What classical music you listening to, luv?

rajacat

• Washington State
Re: What classical music you listening to, luv?
« Reply #1380 on: 21 Jul 2016, 12:32 am »
Honegger: Symphony No. 5; Symphony No. 3; Pacific 231
Arthur Honegger (Composer), Neeme Jarvi (Conductor), Danish National Radio Symphony Orchestra (Orchestra)

Spectacular music, outstanding recording. The SQ is truly superb! :o Good music to stretch your rig and give it a good ride. :thumb:

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #1381 on: 21 Jul 2016, 02:41 am »
Thanks for the Honegger headsup.  I have a couple of versions of Pacific, but I'll look for the Chandos.

Klavierman

« Reply #1382 on: 30 Jul 2016, 06:48 pm »
Stunning playing and very good sound.

Klavierman

« Reply #1383 on: 30 Jul 2016, 09:34 pm »
Disc one. Excellent performances and sound.

Klavierman

« Reply #1384 on: 31 Jul 2016, 05:42 pm »
Bach Partitas No. 2 and 3. Wonderful playing and sound.

Klavierman

« Reply #1385 on: 31 Jul 2016, 09:57 pm »
I bought this as part of my box set bonanza (and from an actual CD/LP store!) the other day. I've only heard symphonies 7-9, so I was curious about the first 6 and figured this was probably an authentic-sounding set. I started with Symphony No.1. Not bad at all, if a little long. The Symphony is paired with the Cello Concerto, which receives a fine performance. I think it's odd that none of the soloists are Czech, but they are all renowned musicians. 5 of the 6 discs play for more than 80 minutes, so this is quite a bargain set. Great sound, too.

Klavierman

« Reply #1386 on: 31 Jul 2016, 11:08 pm »
I finished this set with Sonata No.3, which he plays with commanding sweep and virtuosity. Superb sound--to my ears, the perfect balance of presence and hall sound.

Klavierman

« Reply #1387 on: 1 Aug 2016, 09:14 pm »
I seem to be alone here... :cry:

Anyway, when Lazar Berman praises another pianist's technique, musicality, and individuality, then he's worth looking into, and Bellucci doesn't disappoint in these two fiercely difficult pieces. Excellent sound, too.

Klavierman

« Reply #1388 on: 1 Aug 2016, 11:08 pm »
My last post in this thread until I see some new ones!

I was thrilled to find a sealed copy of this LP for only $15. My old one was worn out ages ago. I can't imagine why RCA never issued this recording on CD. It's also hard to imagine anyone playing this with anywhere near the searing intensity of these artists. The 1968 sonics hold up well.

S Clark

« Reply #1389 on: 4 Aug 2016, 04:01 am »
Angel blue label S-35983 Chopin 15 Mazurkas  played by Malcuzynski from 1963. 
When I bought this last week at the Hastings "Going out of Business" sale, I wondered why I needed a 4th or 5th version of Chopin's Mazurkas.  Glad I invested the $1.39 on this old lp.  Malcuzynski takes his time to caress meaning from these little gems that most pianist run past.  Ok, it's slow tempo, but that works for me, letting the artist emphasize notes and tempos that bring new meaning to well worn pieces. But some are not the standard dozen that get played and played.  This lp also includes many of the mazurkas that are often overlooked... after all, Chopin wrote 58 of them. Very well recorded for all but the deepest bass notes.  If you see a copy, buy it.  It brings something different to your Chopin collection. 

Klavierman

« Reply #1390 on: 7 Aug 2016, 09:54 pm »
No.4-6 today.

Klavierman

« Reply #1391 on: 8 Aug 2016, 12:12 am »

Klavierman

« Reply #1392 on: 18 Aug 2016, 09:03 pm »
No.3-6 today. Fantastic!

Klavierman

« Reply #1393 on: 19 Aug 2016, 09:06 pm »
I was not familiar with this artist, but an equipment reviewer for The Absolute Sound uses it as a reference recording, so I thought if nothing else it would sound good, and it certainly does! (It's recorded by famed engineer Peter McGrath. I did note that the piano image favors the right channel a bit, but the sound is very present and clear--a live recording.) Fortunately, the playing is wonderful too: by turns thunderingly virtuosic or poetically delicate as the music requires.

Klavierman

« Reply #1394 on: 20 Aug 2016, 10:21 pm »
Excellent sound and playing, but I just don't care for this type of music anymore.

S Clark

« Reply #1395 on: 22 Aug 2016, 12:04 am »
Brahms 4th symphony on Command Records, William Steinberg and the Pittsburgh orchestra. 
Steinberg and Pittsburgh is deserving of more recognition.  Combined with Command Records and their early use of 35mm motion picture film instead of traditional tape, these  early recordings have extremely low floor noise.  Phillips and Mercury both adopted this recording technique.  These are fine recordings that are overlooked in the scramble for old RCA's or Mecury's.
Here's one on Discogs for about $5
https://www.discogs.com/sell/item/227325760

Fiddleronroof

« Reply #1396 on: 2 Sep 2016, 03:46 am »
Dudamel conducting Berlioz Symphonie Fantastique! Fabulous recording! Great live recording quality and great playing!

brooklyn

« Reply #1397 on: 29 Sep 2016, 02:43 pm »

brooklyn

« Reply #1398 on: 4 Oct 2016, 05:38 pm »

S Clark

« Reply #1399 on: 5 Oct 2016, 04:35 am »
Glazounov Sym. #3 on EMI/Melodiya conducted by Khaikin leading the Moscow Radio Sym. Orch.  Excellent pressing.

Alexander Glazounov is an underappreciated Russian master.  Like his contemporary Rachmaninov, he had one foot in the 20th century, looking backward.  His symphonies are blends of Tchaikovsky, Rimsky-Korsakov, and Borodin.  Good stuff... check it out if you haven't already.