Omega Super 3i Monitors

MPSchenck

Re: Omega Super 7 Monitor MK2s or Tekton Mini Lore Monitors
« Reply #20 on: 15 May 2015, 10:59 pm »
I didn't mean that to be negative. Just an update.
I was kinda hoping for a "don't worry Louis don't usually run very behind" or similar.

It not like it's crazy late.

beowulf

« Reply #21 on: 15 May 2015, 11:13 pm »
I didn't mean that to be negative. Just an update.
I was kinda hoping for a "don't worry Louis don't usually run very behind" or similar.

It not like it's crazy late.

My experience was pretty close to the estimated time ... I would say I had them no later than a week or so of what the estimated delivery date was.  Hang in there, they are custom made so give him just a little leeway.  IME Louis gets pretty close to his dates.  I doubt it will be much longer before you hear something or you can give him a call wither way. :thumb:

MPSchenck

« Reply #22 on: 15 May 2015, 11:20 pm »
My experience was pretty close to the estimated time ... I would say I had them no later than a week or so of what the estimated delivery date was.  Hang in there, they are custom made so give him just a little leeway.  IME Louis gets pretty close to his dates.  I doubt it will be much longer before you hear something or you can give him a call wither way. :thumb:

That's what I was looking for. Thanks!  :D

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #23 on: 15 May 2015, 11:47 pm »
As a dealer I've been ordering from Louis for about 6 years, and he generally has been around 3 weeks to ship, sometimes a bit longer depending on his work load.  I've never dealt with a better supplier.

MPSchenck

« Reply #24 on: 19 May 2015, 02:42 am »

Well, 3 weeks yesterday and I haven't heard anything yet.

I called today and spoke with Louis, he really is a super nice guy, and he was already planning on shipping out my speakers this week.

rar1

« Reply #25 on: 19 May 2015, 09:59 am »
Hi MP,

It is worth the wait.  I received my Super 7 MK2s about a week ago.  You will forget how long you have waited, once you open up the box and see how stunning your speakers look.  Hope you enjoy them.

Rich 

rebbi

« Reply #26 on: 21 May 2015, 10:07 pm »
I called today and spoke with Louis, he really is a super nice guy, and he was already planning on shipping out my speakers this week.

Any updates? You receive your speakers yet?

MPSchenck

« Reply #27 on: 22 May 2015, 12:05 pm »
Any updates? You receive your speakers yet?

Nothing yet. He did say he'd get them out this week so I assume he meant shipped so maybe I'll get confirmation of that today.
« Last Edit: 22 May 2015, 05:27 pm by MPSchenck »

MPSchenck

« Reply #28 on: 22 May 2015, 08:39 pm »
SA-WEET! I got my tracking # at 4:25p ET.

Estimated delivery :
Wed 5/27/2015
« Last Edit: 23 May 2015, 12:10 am by MPSchenck »

MPSchenck

« Reply #29 on: 28 May 2015, 08:29 pm »
Omegas came yesterday. Yesterday was also the 1 day a month I had to work late.  I did get them set up and ran an album through them for a taste.

Bass seems adequate most of the time. I feel like the highs are really light and was having to strain to hear violins playing behind a live electronica band (Portishead, Roseland NYC Live, Glory Box).

This was one album with 0 break-in, so I'm going to work them out tonight and see what I come up with.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #30 on: 28 May 2015, 09:27 pm »

I feel like the highs are really light and was having to strain to hear violins playing behind a live electronica band (Portishead, Roseland NYC Live, Glory Box).

The RS5 is not known for being light on the highs, whether broken in or not.  If anything, it's the opposite.  Check upline.  Maybe some tube rolling is needed.  Also, you might check your phono stage settings if you are playing vinyl.  Keep us posted.  The Super 3i is one of my favorite speakers.  I love it's speed.
« Last Edit: 29 May 2015, 01:07 am by Canada Rob »

MPSchenck

« Reply #31 on: 29 May 2015, 05:54 pm »
The RS5 is not known for being light on the highs, whether broken in or not.  If anything, it's the opposite.  Check upline.  Maybe some tube rolling is needed.  Also, you might check your phono stage settings if you are playing vinyl.  Keep us posted.  The Super 3i is one of my favorite speakers.  I love it's speed.

I went in last night and played several records and moved my listening position back about 3 feet. Adjusted the output gain on my phono stage just a hair (turned it up to the next notch, say 12:30) and everything seems to be working well at this point. I definitely need more time to adjust to the single driver, it's not bad at all just different.

On the tube note, I have the Bellari VP130 Phono preamp sporting a NOS Telefunken 12AX7/ECC83 grey smooth plate. I know the VP130 isn't a true tube preamp, it just uses the tube to buffer the output signal. I'm also using a Miniwatt N3 amp with a another NOS Telefunken 12AX7/ECC83 grey smooth plate in the preamp socket and a matched and balanced pair of NOS Telefunken EL84/6BQ5. I wouldn't know what tubes to try at this point.

