Warpspeed Optocoupler

Rclark

Re: Warpspeed Optocoupler
« Reply #100 on: 20 Oct 2011, 12:15 am »
•waves Jedi hand•

This is not the WS you're looking for  :green:

I am very lucky, I think the rest will have to build their own or buy fully built.

MaxCast

« Reply #101 on: 20 Oct 2011, 12:40 am »
where do you buy these things built?

rodge827

« Reply #102 on: 20 Oct 2011, 12:47 am »
Send an email to Warpspeed CE with your needs and he will get back to you with a quote. 8)

To late to get on the tour?

MaxCast

« Reply #103 on: 20 Oct 2011, 12:55 am »
thanks rodge.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #104 on: 20 Oct 2011, 03:07 am »
Conversation between me and wife  " I bought an Optocoupler it will be coming by mail.  A what? A Warspeed Optocoupler.

OK what does it do?   :dunno:"

Really I don't know but I want one  :green:.  What should I tell her?

TrungT

« Reply #105 on: 20 Oct 2011, 04:10 am »
You can have her read this http://www.ussdragonstar.com/utilitycore/warpspeeds.asp
And fig. out from there.
 :wink:

pelliott321

« Reply #106 on: 20 Oct 2011, 07:08 pm »
I am using the Warpspeed kit in the dodd buffer and its pure magic in my system (rebuilt Maggy iii's biamped).
I like it better than either the warpspeed alone of the dodd buffer with stock pot.
I want to try the warpspeed in my full tube line stage but that's a project that is further down on my list for now.

praedet

« Reply #107 on: 20 Oct 2011, 07:25 pm »
So, did you build it into the buffer?

Warpspeed CE

« Reply #108 on: 21 Oct 2011, 05:29 am »
Enjoy your W'speed RClark! :thumb:

The W'speed is just a pass thru variable voltage divider, so the burden of providing current for muti-paralleled outputs goes to you Source/DAC. In this case, 2Vrms or more output voltage and low output impedance is an advantage which is now fairly common with modern DACs...

pelliott321, please share your other info why you found that you needed a buffer...

A tube buffer also does wonders to Class D amplification...I find I don't need one with my Class A amps...just lucky enough that I can operate these living in the Pacific NW.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #109 on: 21 Oct 2011, 11:21 am »

The W'speed is just a pass thru variable voltage divider, so the burden of providing current for muti-paralleled outputs goes to you Source/DAC. In this case, 2Vrms or more output voltage and low output impedance is an advantage which is now fairly common with modern DACs...

I had the wife read that.  She understands my enthusiasm for the thing now... :o

gooberdude

« Reply #110 on: 21 Oct 2011, 11:42 pm »
I recommend the Warpspeed to anyone, even if you have a good preamp & are simply interested.

The built version that I bought directly from Allan arrived & looks amazing.  haven't plugged it in just yet, but hopefully later tonight i'll have time.

Hard to believe that while I was demo'ing a tour unit, i ordered AND received the built unit while i still had the demo unit.

best tour ever!!   :lol:

I still have the demo unit, but am trying to get it to BPape this weekend.  If there's a delay i will let everyone know.  I can always give my built version to Bryan as well, and send the demo on its way outside StL.

i've now tried the demo unit with 4 difft sources, and the only source that fails is the Tranquility dac.   The other 3 work perfectly, no matter the interconnect length (I use a 10" set of IC's with both a Motorola cable tv box & a PS3).

matt

gooberdude

« Reply #111 on: 22 Oct 2011, 12:37 am »
Good news!   The tour preamp will be on its way to another city. 

BPape will demo my preamp at some point in the next few weeks.

i'll get the tour preamp boxed up & in the mail either tomorrow or 1st thing Monday.

Warpspeed CE

« Reply #112 on: 22 Oct 2011, 01:08 am »
Just pm'd you and ejfud...Thanks for the great review Matt!

Please pm/email Matt about the Tranquility DAC issue and the solution we came up with. I think their SE version doesn't have the same output caps...

gooberdude

« Reply #113 on: 22 Oct 2011, 01:30 am »
You nailed it, time for a new dac.  DB audio labs just came out w/a battery powered version, but i may hold out for something w/multiple inputs to work with my entire system.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #114 on: 22 Oct 2011, 02:51 am »
I have a couple of things on the table but around Christmas would be a good time to get this.  These still come in kit form?  I think I saw a price somewhere with shipping to Canada. If someone could point me to that it would be appreciated.

