Vandersteen 2CE versus Vandersteen 3a

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
Vandersteen 2CE versus Vandersteen 3a
« on: 20 Jun 2009, 11:49 pm »
Thinking about snagging a pair of  Vandersteen 3a's to replace the  Vandersteen 2CE i am using now.  Anybody ever compare them or  owned a set. Any input would be a help.

secondly which one of these tube amp would you go with

a rebuilt dynaco st 70 by Will Vincent
Quicksilver Mini Mite   

ED

nunhgrader

Re: Vandersteen 2CE versus Vandersteen 3a
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jun 2010, 07:37 pm »
I purchased a Will Vincent rebuilt Dynaco ST-70 and I cannot recommend his work enough - beautiful and built to last a life time!

nature boy

« Reply #2 on: 4 Jun 2010, 08:46 pm »
ecramer,

I think that each of the amps you listed may be a bit underpowered for the Vandy 3A's, unless you don't plan to play them very loudly.  In my experience Vandy's match very well with Quicksilver and Audio Research tube amplifiers. 

I always have relied on John Rutan (Audio Connection - Verona, NJ) for recommendations on matching amps to Vandersteen speakers.  He is extremely knowledgable and one of Richard Vandersteen's valued dealers.  I would give him a call if you can.

This info from the Vandersteen website on 3a Signature speakers:

• IMPEDANCE
6 ohms nominal 4 ohms minimum.
• SENSITIVITY
87dB with 2.83 volts of pink noise input at 1 meter on axis.
• RECOMMENDED AMPLIFICATION
100 to 200 watts per channel into 8 ohms.
The amplifier must be stable into a 4 ohm load.

NB

Nuance

« Reply #3 on: 4 Jun 2010, 09:25 pm »
ecramer,

I've directly compared the 2CE Sig II's and 3A's.  I assume you have the 2CE's, not the mark II's?  The mark II's share the same tweeter and midrange driver as the 3A's, so the only real benefit you get with the latter is lower bass response.  If you're moving from the standard 2CE Sigs to the 3A's you'll get a bit more midrange resolution and sweeter, more detailed highs along with that extra bass depth. 

I too recommend more amplification.  Have you considered the Butler Audio TDB 2250?  It gives the tube sound but the raw grunt of SS (so I've read.  Mine arrives Monday).
http://www.butleraudio.com/tdb2250.php

dangerbird

« Reply #4 on: 4 Jun 2010, 09:40 pm »
FWIW,you might wanna' consider some Quicksilver Mid Mono's.Good Luck in your hunt.