FireGuy

« Reply #32 on: 29 May 2015, 06:55 pm »
I went in last night and played several records and moved my listening position back about 3 feet. Adjusted the output gain on my phono stage just a hair (turned it up to the next notch, say 12:30) and everything seems to be working well at this point. I definitely need more time to adjust to the single driver, it's not bad at all just different.

On the tube note, I have the Bellari VP130 Phono preamp sporting a NOS Telefunken 12AX7/ECC83 grey smooth plate. I know the VP130 isn't a true tube preamp, it just uses the tube to buffer the output signal. I'm also using a Miniwatt N3 amp with a another NOS Telefunken 12AX7/ECC83 grey smooth plate in the preamp socket and a matched and balanced pair of NOS Telefunken EL84/6BQ5. I wouldn't know what tubes to try at this point.

At this time I've got my Super 5's (with the RS5) running on a modest Denon SS amp and within this set up I cannot begin to tell you how "organic" these sound which for me translates into an extremely balanced, defined and coherent presentation.  It's like nothing I've ever heard.  Omega (IMO) rival most speakers out there...with the caveat they are within their profile and environment.  There was a month or two of experimentation (mostly positioning and break in), but after that; my goodness.  It will come for you too.

MPSchenck

« Reply #33 on: 29 May 2015, 06:58 pm »
There was a month or two of experimentation (mostly positioning and break in), but after that; my goodness.  It will come for you too.

That's where I'm at.

Louis O

« Reply #34 on: 29 May 2015, 11:47 pm »
Hi FireGuy,

Many thanks for your post and kind words. I highly recommend experimentation with set up it makes a big difference.

Hi MPSchenck,

Thanks and the tubes are great. I had a leben with the same tubes and like the sound a lot. The will work in and won't take too long. Longest I heard was about 80 hours and they just clicked at that amount of time.

Thanks,
Louis

Audiophile58

« Reply #35 on: 30 May 2015, 12:28 am »
The mini lories are not a point specific built driver ,and is running through a Xover using what I would consider
Parts I would never use when I was modifying speakers!average at best. Tekton use a lot of seas drivers which is decent
They have several higher grades though. The Omega Super-7 driver is made point specific for it's
Range of duties. Once runin it is fast, dynamic and tuneful .a subwoofer I recommend if you want the last 1.5
Octaves of Bass from mid 40hz- the 20 HZ region

On their own they still do a very respectable job of Bass. The one thing common with all Omega speakers is their
Organic cohesive sound.very natural and the biggest soundstage by far to any of ther competitors
At or even several times their cost. I feel 150 hours of play time of Breakin to fully open up,IMO.

MPSchenck

« Reply #36 on: 30 May 2015, 03:50 pm »

Thanks and the tubes are great. I had a leben with the same tubes and like the sound a lot. The will work in and won't take too long. Longest I heard was about 80 hours and they just clicked at that amount of time.

Thanks,
Louis

Yeah, the Bellari came with some cheap 12AX7 in and it was remarkably bad, but all the reviews of it said was. So I put a Tung-Sol gold pin in it and it got a lot better. So after researching NOS tubes, Telefunken came out the top recommended brand of NOS tubes so I just went with them throughout. The difference in the Bellari was amazing. The Miniwatt has never had anything else in it.

I'm not really worried about burn-in. I was going to run them straight for 4 days, but so far I've had 3 evenings to listen and they have about 10 hours on them at slightly louder than my normal listening volume.

I will say this, I started loving them last night. I put on Eels Royal Albert Hall [Live] and it was pretty magical, like I was at the show. The Omegas even handled the Hall's pipe organ without any issues. 

jorgen

« Reply #37 on: 3 Jun 2015, 03:27 pm »
I have question concerning the 7"monitor, can they be buildt with two ports, one down firing and one backwards and use the rubber ball or something to block the one port one not in use. I'm asking because I'm thinking of using them in different setups.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #38 on: 3 Jun 2015, 03:55 pm »
I have question concerning the 7"monitor, can they be buildt with two ports, one down firing and one backwards and use the rubber ball or something to block the one port one not in use. I'm asking because I'm thinking of using them in different setups.
There is no reason why it can't be done, but why the downfiring port? 

jorgen

Re: Omega Super 3i Monitors
« Reply #39 on: 3 Jun 2015, 09:41 pm »
Hm well, it might not be a necessity, but I was thinking, there might be an option placing them close to a wall, I am not sure but thought some users prefers a downfiring port in that case, maybe that would give me more options, in terms of placement. But I'm not sure if that kind of placement would demand or profit from a downfiring port, so... (This is why wanted to know, but maybe it's the wrong way to think of it