MCH-K38 - a giant killer!

Eric Gustafsson

Re: MCH-K38 - a giant killer!
« Reply #240 on: 8 Sep 2016, 07:53 am »
I have now changed to my "old" preamp with only unbalanced output and the sound is amazing. I can't understand how Nuprime can make such a wonderful amp at that price level.  :notworthy:

Eric Gustafsson

« Reply #241 on: 8 Sep 2016, 08:08 am »
Nuprime has been very very helpful and supporting in order to solve the humming problem. Of some reasons the Hattor Audio preamp and Nuprime MCH-K38 doesn't like each other. It is like us. Some people doesn't get along and many times we just have to accept that and leave each other.

As it looks now I will keep the MCH-K38 for looooooong time and the preamp from Hattor Audio will be sold. It's a great passive preamp together with other power amps.

John Casler

« Reply #242 on: 8 Sep 2016, 05:35 pm »
I have now changed to my "old" preamp with only unbalanced output and the sound is amazing. I can't understand how Nuprime can make such a wonderful amp at that price level.  :notworthy:

And THAT sir, is why I started this thread.  :thumb:

While one's sonic preferences can be all over the board, there is no denying that for some reason(s) this amp is special in the way it delivers.

Very glad you enjoy it.

I might add, that the DAC-10 is also a great and reasonably priced "sonic mate" to the K-38

Eric Gustafsson

« Reply #243 on: 8 Sep 2016, 05:43 pm »
And THAT sir, is why I started this thread.  :thumb:

You didn't start this thread. It was someone else.  :wave:

John Casler

« Reply #244 on: 8 Sep 2016, 05:49 pm »
You didn't start this thread. It was someone else.  :wave:

LOL. . . what a dummy I am.  I thought this was the thread I started some time ago.

Looks like "you" started this one and I'm glad you did.

Thanks for keeping me straight  :lol: :lol: :lol:

rustydoglim

« Reply #245 on: 9 Sep 2016, 08:10 pm »
I merged John's topic and this topic into one now so that new comers can read the feedbacks on MCH-K38.

Eric Gustafsson

« Reply #246 on: 22 Sep 2016, 05:54 am »
This amp just get better and better.  :D I just love the power and the dynamic in the amp.  8)

Yesterday I heard something I never ever heard before. I was playing Pink Floyd´s Money and there is an fantastic guitar solo in the first part. At least I have always thought that it´s an guitar solo, but it´s not. As far as I heard it´s two guitar playing the "solo".

I don't understand how NuPrime can make such an excellent amp for that kind om money!  :thumb:

John Casler

« Reply #247 on: 22 Sep 2016, 08:42 pm »
This amp just get better and better.  :D I just love the power and the dynamic in the amp.  8)

Yesterday I heard something I never ever heard before. I was playing Pink Floyd´s Money and there is an fantastic guitar solo in the first part. At least I have always thought that it´s an guitar solo, but it´s not. As far as I heard it´s two guitar playing the "solo".

I don't understand how NuPrime can make such an excellent amp for that kind om money!  :thumb:

Totally agree, and that is why I made such a commotion a few weeks ago raving like crazy about it.

Many might pass this amp by, because it has 8 channels, and the general line of thinking is it is "just" a HT amp.

IMO it is much more.  :thumb:

bummrush

« Reply #248 on: 22 Sep 2016, 09:26 pm »
So do they have a 2 chanel amp that has the magic????

John Casler

« Reply #249 on: 22 Sep 2016, 09:52 pm »

Depending on the "sound" you like, ALL the NuPRIME Amps have "Magic".  (remember I am a dealer  8))

There is not a 2 channel version of this exact configuration. 

gammajo

« Reply #250 on: 22 Sep 2016, 11:39 pm »
Just spent an hour re-reading this entire thread from the beginning - there is a lot of complex but excellent information in it. worth the read from the beginning if you are just joining
« Last Edit: 23 Sep 2016, 02:29 am by gammajo »

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #251 on: 23 Sep 2016, 06:12 am »

If you bridge outputs and bi-amp your speakers... that's sort of like 2 channels  :green:

rustydoglim

« Reply #252 on: 23 Sep 2016, 09:35 am »
Just in case anyone learning about MCH-K38 for the first time, note that this is a Class A+D hybrid design, so don't expect it to run very cool like a pure class-D amp. And we have 1KW of power supply going into 8 channels so it will feel hot even when idle. Our goal is explosive dynamic and yet retain the audiophile quality at quiet listening level.

kevb

« Reply #253 on: 23 Sep 2016, 11:02 am »
I am putting this on my short list as my dream amp.  Love  my STA-9 and IDA-8 and what they can do, but this would absolutely be all I need to power 2 systems at once - I have 2 systems in my main room, one digital based system firing widthwise, and one analog based system firing lengthwise.

This could power both systems at once - with 400 wpc of sublime NuPrime power!   :thumb:   Only issue is it is way outside my budget at this point...   :(

mervinpearce

« Reply #254 on: 23 Sep 2016, 03:41 pm »
Got this amp and in storage with the AVP... will listen to in when I am back in my country but boughtt it as I have the IDA-8,IDA-16, 2 x STA-9 bridged with DAC-9... and now a HPA-9 (no idea as I will llisten in a month or two).  Best buy with NuPrime.

rustydoglim

« Reply #255 on: 27 Sep 2016, 05:30 pm »
We need to start special loyalty membership group for this kind of customer!
I am working on a new membership site so that we can provide better service and offer extra perks (free extended warranty for example, trade in program) to customers.

Eric Gustafsson

« Reply #256 on: 27 Sep 2016, 06:16 pm »
If you bridge outputs and bi-amp your speakers... that's sort of like 2 channels  :green:

That's how I use my MCH-K38. It gives a lot of power for each speaker and an increadible sound.

zwizardofoz

« Reply #257 on: 27 Sep 2016, 06:49 pm »
Wonder how they will sound with LX521s. Maybe its time to build a pair.

I have a pair driven by 2 Emotiva xpa-5 gen 2 amps..one per side...using asp so 4 amp channels per side. Looking to try the K38 too soon as my distributor can get one in for demo. Another option might be 4 sta-9’s

In the mean time I'm going to try a lexicon dd8 I scored the other day...but that's more likely destined to go on my lxminis unless the sta9’s get there too...I just sold a pair of sat-9’s to a client for another lxmini build

I wonder @jason can the K38 run into 2 Ohm loads in bridged mode or normal mode?
« Last Edit: 28 Sep 2016, 02:16 pm by zwizardofoz »

rustydoglim

« Reply #258 on: 1 Oct 2016, 07:40 am »
I wonder @jason can the K38 run into 2 Ohm loads in bridged mode or normal mode?

No problem with 2 Ohm load in either mode.

zwizardofoz

« Reply #259 on: 1 Oct 2016, 10:31 am »
No problem with 2 Ohm load in either mode.

That great news...is the GAIN the same too @ 22dB ... which is rather low as I would have expected somethinling closer 26-29dB

Does this gain also apply to other Impedance settings? and other models like STA-9 / 10, IDA-8 etc?