Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release

Holger BDP2

Re: Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release
« Reply #1940 on: 18 Oct 2016, 07:49 pm »
Hi Ken,
in the meantime i found that it isn´t a problem of tags containing & " ´, but the problem occurs when the folders name contains one of these signs.
I stream from a NAS, having a folder for every artist that contains a folder for every album of the artist. So i changed the folders name e.g. from "Angus & Julia Stone" to "Angus and Julia Stone". This solved the problem for my collection. All small thumbnails are back. I did not have to change the tags.
Take a look at your data path, whether there are "special signs".
Hope this helps,
Holger

Krutsch

« Reply #1941 on: 19 Oct 2016, 10:16 pm »
Hi Ken,
in the meantime i found that it isn´t a problem of tags containing & " ´, but the problem occurs when the folders name contains one of these signs.
I stream from a NAS, having a folder for every artist that contains a folder for every album of the artist. So i changed the folders name e.g. from "Angus & Julia Stone" to "Angus and Julia Stone". This solved the problem for my collection. All small thumbnails are back. I did not have to change the tags.
Take a look at your data path, whether there are "special signs".
Hope this helps,
Holger

I reported this issue some time ago, but I am not going to rename all of my folders to remove all ampersands, single-quotes and bracket characters - that would be a lot of renaming. I have adjusted XLD to replace these characters with hyphens or underscore characters in filenames, but I have many cases in the leading path.

Instead, I will trust that Bryston will recognize the value in escaping special characters in their own code and just fix the problem  :D

MarvinTheMartian

« Reply #1942 on: 20 Oct 2016, 12:08 am »
"escaping special characters" is not as simple as it sounds.
In unix based systems special characters have very special meanings.
The unix originators hated to type,  especially on their telex dot matrix machines.
Initially it's a very cryptic operating system until you understand the power .

& = runs program in background..
. = current working directory or matches any single character in a search.
\ = ignore the special function of the next character. ie. escape

The only perfectly safe characters in the BDP world are [a:z][A:Z][0:9] and underscore.
Even space has implications relative to tab.

Debugging a remote clients database with escaped characters  would be a nightmare.
Shawn

Krutsch

« Reply #1943 on: 20 Oct 2016, 03:19 am »
"escaping special characters" is not as simple as it sounds.
In unix based systems special characters have very special meanings.
The unix originators hated to type,  especially on their telex dot matrix machines.
Initially it's a very cryptic operating system until you understand the power .

& = runs program in background..
. = current working directory or matches any single character in a search.
\ = ignore the special function of the next character. ie. escape

The only perfectly safe characters in the BDP world are [a:z][A:Z][0:9] and underscore.
Even space has implications relative to tab.

Debugging a remote clients database with escaped characters  would be a nightmare.
Shawn

Sorry... actually, it is. I've been a software engineer my entire career and this isn't rocket science. Especially given that the BDP is a captive system, where they control everything running on the box. No other media player and/or media serving software I've used has these issues: Roon, iTunes, MinimServer, JRiver, Twonky, Volumio, and it goes on and on.

Sorry, but telling me that I have to remove an ampersand from the folder name in a leading path to a collection of files is kiddywampus.

Shoot, even MPD on the BDP, ignoring Manic Moose's user experience and using MPaD or Soundirok, has no difficulty parsing my entire collection.

Rod_S

« Reply #1944 on: 22 Oct 2016, 09:40 pm »
I am having a similar issue, where I am missing a large number of the smaller Artists thumbnail images. Very frustrating, as this was all working prior to the last batch of BETA and latest official release.

From what I can observe, all of the larger album images are present; it's just the smaller ones that are missing. I don't see any correlation between special characters and missing album art, unlike what Holger is observing with his collection. I have also noticed that completely removing all generated thumbnail images and re-building makes no difference, unlike what I saw with an earlier BETA release.

I just updated to the latest official release and am experiencing the same thing, a lot of my small Artist view thumbnails are missing. All of the large thumbnails are there and the missing thumbnails aren't related to special characters.

