Brand new Macbook Air vs new Mini

stump4545

Brand new Macbook Air vs new Mini
« on: 5 Mar 2015, 07:13 pm »
Does I new mac mini setup sound better then a MacBook Air setup?

I would like to use an Air as shelf space is limited and then I could always use my Air around the house also.

Is an SDD a great plus?

thanks a lot

GentleBender

Re: Brand new Macbook Air vs new Mini
« Reply #1 on: 5 Mar 2015, 09:20 pm »
I can't help you with which sounds better, probably too close to call for me, but there should be someone better qualified than me.

However, I have not been excited about SSDs in the past, but the cost has dropped significantly and sizes have climbed steadily. I just replaced both HDDs in my Mac Mini Server (2011) with Samsung 850 Pro 500GB and can't believe how much faster that thing fires up. Everything seems so speedy now. Now I leave it on and just let it go into sleep mode since there are no spinning discs and it is always ready to go. Only thing I am missing is USB 3. :(

The Macbook Air only has SSDs and if you go with Mac Mini and aren't afraid of a little work, I would order with the regular HDD type and switch out the drive with an SSD. ifixit.com along with others (Google is your friend here) have great tutorials. Apple charges a premium for SSD and I bought mine from Amazon at about $300 each for the Samsung Pro 850. You could save some money by getting the Samsung 840 Evo or 850 Evo, the warranty period is shorter, but I was willing to pay a bit extra since I plan on leaving it on.

Good luck.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #2 on: 5 Mar 2015, 11:00 pm »
In theory the Mac Mini should sound better as it is simpler with less noisy parts such as the screen & battery.  In practice : guess it also depends on the quality of components down stream of the computer as well.

I wouldn't stress it too much - just go with the Macbook Air if you need 1 machine for dual purposes and that's more convenient for you - even if that's not "ideal" (i.e. a dedicated Mac would be run stripped of everything including software not essential to serving music). 

If you really want something higher end / audiophile for music serving / streaming, get something dedicated like the Auralic Aries starting at $1K or something similar.  Not only will it sound better but the maintenance will be easier and the performance better overall.

lokie

« Reply #3 on: 5 Mar 2015, 11:15 pm »
In theory the Mac Mini should sound better as it is simpler with less noisy parts such as the screen & battery.  In practice : guess it also depends on the quality of components down stream of the computer as well.

I wouldn't stress it too much - just go with the Macbook Air if you need 1 machine for dual purposes and that's more convenient for you - even if that's not "ideal" (i.e. a dedicated Mac would be run stripped of everything including software not essential to serving music).

If you really want something higher end / audiophile for music serving / streaming, get something dedicated like the Auralic Aries starting at $1K or something similar.  Not only will it sound better but the maintenance will be easier and the performance better overall.

That about sums it up.  :thumb: Good advice.

Don't sweat it and do whatever is convenient. A better player (Pure Music etc..) will help with sonics more than any other tweaks which when all added up are still marginal improvements. Instead of dumping money into a MAC, you would do better w an Aries or  Sonore, etc.. for the same amount.  In the meantime just enjoy yourself,     MACS sound great (w a player as mentioned).

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #4 on: 5 Mar 2015, 11:27 pm »
Yup - agreed - better player software whether its Pure Music / Audiovarna on top of iTunes or even Jriver will all sound better than iTunes - especially in memory play mode - and will all likely make a bigger difference than Air vs Mini. 

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #5 on: 6 Mar 2015, 04:25 pm »
How does a MacBook take less shelf space?

If you're listening with the MacBook on your lap, you'll need a long cable.  Long USB cables have sonic issues.  Many of the "respected" cables aren't available past 2 meters.  Even the longest USB cables are limited to 15 feet and again the "respected" ones aren't cheap.  I know, I ended up with a MacBook Air and I have been looking.

What's the alternative?  Slide the MacBook into a 1/2 inch slot between gear?  Put the MacBook on the floor?  BTW, Thunderbolt is limited to 2 meters.