Review Demo Sale! Oppo Sonica and Oppo UDP-205 - ONE EACH ONLY!!!

modwright

For sale, two reviewer demo Oppo units:

One Oppo Sonica DAC with tube mods: $2535 - shipped ($3380 retail).
http://modwright.com/modifications/oppo-sonica-dac-network-streamer-modification.php

One Oppo UDP-205 4K player with tube mods: $2910 - shipped ($3880 retail).
http://modwright.com/modifications/oppo-udp205-modification.php

One of each only, first come first serve!

Call now!

Thanks,

Dan Wright
« Last Edit: 27 Oct 2017, 05:19 pm by modwright »

lancelock

I now own both of these units for my 2 systems and this deal is a bargain. They sound absolutely fantastic.

Lance

rbbert

I wonder who the reviewers were who had these units?  To my ears and priorities, the Modwright Oppo 205 is a huge cut above the Modwright 105.  Better sonics, far more flexibility as a DAC, and even as a "machine" it seems more elegant.  Considering the excellent reviews the 105 received, the 205 should do at least as well in that regard.
« Last Edit: 19 Jul 2017, 02:28 am by rbbert »

billc

Dan, please look for my email re the 205!   :D

Bill C.   

modwright

Just replied I believe.

dminches

Dan, you are probably the only person who has heard the modded Oppo 205, Sonica and Marantz units.

Can you provide your impressions on the differences among the 3?  Is there a clear winner in overall sound quality or are they very close, but different to each individual's ear?

modwright

That is a very good question!

The modified Sonica and 205 are identical to my ears.  Our mod is the same and the analog stage, DAC, etc., are the same.  You just need to device if you want a Universal Player or a DAC.
As for the Marantz, it is different, but on the same level.  The tube and circuit type are very different.

I think the Oppo mods have the best bass and are the most dynamic.  The Marantz has phenomenal resolution and bass and is also very good.

It is so close, that I would say that it really comes down to a matter of personal preference.  We have done more of the Oppo mods simply because the Oppos are more well known.

I will also ask my mod tech and see what he thinks as they all pass through his hands pre-post mod.

Thanks,

Dan

dminches

Dan,

Great response.  It is good for people to know that if they don't need disc or video capabilities that the sonica is a great option.

Let us know what your tech says.

David

modwright

He said he would listen to the 205 today and give me his feedback.

Thanks,

Dan

lancelock

I agree with Dan. Having both, I can't hear a difference in the Oppos. They both sound spectacular. The tube stage is so smooth that more and more I feel I don't need a preamp anymore, direct to amp sounds best.

"I think the Oppo mods have the best bass and are the most dynamic"

Dan is spot on. In this area the Modwright Oppo is as good or better than my DS DAC.

Lance

modwright

Thank you Lance!

Dan