Technics to reintroduce turntable line

neobop

• BIRD LIVES

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Re: Technics to reintroduce turntable line
« Reply #1 on: 3 Sep 2015, 04:38 pm »
I am not surprised.  Technics (Panny) apparently is trying to get back in the game.  The Coax speakers were little too hot for me but they are trying to get back into high end audio.

Berndt

« Reply #2 on: 3 Sep 2015, 04:48 pm »
I heard they are also reassuring the sp10.  It'll gut the vintage prices.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #3 on: 3 Sep 2015, 05:05 pm »
I don't think anyone knows yet what they'll do.   The prototype in the picture looks like direct drive.  Look at the bottom under the platter.

:dunno:

sunnydaze

« Reply #5 on: 3 Sep 2015, 05:57 pm »
I heard they are also reassuring the sp10.  It'll gut the vintage prices.

It's reassuring to know....that they are reassuring the sp10!       :lol:

Art_Chicago

« Reply #6 on: 3 Sep 2015, 06:31 pm »
I don't think anyone knows yet what they'll do.   The prototype in the picture looks like direct drive.  Look at the bottom under the platter.

:dunno:

No place to put a tonearm?!  :D
New cartridge-less turntable!

SteveRB

« Reply #7 on: 3 Sep 2015, 06:38 pm »

It's for kids to spin the disk while they use the MP3 download card in the sleeve.

Art_Chicago

« Reply #8 on: 3 Sep 2015, 07:07 pm »
Seriously though-- I hope they come up with a decent and reasonably priced table like 1200MK2 I am using now.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #9 on: 3 Sep 2015, 07:11 pm »
It's not uncommon to put an SP10 tonearm on a pod.

MaxCast

« Reply #10 on: 4 Sep 2015, 11:27 am »

Hmmm, an optical device that reads the grooves perfectly then transfers that information to an analogue MC structure which passes a low level signal to... you know the rest.  No inner groove distortion, no arguing over which alignment best, no needles to wear out.   :)

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #11 on: 4 Sep 2015, 04:32 pm »
By the look of it Technics will start back up at the bottom end of things.   Although we won't know what's really going on until 2016, the above deck looks like entry level.  Just imagine a hole in the plinth where the arm would normally be, or an armboard which could be drilled to accommodate different arms.

Someone mentioned the price of an SP-10 being affected.  I doubt that would happen anytime soon.  A reconditioned SP-10MkII goes for around $2.5K depending on condition - plinth or not, arm or not.  A MkIII is a little more expensive.  Here's a reconditioned MkIII w/o plinth by Artisan Fidelity:
https://app.audiogon.com/listings/turntables-technics-sp10mk-iii-serial-number-dk2301c050-2015-08-17-analog-46324-hammond-in

I wonder what a new SP-10 would cost.  It could be considerably higher than the $11K refurbished MkIII ? 

Speaking of arms, Technics made one of the all time great arms with a removable headshell.  Bearing friction in either plane is < 5mg.  EPA-100:

This arm sat on a base similar to the 1200 arm.

Technics also misfired with some beautiful decks w/P-mount type arms.   I wouldn't mind having one of these to mess around with - SL-M3:

Maybe if we're lucky Technics won't be timid and release some killer product.  Now's the time Technics.  VPI direct is $30K.  Enough room to work?
neo

Wayner

« Reply #12 on: 4 Sep 2015, 04:58 pm »
I'm pretty sure the photo of the "concept" deck is merely a primitive proto-type, so the media and fan base would have something to look at. I hope its not a $5k deck. The world needs it to be under $1500. But maybe that is wishful thinking on my part.

We will have to be patient and see what happens.

'ner

Jeff K

« Reply #13 on: 4 Sep 2015, 06:16 pm »

Jeff K

« Reply #14 on: 5 Sep 2015, 09:47 pm »
Apparently they will do a revised SL1200 (MK7) .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=nOj9MTlLrG4

xsb7244

« Reply #15 on: 15 Sep 2015, 12:25 am »
I did not think this day would ever come.  A Technics turntable on the horizon.  I think Panasonic is withholding details on purpose.  The excitement begins.