Some more good metal...

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Some more good metal...
« on: 19 Jun 2003, 01:37 am »
For any fans of George Lynch, ex of Dokken, he and Dokken bass player Jeff Pilson have a new album called wicked undergroud.  Pilson sings all the songs and plays bass while Lynch of course blows the roof off with his wild guitar.  After living with this album for a couple weeks I have to say I'm blown away.  They don't really sound like Dokken, the album is much heavier, but also not just a throwback.  They update the sound (a bit of God Lives Underwater sound here and there); Pilson uses some cool effects on the vocals and the sound is very dense.  The album sounds pretty good, with my only complaint being a bit of a fuzzy, loose bottom end (er, on the music, not me!).  I think this is intentional, not a flaw of the engineering per se.

A few standout songs like "Vaccine", "When You Bleed" and "Zero The End" certainly stand up to comparison with the best work either of 'em have ever done, and the album is strong from start to finish.

I've mentioned it before, but I've had a couple weeks to listen to Helloweens last two albums, "The Dark Ride" and "Rabbit Don't Come Easy", and they're fantastic as well.  Perhaps the bands best work, even topping "Keeper of the Seven Keys, PT 1".  The humor is there, the band is tighter than ever, and if anything the guitarists have gotten faster! :P  :lol:   Anyone into Helloween or "Old School" metal really should check these out.  The sound is generally good with "Ride" being punchier with tighter bass.

Brad

Some more good metal...
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jun 2003, 01:44 am »
Hey Rob,

Just found a link to that album today and put it on my list. 8)
The new Anthrax (came out in May) is supposed to be pretty good, too.

I'll be picking those two up hopefully this week.  The Helloween to follow soon after.

Metal lives!!!