VPMS LRC kit instructions?

Hemy

Re: VPMS LRC kit instructions?
« Reply #20 on: 7 Nov 2013, 01:15 pm »
But will he do it for no cost or little cost? I already have it "together" but I don't think it is right at all and it is not fully "connected" either. John could you please find out the cost for me ahead of time. I would really like to get this thing in working shape!

John Casler

« Reply #21 on: 7 Nov 2013, 11:15 pm »
But will he do it for no cost or little cost? I already have it "together" but I don't think it is right at all and it is not fully "connected" either. John could you please find out the cost for me ahead of time. I would really like to get this thing in working shape!

I don't know anyone who can afford to do things for free nowdays.  :lol:

This fellow has built and rebuilt many VMPS speakers and OXO's to an excellent result, as he has studied Brian's work for the last 10 years.  He has many models himself including Subs, OXO's and D-OXOs.

He is currently building 2 pair of RM v60s.  He just finished testing and working on a pair of OXO's to be used in a D-OXO system.

He will look over and test your LRC for $100 and return shipping.

If he has to repair or rebuild it, he will tell you what needs to be done and labor/parts if needed.

You will also have the option of doing the repairs yourself if you want to try with his advice after he looks at it.

I will PM you his personal phone Number.  He is Kat Krossovers.

Hemy

« Reply #22 on: 12 Nov 2013, 03:11 pm »
Thanks John, I called him, as you might know, andhave shipped it to him. Sounding like it might not cost to much X fingers!

davidc1

« Reply #23 on: 11 Dec 2020, 12:14 am »
Sorry to drudge up an old thread...but, I have had the fortunate experience to buy the cabinet and speakers for an LRC with the FST Ribbon Tweeter (Aurum Cantus G2 Ribbon Tweeter), not the original Spiral Tweeter. I got this from George AB on the forum. Great guy.

I need to purchase the crossover components. I have crossover components from an old parted out Super Tower, but it appears only the L-Pads are the proper values.

Does anybody happen to have the instructions or schematics for the LRC by chance?

Can you point me to Kat Krossover mentioned earlier?

Thanks very much.

GeorgeAb

« Reply #24 on: 15 Dec 2020, 10:20 pm »
This is the schematic from my LRC.  Note if you have older 5 ohm neo (that is what you have David) then you do not use 2 ohm 25W resistor in series with neo; schematic shows resistor with 2 ohm resistor. 

Brian used a lot of Solen or Axon capacitors. I have no issues with the Dayton Audio 1% Metalized Polyproplene capacitors for larger values say a couple 20uF and then some smaller capacitors (all in parallel) to get your 54.4uF value, the Audyn are nice.  Try to get close to shown value since you are not matching another speaker not as critical, but get close.

Custom value of inductors can be ordered from Meniscus Audio.  They are reasonably priced and Meniscus throws in a couple pieces of candy (I like their style). 

12 or 14 guage hook up wire for woofers, something mil spec stranded 19 strands, silver coated.  14 awg Analysis wire was an upgrade at $2.20/foot.  For this application I would just get good Mil wire.  Midrange hook-up wire, UL 1213, 18 AWG, 19 Strands, Silver-Coated Copper, TFE, Red (+), Red/Green (-) (or colors of your choosing).  Tweeter hook-up wire, UL 1213, 20 AWG, 19 Strands, Silver-Coated Copper, TFE, Green (+), Blue (-) (or colors of your choosing).  You can use 18 guage throughout for neo and tweet.  eBay has some quality mil wire in short runs say 10 foot for reasonable cost.          

Follow the point to point wiring per the schematic, hot glue your large components to cabinet and keep good physical separation of inductors. Double check your work and you are golden. Stuff some fiberglass insulation in cabinet and enjoy. 

I replaced a fairly high end center channel with a VMPS LRC in my home theater, really nice upgrade.  Goes substantially lower due to cabinet size, but the most substantial upgrade was dialog articulation due to the neo.        

« Last Edit: 15 Dec 2020, 11:41 pm by GeorgeAb »

GeorgeAb

« Reply #25 on: 14 Feb 2021, 08:20 pm »
@davidc1 did you ever finish your LRC and if so give us the deets? Forum rules; if no pictures it did not happen.