JakeJ

Re: Can your power conditioner do this?
« Reply #20 on: 9 Jul 2017, 05:04 am »
That's because it's all marketing BS and the OP fell for it. :shake:

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #21 on: 9 Jul 2017, 08:36 am »
No gas modules in mine, which is a good thing. 

The marketing could go the other way "the absence of auto resettible gas module fuses...been replaced by fuses with unobtanium metal and aerospace glass which provides a better high/low/mid (your choice) end response".

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #22 on: 9 Jul 2017, 09:17 pm »
Quote from: Speedskater on Yesterday at 10:56 am
    Isolated Ground receptacles are only useful in systems that have metal conduit/tubing (either rigid or flexible) and building that have metal framing.  They serve no function in systems that use Romex® or plastic conduit.

Incorrect. If you have something that blocks ground loops they are entirley necessary.
I don't understand?
How are you connecting Isolated Ground receptacles in a Romex® or plastic conduit system?
In a metal conduit system, I.G. receptacles prevent noise, interference & leakage currents from other circuits from using your audio interconnects as a path back to their voltage source. But that's not a problem in plastic systems.

Folsom

« Reply #23 on: 10 Jul 2017, 04:08 am »
Ah, I see what you meant now. Sure, with plastic boxes (the wall) they have no purpose. But we are talking about power conditioners.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #24 on: 10 Jul 2017, 12:49 pm »
Ah, I see what you meant now. Sure, with plastic boxes (the wall) they have no purpose. But we are talking about power conditioners.
But at that point in time, we were discussing hospital grade dual receptacles. Don't know how or why there would be I.G. receptacles in a power conditioner. Don't think that NEC & UL would be happy with that.

Folsom

« Reply #25 on: 10 Jul 2017, 05:31 pm »
Again, in power conditioners it's necessary if you have ground loop preventing provisions. It also doesn't mean the enclosure is not grounded.

NEC & UL approval is unrealistic for audiophile products in general unless the scale is very large. Companies will due their best to use them as guidelines to make a safe product but won't get approval. There's nothing unsafe about a grounded enclosure with isolated sockets that go back to the same grounding incoming leg.

A_shah

« Reply #26 on: 10 Jul 2017, 06:21 pm »
From the Wells Audio website on their "Looking Glass" power conditioner.   :lol:

"At the heart of our conditioners we use a circuit developed by John Curl and Jack Bybee as it's main filtering technology. This circuit employs a series of filtering caps and also contains a "gas module" that breaks the circuit when it senses an overcurrent condition. Once the condition has passed the gas within the module reforms and once again becomes conductive allowing the conditioner to once again function normally. The specially designed outlets have phosphor bronze contacts (the best sounding material for audio contacts), all wiring is sourced directly from the wire manufacturer and is proprietary. Wire insulation is teflon."
My power conditioner talks to me every morning makes me Breakfast . and reminds me that it does not Fart Gas !

JakeJ

« Reply #27 on: 10 Jul 2017, 07:54 pm »
Looking at the OP's original post and realizing he used an LOL smiley.  I think he gets that there is a certain quantity of marketing BS in the ad copy.  My bad.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #28 on: 10 Jul 2017, 08:46 pm »
Again, in power conditioners it's necessary if you have ground loop preventing provisions. It also doesn't mean the enclosure is not grounded.
NEC & UL approval is unrealistic for audiophile products in general unless the scale is very large. Companies will due their best to use them as guidelines to make a safe product but won't get approval. There's nothing unsafe about a grounded enclosure with isolated sockets that go back to the same grounding incoming leg.
Now I'm lost again.
Is/are the power conditioner's:
Chassis connected to wall outlet's Safety Ground?
The P.C's receptacles connected to wall outlet's Safety Ground?

Folsom

« Reply #29 on: 10 Jul 2017, 09:36 pm »
Every power conditioner should have safety ground connected on it's input. Every socket should have ground as well. The problem is you can't have a path through the chassis, bypassing your ground loop prevention provisions, so the ground is isolated from the backstrap.

BTW almost all European sockets are isolated since they simply don't have a rear backstrap of metal or anything to speak of, so it's only the US where people have anything to really talk about. It's just a circumstance of our receptacle form that it cost more to separate the ground and hence it gets designated for when necessary.