Is there an ETA on this bug fix introduced with the latest build?

schmidtmike76

« Reply #1945 on: 22 Oct 2016, 09:47 pm »
maybe this is the place for this post

Im transferring all of my cd's to AIFF as we speak to a portable drive.  I have checked that all of the albums have thumbnails attached to them in iTunes if they didn't i just added "artwork". when I plug this portable drive into the Pi and pull up Mpod on my iPhone will the artwork be there as thumbnails?  Im reading you have to attach jpg in another folder?  thats beyond my comprehension if it is
« Last Edit: 23 Oct 2016, 02:02 pm by schmidtmike76 »

Marius

« Reply #1946 on: 23 Oct 2016, 01:28 pm »
HI Chris,

Since the support page [size=78%]Bryston | Firmware[/size] isn't online any more, is there any other place we can check for new firmware, without  switching on the BDP? I always loved the support page being independent from the actual BDP and stil be able to check for news.

Cheers,
Marius

OTM

« Reply #1947 on: 23 Oct 2016, 11:47 pm »
Be interested as well, Marius.

David

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1948 on: 24 Oct 2016, 03:50 pm »
HI Chris,

Since the support page [size=78%]Bryston | Firmware[/size] isn't online any more, is there any other place we can check for new firmware, without  switching on the BDP? I always loved the support page being independent from the actual BDP and stil be able to check for news.

Cheers,
Marius

The site is back up, the new servers Apache configuration was cap sensitive

Marius

« Reply #1949 on: 24 Oct 2016, 05:20 pm »
The site is back up, the new servers Apache configuration was cap sensitive

Cool! And they're much faster!
Thx,
Marius

Krutsch

« Reply #1950 on: 24 Oct 2016, 05:41 pm »
Feature request: it would be really great in the Manic Moose TIDAL interface to be able to sort by "Date Added", as well as by Artist or Album title, similar to how the native TIDAL app works.

I like to use TIDAL to sample new music and tend to start with what I added last to my list. If I like something, I buy the CD or download it and then remove it from the TIDAL list. With hundreds of selections in my "Albums" list, all sorted by default by Album title, it's hard to see what I've recently added.

Food for thought... Thanks.

Rod_S

« Reply #1951 on: 27 Oct 2016, 10:57 pm »
I just updated to the latest official release and am experiencing the same thing, a lot of my small Artist view thumbnails are missing. All of the large thumbnails are there and the missing thumbnails aren't related to special characters.

Is there an ETA on this bug fix introduced with the latest build?

Any update on the fix to this?

Krutsch

« Reply #1952 on: 1 Nov 2016, 08:20 pm »
Feature Request:

ReplayGain is super helpful when using shuffle play and/or playlists that mix albums to provide a consistent, relative volume without lowering sound quality.

MPD supports ReplayGain during playback. I've noticed the setting in the mpd.conf file on the BDP. It would be really cool if a simple On/Off switch could be added in the MPD settings on Manic Moose to enable/disable that function.

Apologies is this is already there and I just missed the setting.

Thanks.

Krutsch

« Reply #1953 on: 10 Nov 2016, 03:51 am »
BETA
S2.31 2016-11-09
Bryston DB
Fixed the albumartist bug
Fixed missing artist cover art issue

Verified. Nice work.

I don't know what the first issue is, but as of now I am not seeing any metadata or album art issues with my FLAC/MP3/AAC library.

Thanks.

Rod_S

« Reply #1954 on: 10 Nov 2016, 11:23 am »
Thanks

I was going to post last evening asking about progress of the fix to the bug introduced with the last stable build but forgot.

Marius

« Reply #1955 on: 11 Nov 2016, 12:14 pm »
HI Chris,

- updating the last 2 or 3 iterations of the beta firmware, the BDP's (1 and 2 in the house t the moment) had MPD been disabled, and/or the BDP's needed to do a full rebuild of the library. Is this expected behavior from now on after each upgrade? (hope not...) Or is some undiscovered new setting implemented to cause this maybe?

- The BDP2 (which i have pointed to 2 nas shares right now) is having difficulties adding the library to the Bryston DB and is stuck since the latest update yesterday evening at 5%.. All audio files are in place and playable. Should i rebuild or reset? BDP1 has no issue here, since i disabled the DB.

- could you please help identifying the cause of the empty audio devices page? 1 or 2 , makes no difference, maybe a browser security setting other than AdBlockPlus?

