What LPs are worth money?

JoshK

What LPs are worth money?
« on: 6 Nov 2009, 12:50 am »
I have a neighbor that was willed a huge collection of collections.  Long story but he said the gentleman had around 5,000 LPs (guess) spanning many eras.  He was a collector, not an audiophile so it sounds like these were not really used. 

Anyway, I agreed to help him look through the collection for valuable LPs.  In exchange I can take what I like.  So I'm asking for ones to keep an eye peeled for.

andyr

Re: What LPs are worth money?
« Reply #1 on: 6 Nov 2009, 07:59 am »
Gee, Josh, that's a hard one!  :o  Valuable ones would I guess be sealed ... or particular labels like RCA "Shaded Dogs", 45rpms, Direct-to-Disc, Three Blind Mice, 1/2-speed mastered .... etc.  But there could also be particular sought after versions of classical things by a particular artist - like Glenn Gould playing Bach?

You might want to have a look at www.audiophileusa.com to see what LPs sell for $50 or more, used?

Sounds like you could do with some help in terms of choosing LPs which are worth some money - even if not big $$$?  :lol:  Where are you located?  :D

Regards,

Andy

chosenhandle

« Reply #2 on: 6 Nov 2009, 02:14 pm »
popsike.com will tell you quickly what titles have sold for on ebay, if you are curious about valuations.

There are people out there that will buy entire collections. If your neighbor wants to dispose of them, perhaps a single party can offer him a fair price. I personally buy jazz and classical titles from individuals who buy large collections and resell them. My days of buying unknown quality LP's on ebay are long gone!

JoshK

« Reply #3 on: 6 Nov 2009, 02:47 pm »
Thanks.   I think the popsike website should help a lot, at least to get some ideas.

orthobiz

« Reply #4 on: 7 Nov 2009, 11:09 am »
Thanks! Never knew about popsike.

Paul

orthobiz

« Reply #5 on: 7 Nov 2009, 11:16 am »
My three daughters are into collecting vinyl, ages 15-20.
From my limited experience looking for records to flesh out their collections, they (and their friends) value classic artists like Hendrix, Doors, Beatles, Pink Floyd, Bowie, Kinks.

With respect to the Kinks as an example, you can get as many Sleepwalker copies as you could possibly want but just try to find Arthur or Something Else or Village Green. With Bowie, you can get Let's Dance but will have more trouble finding Ziggy Stardust and even more trouble finding Hunky Dory.

I guess the 70's and late 60's titles are harder to find. When I ask vendors about where these disks are, I've been told they were widely available, say, 5 yrs ago, but now fly out the door with the resurgence in vinyl. My 15 year old saved up and paid 50 bucks for sealed versions of Bowie's Hunky Dory and Space Oddity. Could this depraved music hobby possibly be genetically transmitted???

Paul

Wayner

« Reply #6 on: 7 Nov 2009, 12:34 pm »
I have 2 friends that are record collectors/sellers. I think they use a service that grades LPs and has a value chart  but I have no idea what it is. I will email one of them (Elton) and see what he has to say or if you want to email him: eltonh@meltel.net. I know he needs the business, he possibly can find a record or 2 for you and can maybe point you in the right direction of it's market value.

Wayner