Re: Zu Omen - cheap or cheerful or both?

Poultrygeist

« Reply #400 on: 11 Jan 2011, 12:27 pm »
I purchased two black industrial type carpet/floor mats from Home Depot. Cut them into 4 12x12 inch squares and glued the grippy rubber sides together with the carpeted ribbed sides facing outward and contacting the Omen feet and floor. I ran the ribbed sides parallel with the speaker fronts which makes for a nice visual effect but they sound better than the concrete pavers I tried as a base.

These double thickness ribbed carpet pads act like dampening material and tightened the bass significantly. Sliding the Omens on hardwood floors can be done with one finger.

With a 2 inch lift in front and the 1 inch lift in back combined with the thick ribbed carpet mats the sound is good enough to stop my desire for further tweaking. 

djbnh

On each Omen Def's negative speaker terminal I put one of Rich Shultz' hook-style EVS Ground Enhancers (AC thread here; my comments here). Very nice positive changes, just when I thought it couldn't get better. [NOTE: subsequently applied a second set to each of the negative terminals of my mono amps and didn't care for that presentation so off they came from the monos.] Price = $55 shipped for 4, a steal for what they did in my system with my gear.

FYI - my SCs have banana plugs that didn't present any issues with installing the EVS Ground enhancers (the EVS Ground Enhancer was simply hooked over the neg post and tightened to the post with the post's knurled knob). If you use spades, the thread posters advise to have the EVS placed closest to the speaker back, then place the spade, then tighten down. I'm read that the RCA versions have nice effects on HT video and audio. YMMV.

sebrof

« Reply #402 on: 17 Jan 2011, 10:01 pm »
With a 2 inch lift in front and the 1 inch lift in back combined with the thick ribbed carpet mats the sound is good enough to stop my desire for further tweaking.

I have my Omens on spikes with a 2" in front and 1" in back sitting on a board on top of my carpet. I THINK I may be getting close. I was out of town last week so I've still got less than 100 hours on them, but they are sounding very good. I'd be happy to stop right now if I thought I couldn't do any better, but I'm pretty sure I can do better with a tweak here and there.
The biggest improvement I've had so for was getting the Zu Mission speaker cables, but I was using DIY cables before (if you cut off the ends of extension cords that is still considered DIY!!  :D)

Poultrygeist

« Reply #403 on: 19 Jan 2011, 12:57 pm »
I'm enjoying the Omens with my Woods Patio Cords from Walmart. It seemed like I had to run that weedwhacker forever before those cords were properly burnt-in.

Gopher

« Reply #404 on: 19 Jan 2011, 03:01 pm »
I'm enjoying the Omens with my Woods Patio Cords from Walmart. It seemed like I had to run that weedwhacker forever before those cords were properly burnt-in.

LOL!  I used to use the White Lightening Moonshines myself.

I used the extension cord on a TV for a couple days before turning them into speaker cables.  Was planning to use the fridge, but it was too much of a pita.

JoMoCo

• Large Format - Big Sound...
« Reply #405 on: 19 Jan 2011, 06:52 pm »

I am also using the Woods Patio Cords (Thanks to Jeff Day et all...) with my Omens which are still breaking in....

In my large space I have NOT seen much change, positive or negative by changing height.  Maybe that will change after the speakers settle down as they continue to be morphing even after the 400hr mark now.  I have decided I will not be sending them back to Zu and will probably add a furniture leg to raise the height and finish the Omen "look"....

Poultrygeist

« Reply #406 on: 19 Jan 2011, 11:36 pm »
Nice gams!

Bugs

Re: Re: Zu Omen - cheap or cheerful or both?
« Reply #407 on: 20 Jan 2011, 02:48 pm »
Hi all, new to the forum.  Following this thread inspired me to invest in a pair of Omens from Music Direct.  It was a toss up for me between a pair of Druid mkiv 08s or the Omens.  From the tone of the comments the Omens sound like thry might have the edge.  How are the regular Omens sounding now that you guys have had the chance to run them for a couple of months?

Best,

sebrof

« Reply #408 on: 20 Jan 2011, 07:08 pm »
LOL!  I used to use the White Lightening Moonshines myself.

I used the extension cord on a TV for a couple days before turning them into speaker cables.  Was planning to use the fridge, but it was too much of a pita.
You guys are killin' me. I thought I was the only one. I hesitated to even mention my DIY extension cords and now it seems that everyone's using them.

(I wonder what the resale value is on these...)

I will do a more detailed compare with the Moonshines vs. the Zu Missions soon, but it seemed that the Missions made a huge difference.

sebrof

Re: Re: Zu Omen - cheap or cheerful or both?
« Reply #409 on: 20 Jan 2011, 07:14 pm »
Hi all, new to the forum.  Following this thread inspired me to invest in a pair of Omens from Music Direct.  It was a toss up for me between a pair of Druid mkiv 08s or the Omens.  From the tone of the comments the Omens sound like thry might have the edge.  How are the regular Omens sounding now that you guys have had the chance to run them for a couple of months?