- the BDP2 is faster starting up than the BDP1, but is it correct it is very much slower in powering down (which was awkward since i always take out power centrally of the audio-group to save the environment...... and did so before the BDP2 was powered down.)

Cheers,
Marius

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1956 on: 15 Nov 2016, 02:29 am »

- updating the last 2 or 3 iterations of the beta firmware, the BDP's (1 and 2 in the house t the moment) had MPD been disabled, and/or the BDP's needed to do a full rebuild of the library. Is this expected behavior from now on after each upgrade? (hope not...) Or is some undiscovered new setting implemented to cause this maybe?

- The BDP2 (which i have pointed to 2 nas shares right now) is having difficulties adding the library to the Bryston DB and is stuck since the latest update yesterday evening at 5%.. All audio files are in place and playable. Should i rebuild or reset? BDP1 has no issue here, since i disabled the DB.

- could you please help identifying the cause of the empty audio devices page? 1 or 2 , makes no difference, maybe a browser security setting other than AdBlockPlus?

- the BDP2 is faster starting up than the BDP1, but is it correct it is very much slower in powering down (which was awkward since i always take out power centrally of the audio-group to save the environment...... and did so before the BDP2 was powered down.)

The bdp's should startup after a firmware update similar to when you turn it on normally, i'm not sure what could be going on.  The only exception was with the Bryston db change from S2.30 (I think), but the bdp should have just simply rebuilt the database.  You could backup your playlists and perform a factory reset to see if it's an old setting causing the issue.

We did make some changes to the SQLite commands to fix some of the previous issue, we will need the unit to be in service mode to indentify if this is the problem.

Sorry we don't test plugins, just way to many combinations.  You could check the browsers console for error messages or even the network requests and the Apache web log.  Do you have dac attached to either unit?

We added a delay to the bdp-2's shutdown routine so that we could perform shutdown tasks.

Marius

« Reply #1957 on: 23 Nov 2016, 06:39 am »
Hi Chris,

You're in a turbo at the moment updating the beta firmware versions....  :thumb:

Experiencing some major advances, looking very good, adding some nice functionality and cosmetic improvements. Maybe i like the album art on the dashboard best ;) long time wish!

Please have a look on mobile (iPhone here), since clicking the new settings wheel icon is followed by a window popup, covering the rest of the screen to interact with, and only a restart of the app gave back some useful screen estate.

changing between the versions of the dashboard is a bit of a hassle at the moment, would it be possible to add a button to switch between the 2?

Cheers!
Marius

enable the version 2 dashboard issue the below command in terminal prompt
php -f /bin/chgsettings.php system dashboard 2
To revert back to the original use this command
php -f /bin/chgsettings.php system dashboard 1
Alternativly using a web browser use the following two url's
http://bryston-bdp-2.local/mpd/chgsettings.php?p=system&v=dashboard&s=2
http://bryston-bdp-2.local/mpd/chgsettings.php?p=system&v=dashboard&s=1

btw audio devices are back!

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1958 on: 23 Nov 2016, 01:13 pm »
Please have a look on mobile (iPhone here), since clicking the new settings wheel icon is followed by a window popup, covering the rest of the screen to interact with, and only a restart of the app gave back some useful screen estate.

changing between the versions of the dashboard is a bit of a hassle at the moment, would it be possible to add a button to switch between the 2?

We are aware that the new view is quite useless on the mobile side, we still arn't quite sure how we are going to tackle the mobile view yet.

The dashboard v2 is still incredibly early in development for the scope of the project, at this point it's essentially research into optimizing the bryston db relative to the BDP-2 hardware and performing the task of presenting your music by album.

Our goal when we are done is to have all the features found in media player in the new dashboard, media player will remain as we do have customers that like to browse by the file structure of there library. 

We have discussed where and how to integrate that setting, but until we are much closer to a final product we will likely keep the feature hidden from mainstream users.

What you see now could be vastly different from the end product.

Cheers,
Chris

Krutsch

« Reply #1959 on: 24 Nov 2016, 06:34 pm »

The dashboard v2 is still incredibly early in development for the scope of the project, at this point it's essentially research into optimizing the bryston db relative to the BDP-2 hardware and performing the task of presenting your music by album.

Good stuff. Can we assume that the new software will work on the BDP-1 / BDP-Pi, but maybe won't work as fast or with the same number of albums?