Anyone used Markaudio Alpair 7.3 for OB?

Ultralight

Anyone used Markaudio Alpair 7.3 for OB?
« on: 27 Mar 2015, 09:39 am »
As the title asks.  Is it even appropriate for that driver to be OB?   And what configuration did you use?  Results? 

Thanks!
UL

matevana

Re: Anyone used Markaudio Alpair 7.3 for OB?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Mar 2015, 11:22 am »
I spent some time with the new Alpair 6p (paper cone) in OB. Not the same driver but still had that characteristic Mark Audio sound. I wasn't as impressed in an OB setting as I was previously in it's "pencil" cabinet alignment. The Seas MU10 seemed far superior in my application.

Both the Alpair and the Seas were run full range flanked by a dome tweeter (used as a super tweeter) and a 10" bass driver crossed at 110Hz, 24dB/oct. In this configuration the Seas driver was superior in almost every regard, but especially where vocals were concerned. The curv cone material on the Seas is quite good!  Perhaps the anti-shout voicing that is built into most Alpairs doesnt play well when the back wave isn't fully damped.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #2 on: 7 Apr 2015, 01:56 am »
In an OB you'd want to use the A7x (or A6) with a big woofer as exemplified by Martin King's passive OB. Even if you had a monster size baffle, 110 Hz is too low (as per matevana)  for this application.

dave

Monte Verdi

« Reply #3 on: 23 Apr 2015, 10:55 pm »
I had the Alpair 7.2 in an OB and it sounded quite nice, though a bit lean, needless to say the design was really  :duh: not meant for this, shortly thereafter I went to the Alpair12P when it was released and have never looked back :D!

Alpair12P

Alpair7.2