass was really due to the room resonances, not the system.  There are 3 ways to tame this:
1) acoustic treatments
2) angling the system into a corner
3) Equalization

I have done all three, but this room did not lend itself to corner angle and the server did not provide EQ.  Next year we will have acoustic treatments provided by GIK acoustics.  Hopefully, this will do the trick.

The reason that not all rooms had this problem is that some systems were not capable of producing the actual bass in the recordings.  We don't have that problem.

Steve N.

labtec

« Reply #8 on: 4 Jun 2014, 03:48 pm »
Helpful hint:  Maybe you should try Dirac Live for room correction in the future at these shows (and at home for that matter).  You get a 14 day free trial so it's perfect to use at trade shows.

I've just tried it myself and been quite impressed with the results.  It will do much more than just tame room resonances.  You can also use multiple listening positions in the setup versus just 1 sweet spot, which is even more ideal for trade show purposes.

Frankly, IMO, any designer not using EQ to demo equipment in unfamiliar rooms is just shooting themselves in the foot.  Over 10 years ago, I remember Tact destroying other mega-dollar systems at these shows because they had built-in RCS.  There have been significant improvements and other options since then - much like DACs - so it's a no-brainer in my humble opinion.

Even at home, there is little reason not to use it unless you have constructed the perfect listening room.

When I go to these shows, I immediately discount those companies that bring the wrong equipment for their demo room.  It's actually comical to see some guys demo a system with cable elevators or a $3,000 power cord, yet they spend ZERO effort on room treatment.

Who are they fooling except the most primitive audiophile and pseudo media that "review" the shows?  99% of all room modes will be more audible than cable elevators or even the most expensive power cord (yes, I've heard the $2699 Valhalla and other similar Elrods, Shunyata, etc.)

I don't want this post to seem like I'm negative on EA.  I've used Steve in the past to mod gear and he is one of the best.  I'm just making a suggestion to prevent him from getting inaccurate assessments of his gear in future shows.

FWIW, I think it's the loudspeaker mfg responsibility to bring adequate room treatment for whatever model speaker they are using for the room size they chose to demo.

audioengr

« Reply #9 on: 4 Jun 2014, 05:24 pm »
Actually, the room modes were only audible in the back row by the wall.  If folks would just sit in the front row, it was fine.  I don't know how I would do any EQ using the Antipodes server.  I think it has to be built in.  He may be considering this.

Steve N.

Lexcircle1

« Reply #10 on: 5 Jun 2014, 02:13 am »
IMO, your system was one of the best at the show . Great system synergy . Smooth, very clear, almost analog, totally enjoyed it.

pconley2

Re: Empirical Audio Newport Show Reports
« Reply #11 on: 21 Jun 2014, 07:54 pm »
Confessions of a part time audiophile reveiws the Empircal Vapor Room--he loved the Overdrive DAC and Final Drive transformers.

http://parttimeaudiophile.com/2014/06/21/newport-2014-empirical-vapor/

Audioexcels

« Reply #12 on: 12 Jul 2014, 09:20 am »
Steve are you using those tube amps or do you drive the Vapors with solid state equipment? I'm curious what you ended up settling in with and how you have liked it compared with your larger planar speakers I had heard many times.

Thanks Steve and great work I see you have been kicking out since I last visited!

audioengr

« Reply #13 on: 12 Jul 2014, 04:27 pm »
I have the tube monoblocks now, but I had Vapor mod them for me to my specs.  They are amazing now and I have the right tubes in them.

I will be using these with my Nimbus once I get them.  I will probably sell my ribbons.  The tubes sound great with the ribbons too, on 4-ohm tap.

toddc2

• That dog sure loves beer
« Reply #14 on: 15 Jul 2014, 09:00 pm »
I will be using these with my Nimbus once I get them.

Wow, how long have you been waiting? Seems like forever...hope they arrive soon.

Todd

audioengr

« Reply #15 on: 16 Jul 2014, 02:53 am »
Wow, how long have you been waiting? Seems like forever...hope they arrive soon.

Todd

Me too :o