I'm not too technical but I can solder.  Can I assume that even though I can't really read schematics  I should be able to assemble this by just following a clear photo of an assembled unit?  This is how I handled the crossovers on my GR Research speakers...

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
« Reply #115 on: 22 Oct 2011, 05:15 am »

I'm not too technical but I can solder.  Can I assume that even though I can't really read schematics  I should be able to assemble this by just following a clear photo of an assembled unit?  This is how I handled the crossovers on my GR Research speakers...

I share your level of expertise. I ordered the kit, and having been given the instructions and drawing out my plan for connections, feel that you should be ok. It does appear still to be a bit tricky, but Allan has made the parts about as clearly labeled as you can get.

Now, I haven't actually built it yet. I have just received my Hammond aluminum enclosure and the ancillary parts like a shiny knob, fuse holder, Cardas chassis mount rcas. I chose to get this stuff from Handmade Electronics. I picked up fuse and power connectors from radio shack. Next, I need to layout the holes and drill them out. -never drilled aluminum before. I am researching a bit before I get started. Plan to put it together this weekend, if all goes well.

Question? - what is the right size fuse? I was thinking 1.5 amp slow blow type.

-Tony

TrungT

« Reply #116 on: 22 Oct 2011, 05:37 am »
^^^^^
1.5A fuse should work great.
I will use inline fuse next project, much easier
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Littelfuse/01500274Z/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMssaSaMl4au6JgFSw%2fXWz56

InfernoSTi

« Reply #117 on: 22 Oct 2011, 04:45 pm »
I recommend the Warpspeed to anyone, even if you have a good preamp & are simply interested.

The built version that I bought directly from Allan arrived & looks amazing.  haven't plugged it in just yet, but hopefully later tonight i'll have time.

Hard to believe that while I was demo'ing a tour unit, i ordered AND received the built unit while i still had the demo unit.

best tour ever!!   :lol:

I still have the demo unit, but am trying to get it to BPape this weekend.  If there's a delay i will let everyone know.  I can always give my built version to Bryan as well, and send the demo on its way outside StL.

i've now tried the demo unit with 4 difft sources, and the only source that fails is the Tranquility dac.   The other 3 work perfectly, no matter the interconnect length (I use a 10" set of IC's with both a Motorola cable tv box & a PS3).

matt

Congratulations, Matt!  That is really fantastic to hear.  The only thing you did wrong is send this to Bryan instead of routing it through me first!   :lol:

May your impedances be matched and your single ended connections short....

John

InfernoSTi

« Reply #118 on: 22 Oct 2011, 05:10 pm »
I'd like to congratulate Allan on another milestone: the V4x2 model.  This model has two inputs and two (parallel) outputs. 

I requested this design tweak and it turned out that he had never put such a model together previously.  We agreed on the basics and, upon completing the build, the results turned out great.  Per Allan, the first V4x2 is dead quiet between the two inputs and otherwise has the same sonic qualities as the single input version. It's great when the theory proves out in practice. 

The two inputs allow the Warpspeed to integrate two separate sources without the hassle of switching out the the RCA cables each time.  Many of us have both a DAC and a phono pre amp, for example, and value the ability to have a simple setup when listening to digital and analog.

I told Allan to get ready once people hear that is an option…I suspect it will be a popular model as it allows such great flexibility when incorporating the output.   :lol:

As far as the two outputs, that is perfect for bi-amping situations like I use.  The ability to have a master volume control is useful, particularly with a set of stereo plate amps that have their own gain and crossover controls.  And it certainly makes building a hi pass and/or a low pass buffer an interesting option down the road. I'm thinking about reducing the need for passive crossovers… :-)

Allan is burning it in and doing some QA/QC before shipping the V4x2 to me on Monday (but we all know he is just listening to music and can't pull himself away, right?). 

Thanks and I can't wait to hear the Warpspeed in my system next week! 

John

P.S. Here are some photos of the finished product (the rear panel being the distinctive difference).  It's simply gorgeous! 

ebag4

« Reply #119 on: 22 Oct 2011, 05:30 pm »
Very nice John, you are soon going to be the kid with all the cool toys! :lol:

I am anxiously awaiting your impressions.

Best,
Ed