Best,

Hey Bugs - I've only had my Standard Omens for a few weeks, but they are sounding very good. I have a couple of other pairs of good speakers in my home and I have no intention of sending them back.
It took me a while to find the right position in the room, as well as the right height to space them over the floor (they port from the bottom). I'm still fine tuning.
A lot of what I've read about the Druids has been mixed, seems that a smaller subset of people like them, and many do not. I've read almost nothing negative about the Omens, although it's very early in the product life cycle. I don't think it's a stretch to say that a new pair of Omens with a 60-day is a safer bet than a used pair of Druids that may become harder and harder to sell if you don't like them.

TKonrad.NOLA

« Reply #410 on: 20 Jan 2011, 08:31 pm »
Hi all,

I have been following this thread for a while and think I am pretty close to ordering a pair of Omens.  I have a few questions; Are the Omens officially back to $1500 at Zu or are they matching the $999 that Music Direct is offering?  Has anyone that ordered from Music Direct received theirs?  Have they changed what finishes they are offered in?  Thanks in advance.

sebrof

« Reply #411 on: 20 Jan 2011, 09:30 pm »
Hi all,

I have been following this thread for a while and think I am pretty close to ordering a pair of Omens.  I have a few questions; Are the Omens officially back to $1500 at Zu or are they matching the $999 that Music Direct is offering?  Has anyone that ordered from Music Direct received theirs?  Have they changed what finishes they are offered in?  Thanks in advance.

The list on Zu's website shows $1,500, but if you really wanted to buy direct I would call and ask them to give you the MD price and terms.
I received mine from MD at the end of December.
Not sure about the finishes.

kg4big

« Reply #412 on: 22 Jan 2011, 12:23 am »
I am an Omen owner. I bought floor models from Music Direct just before the new year Dec 28th I believe..... anyway........

I have around 450 hours on them and really like them. My previous speakers were Maggies...1.2 QR. Not quite as detailed as the maggies but much more dynamic with soundstage width and depth  as good if not better. Just what I was looking for. Bass and Kick Drum are WONDERFULL!

I am using a McCormack DNA-1 amp and a McCormack RLD-1 Pre. My Digital front end is an Audio Research Corp. CD-3.

I have carpeting and concrete floors and used them with the spikesand 1" gap for 3 weeks. I changed this week to a 12"x12" by 5/8 thick MDF shelf material piece under them with 11/16" equal gap between the bottom of the speaker and the 12x12 mdf.The MDF is on the carpet with no spikes as of yet.

For me the bass was a bit muddy and overbearing with the spikes and carpet with a 1" gap on the bottom. The MDF under the speakers have cleared the bass up big time. I much prefer this to the carpet under the speakers.

Bass is tight , full, and very "tunefull"

YMMV of course. Just my input.

Would love to hear others experiments as no / few reviews.  Sure is more fun that way BTW......

One more thing..... Breakin is for real and slow. This is my first loudspeaker with a big full range driver so I was really shocked how much these change over the first 300 hours or so.

Ken

jakebake

« Reply #413 on: 22 Jan 2011, 08:52 am »
Been thinking about getting either the tekton lores or zu omens and i found this thread. I have a few questions... you guys that have them what do you think of the omens now? Did you ever get around to trying the lores as well?
I am looking for good detail and really good soundstage/imaging? How are these with that?

jazzchaos

« Reply #414 on: 22 Jan 2011, 02:47 pm »
I just ordered a pair of Omens yesterday direct from Zu. They are still honoring the promo price of $999 + free shipping in the CONUS. With the 60 day trial with free return shipping, I figure there is nothing really to lose.

From the look of the reviews I will be in for a treat once they break in.

Sean

PSB Guy

« Reply #415 on: 23 Jan 2011, 04:54 pm »
Where's the shootout ?  Not much love for the Tektons.
I don't think Eric over at Tekton ever got back to Mariusz regarding a shootout. Too bad, I would have been very interested in seeing one too.

Cornelis

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #416 on: 23 Jan 2011, 06:48 pm »
Where's the shootout ?  Not much love for the Tektons.

I don't think Eric over at Tekton ever got back to Mariusz regarding a shootout. Too bad, I would have been very interested in seeing one too.

Cornelis

Well....if Mariusz is "tweaking" his Zu speakers....that would not be a "fair shootout"... :?

Bugs

« Reply #417 on: 26 Jan 2011, 02:17 pm »
I just ordered a pair of Omens yesterday direct from Zu. They are still honoring the promo price of $999 + free shipping in the CONUS. With the 60 day trial with free return shipping, I figure there is nothing really to lose.

From the look of the reviews I will be in for a treat once they break in.

Sean

I was talking to Zu yesterday and they are still honoring the $999.99 prince with shippping.  The cost does hit your credit card immediaely with a four week ship date.  Anybody remember what the sale price was on the Superflys.

Sam-fi

« Reply #418 on: 26 Jan 2011, 09:39 pm »
I am starting to think that as these tweeks add up and the def is now $3100 and my upgraded amp is far from cheep (though SO chearful!) we should find a new area to talk about our new zu speakers. Is there a new thread for this?

Thanks,
Sam

Bugs

« Reply #419 on: 3 Feb 2011, 07:07 am »
So all you guys out there on the front lines of the Zu Omen revolution; are they keepers or are they a slight disraction on the bumpy road of life.  I haven't heard them, but I have a pair on order and I sure hope that they are better than my 30 year old Boston A400s.